Best boat ramp and channel to use to get to Content Keys?

I was wondering what the best boat ramp and channel is to get to the Content Keys by boat from Big Pine key? Thanks,

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    There is a public ramp on the north side of the road and the east side of Spanish Harbour. Last time I went there it wasn't that hot of a ramp but I have used it to go to the Contents. Once you go under the bridge to No Name Key you are on your own to the Contents, I managed to get there without damaging my lower unit.
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Thanks Lobstercatcher229.
  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    You can also put in at the Old Wooden Bridge Fishing Camp at the No Name Bridge and head into Big Spanish Channel from there. There is a fee for the ramp but you save a few miles on the run and don't have to trailer from Big Pine.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    DogDoc wrote: »
    You can also put in at the Old Wooden Bridge Fishing Camp at the No Name Bridge and head into Big Spanish Channel from there. There is a fee for the ramp but you save a few miles on the run and don't have to trailer from Big Pine.

I appreciate that information. Is that a pretty good boat ramp for a 22 foot Open Fisherman?
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,332 Officer
    "old wooden bridge, no name bridge" is anyone else tired of our outdated infrastructure? I wish we had better bridges, or at least better names for them. We need a modern day Ben Franklin...
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • kempsharkkempshark Posts: 125 Deckhand
    "old wooden bridge, no name bridge" is anyone else tired of our outdated infrastructure? I wish we had better bridges, or at least better names for them. We need a modern day Ben Franklin...

Of course officially Bogie Channel Bridge.....
    Nah.....I'll eat Hellmann's. :wink

Sorry if I missed something:...Old Wooden Bridge is the name of the guest cottages business which owns the ramp about which he was asking...and the bridge is the bridge to No Name Key. The bridge is in good shape and not outdated at all.

What I am tired of is Forum posters who seem to enjoy derailing a thread...this OP was asking a valid question about options to access the Contents. Many folks know the area much better than me, but when several days had passed and the Ramp near Spanish Harbor Bridge (did I get that name right?) was the only one mentioned, I thought I'd suggest that he consider the Old Wooden Bridge fish ramp/guest cottages ramp that is closer and more secure. Neither his question nor my recommendation had anything to do with outdated infrastructure or with Ben Franklin.
    It has been mentioned on the Forum many times before, but alot of folks have stopped posting because instead of intelligent and friendly information sharing and responses to their questions, they too often get smart-alec answers or criticism because they ask the question in the first place. Most of the first-time or limited posters who ask questions do not know the inside jokes or personalities of the frequent posters over the years; they are simply trying to get some info that will help them or their families better enjoy their experience in the Keys. Many of them (us) have limited time and funds to spend, and getting some info ahead of time can really help. I don't think that Ben Franklin or expanded public works projects will really help that guy get to the Contents efficiently.
    Over the years I have enjoyed sharing information about our fishing in the Keys, and have been glad to help answer questions that were within my limited scope of experience and knowledge. Maybe it's more appropriate to share our success and frustrations with friends back home and down there that may actually care to hear about them, and to answer questions by PM when we have information that is pertinent. That way, posters avoid unwarranted criticism and editorial comments.
    I appreciate that information. Is that a pretty good boat ramp for a 22 foot Open Fisherman?

Yes; we've launched our 21 foot bay boat there. Check out their website for more info. Google Old Wooden Bridge Fish Camp...that will get you there.
  • kempsharkkempshark Posts: 125 Deckhand
    I agree....used to use the ramp at OWB to launch my boats (16' flats boat and 22' center console) all the time. I was just commenting on the actual name of the bridge. And, yes it is a decent, contemporary bridge that I have fished off of (and motored under and over) hundreds of times. Definitely shortens the runs to the Contents versus launching up on US1 or at Bahia Hinda.
    Nah.....I'll eat Hellmann's. :wink
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Thanks DogDoc, I like the idea of being closer to our target area even if I have to pay the fee. Thanks everyone else for the history/geography lessons!
  • sugarloafersugarloafer Posts: 195 Deckhand
    with a boat that size and especially for a first timer----definitely follow the big channel to the gulf and come in contents passage from the gulf side.

X is 24 47 55..................81 39 05

one can get in from the flats side but its extremely tricky.

if you are trying to get into the 'hang out' beach area inside the contents.......which is west of contents passage in between two of the mangrove islands.......at low tide a newbie might be walking the boat thru.......
    custom self built 400lb 4" draft 16' microskiff
    custom self built 34' cold molded diesel flybridge lobsterboat
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    That ramp is new, good parking.
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,217 Officer
    take blimp road in cudjoe and there is a ramp at the end........save a lot of time or Parmers resort
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.