Home Conservation Front

Headboat Collaborative?

raven316raven316 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
I read a number of posts about this that are from last year. What were the results of the 2015 program and what is the feeling now? I'm going down to the gulf next week and wonder if it is a bad idea to go out on one of those boats?

thanks

Replies

• XafXaf Posts: 1,125 Officer
    I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "Headboat Collaborative" but I know not all headboats are involved. Two out of three that I am familiar with opted not to get the necessary permits to keep red snapper and gag grouper year round. I don't know the numbers the other boat with the permits is allowed keep. I suggest you check with the headboat you would be going on and let your conscience be your guide.
  • raven316raven316 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    That is the name of the program that allows 20 boats from Texas to Fla to fish for snapper and grouper outside of the normal season.

Gulf Headboat Collaborative
  • raven316 wrote: »
    That is the name of the program that allows 20 boats from Texas to Fla to fish for snapper and grouper outside of the normal season.

Gulf Headboat Collaborative

Its a collaborative sponsored by the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF). They have pushed it much like IFQ's and Sector Separation. They (EDF) are even being funded by the NMFS to evaluate "Success" of this scheme. The biggest thing is how the quota was arrived at for them. It was "Supposed" to be based on actual landing results as previously monitored....but one boat in Texas got more fish than ever could have been taken in a season assuming zero weather days, 100% capacity and 100% limits..... Not exactly fair or equitable by any means. The data is kept
    private, allowing only total landings as a collective to be published. So much for the promised transparency of "OUR" fisheries and management. Some boats in this scheme are selling fish tags themselves so as to allow you to "Buy" your fish in advance...or right to harvest. It was all a push to get these schemes in play at the time since their Recreational Catch Shares was taking too long to get going. The same names on the Pro Sector Separation push that threw most recreational anglers under the bus (EDF Funded), and the commercial IFQ collaborative (EDF Funded) are on this collaborative. If you believe in fair and equal access for all anglers, then the answer would be to not support any that are part of this fishery privatization scheme.
    Thanks ACME. I guess that I am trying to figure that out. I save my money all year to go down to the gulf at Thanksgiving. From what I gather this year I can't keep red snapper, trigger, amberjack (which most people threw back when I started going down 30 years ago), and red grouper. Last year I spent $180 to go on a charter and came back with 5 lbs of white and mingo filets. I looked at the boats out out Destin and, as you say, there are three that are in this program. If this gets accepted on a wider basis I guess it's juts anothe nail in the coffin.
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,595 Captain
    The Magnuson-Stevens Act requires a referendum when IFQs are proposed for a fishery. What is happening now with Amendment 41 and 42 is to push for what was done with the headboat collaborative. The first year, they gave the 17 boats (in the headboat collaborative) almost double the quota they should have gotten and they were allowed to fish anytime they wanted from January 1st until around September/October, while the rest of us got access to fish 9 days (9 months vs 9 days is our Gulf Council's interpretation of "fair and equitable").

I think what they are trying to do is to get the Gulf Council to establish cooperatives, angler management organizations, etc. so that the feds' allocate the fish to this entity - not to individual boats. Then the managers of that entity (let's say cooperative) are the responsible party for divvying up the fish between the members of that cooperative, effectively giving each boat their own personal IFQ, without calling it an IFQ, thus circumventing the legal requirement of holding a referendum. This way, the EDF-funded goons can claim that they aren't pushing for an IFQ, but getting an IFQ all the same. Sleight of hand and misdirection seems to be the preferred method of fisheries management these days - there is nothing "fair and equitable" about Amendments 41 and 42.
    Thanks Tom

So my question is what to do in the sort term? There is another thread about this in the Panhandle section that names nearly all the Destin boats as collaborators even though they are not in the collaborative. There don't seem to be many people asking about this and I find little recent information when I google the issue. I can drive down there and surf fish the entire time, I can go on one of the other Destin Headboats or Charters and keep some mango and white snapper or I could go on one of the three that are in the Collab and (maybe) keep a red snapper? If most of the Destin boats are on the **** list it doesn't give me much choice. At 66 I keep thinking, is this my last trip???
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,491 Officer
    unfortunately raven316 and I don't want to sound like a pessimist but if the SAMFC and NOAA had their way you wouldn't be allowed to keep an edible fish, this trend seems to be ongoing with no end in sight. Hope you get to fish for red snapper and keep a couple god knows none of us on the Atlantic can. Finally forced my hand, selling the boat, already sold most of my offshore gear.
    bay20 wrote: »
    unfortunately raven316 and I don't want to sound like a pessimist but if the SAMFC and NOAA had their way you wouldn't be allowed to keep an edible fish, this trend seems to be ongoing with no end in sight. Hope you get to fish for red snapper and keep a couple god knows none of us on the Atlantic can. Finally forced my hand, selling the boat, already sold most of my offshore gear.

Yea, last year I was fishing at St Simons and was talking to a state DNR agent at the dock. I was moaning about the restrictions on snapper win the Gulf and she laughed, "you should see it here"!
  • Tom HiltonTom Hilton Posts: 1,595 Captain
    raven316 wrote: »
    Thanks Tom

So my question is what to do in the sort term? There is another thread about this in the Panhandle section that names nearly all the Destin boats as collaborators even though they are not in the collaborative. There don't seem to be many people asking about this and I find little recent information when I google the issue. I can drive down there and surf fish the entire time, I can go on one of the other Destin Headboats or Charters and keep some mango and white snapper or I could go on one of the three that are in the Collab and (maybe) keep a red snapper? If most of the Destin boats are on the **** list it doesn't give me much choice. At 66 I keep thinking, is this my last trip???

At this point, I wouldn't worry about it - just go fish. If you want to go on a headboat to catch a snapper, then go - nobody is going to hold it against you.
    All the best,
    Tom
    Tom Hilton wrote: »
    At this point, I wouldn't worry about it - just go fish. If you want to go on a headboat to catch a snapper, then go - nobody is going to hold it against you.
    All the best,
    Tom

I appreciate ALL of your input.

thanks
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,125 Officer
    I agree with Tom. Go fishing and enjoy yourself. I have not heard an uproar over this program. It's just another case of mismanagement of our fisheries that we have to live with. I'll bet that most people who go on the head boats don't even know (or care) about the program.
    I'm thinking that is the case as well. Being 66 I want to make the most of the trips I have left in me!