Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Gag shallow water fishing

Air Force vet needs a little help. What's a good set up for shallow water gags. I have a stout jigging rod and 5000 series reel with 80lbs floro leader 65 lbs braid. 3ft leader or longer? Size hook? Bait choice dead or alive? I'm central and east coast guy the winds rough waters have put me in new waters and I'm enjoying doing somethin new. I'll be fishing out of bayport fl. Any Intel I would really appreciate.

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 673 Officer
    Troll a 4' to 5' leader pulling Manns Stretch 25 or 30 diving plugs - white/red head, silver/blue back, mullet color - over structure in 30 - 45 feet. You need to find decent hard bottom; anywhere there are a number of stone crab traps is a good place to start. Be careful not to snag a trap line. Trolling is a great way to find good hard bottom that you can then anchor or drift and live or cut bait fish later. Great way to find structure and mark new spots. Good luck and post up some pics when you get 'em.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• centralflanglercentralflangler Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I'll give it a shot thanks for the Intel hopefully I'll get some pics on the board.
  • DucksterDuckster Posts: 548 Officer
    I've been spanked by inshore Gags with a Penn 113 h 4/0 in 40 ft using 80lb main and 80 leader. Don't come under gunned because trolling up a gag and dropping on a gag at anchor are totally different
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,001 Officer
    Duckster wrote: »
    I've been spanked by inshore Gags with a Penn 113 h 4/0 in 40 ft using 80lb main and 80 leader. Don't come under gunned because trolling up a gag and dropping on a gag at anchor are totally different

I would agree. If I'm actively dropping for gags nearshore I fish 100lb main line, 80lb leader, Talica 16II locked on Talus 80-200lb. Fight is won or lost in the first 5 seconds.
  • KeepnitreelKeepnitreel Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    I like trolling different colors to see what they are into (sometimes it doesn't matter and they crush everything) but my go to is a rapala xr-30 in dorado with the green lip. Another rap i go with is one of the big metal lipped 16 foot divers in mackeral that i put down on the deep troll......another big factor is distance of your drop back.......I stagger my lines......one back for 20 seconds and one back for 15......stay between 4 and 6 knots and criss cross over the spots of bottom you want to fish! Good luck, hope this helps.
  • KeepnitreelKeepnitreel Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    OH i forgot the most important part.....if you get a strike on the troll DO NOT STOP THE BOAT.......slow down a little if you want but keep the boat moving and pressure on the fish.......not only will this stop him from getting into the rocks, but many times that 2nd rod will go off before you land the first one!
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,237 Captain
    I generally fish 50 lb main. I try and stay with 60 or even less on leader but if I have to will go to 80. I don't think I have ever put down 100 lb test or bigger for grouper. That is not to say I haven't broken off before but that set up gets me 90% of them. Trolling is a great way to cover a lot of area and find spots. Deep diving plugs or jigs with planers.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • centralflanglercentralflangler Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I appreciate all that replied �� Hopefully I can get it done this week before it shuts down.
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    I would agree. If I'm actively dropping for gags nearshore I fish 100lb main line, 80lb leader, Talica 16II locked on Talus 80-200lb. Fight is won or lost in the first 5 seconds.

Jeez you don't play around! Sounds like a killer setup.

I usually use 40 or 50 momoi hi-catch mono with a 4-5 ft double line to the swivel, 4-5 foot 60 or 80 leader. Reels of choice are Pro Gear with drags cranked down, and rods with long enough rear grips to get under your armpit and still reel comfortably. This is for dropping live/dead baits. I usually use lever drags trolling with planers, but 4/0's would be fine.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,001 Officer
    ericf wrote: »
    Jeez you don't play around! Sounds like a killer setup.

I usually use 40 or 50 momoi hi-catch mono with a 4-5 ft double line to the swivel, 4-5 foot 60 or 80 leader. Reels of choice are Pro Gear with drags cranked down, and rods with long enough rear grips to get under your armpit and still reel comfortably. This is for dropping live/dead baits. I usually use lever drags trolling with planers, but 4/0's would be fine.

At a good Gag spot the bite shuts down if you start losing fish.