Speed Jigging Muttons, African Pomps, and other Creatures

Hey All, Hope you guys have been crushing them, been awhile. Took some guys speedjigging in depths of 140-350 ft. using our Jimyjigs. Nice not having to bring a heavy leads and 60 lbs of chum to catch muttons. Leader set up was 40lb. The assist hook acts as the chaff. Lost a few Muttons to the taxman and groupers in 140 ft on rockpiles up off Pickles. Just drifted the ledge, marked the fish and dropped on their heads. No anchoring or chumming. Went out to 300 ft and did the same, marked the rockpiles and broken bottom before we dropped.

The guys I had aboard jig from Kayaks all day, so they had it dialed. Bite was at the low tide then just kept getting and better has the tide started to move. Caught a wide variety of fish and few "fish heads".

Dolphin bite was solid in 450 ft. Been running our new shallow water Kat boat back to the Gulf/Flamingo on windy days. Not much else to report, just fishing. November wind is here. Have a good fall fishing season.

Ryan

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I hadn't seen ppl catching Muttons on Jigs... Awesome !!!
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • woodystikswoodystiks Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Lol, lucked out on that Blackfin!
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 873 Officer
    woodystiks wrote: »
    Lol, lucked out on that Blackfin!

No Kiddin....Already bled out and size adjusted for the cooler!
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 997 Officer
    Call me stupid but I don't see a blackfin????
  • Generic9Generic9 Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    Those are all great fish. Congrats

Scroll the pic to the right using the bar along the bottom of the pic, Reef Bandit.
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 295 Deckhand
    Absolutely killer. Never really tried the speed jigs. Drop down to bottom and crank back hard?

Quality fish indeed!
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Nice catchin'!

Jigging out of the boat can be hard enough... but out of Yaks?! Wow!

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,681 Moderator
    Quality fish. That type of jigging wears me out. :willynilly
    "You'll get your weather"