Cedar Key inshore Veterans Day: no bottomfinder but lucked into grouper, king, Spanis

They say “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while……

With no skool today (& wifer working) our day began at 0525 hours in our driveway in Ponte Vedra as my son, daughter & I did our own Veteran’s Day tribute by saluting the flag & reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and talking about the contributions American men & women have made so we can live the life we have and enjoy being FREE.
Hoo Yah & Thank you Veterans!!

We arrived at Cedar Key at 0825 hours but lost Casey as he was not feeling well so he stayed back. Launching the boat it was just my daughter & I and our plan was to troll up some grouper then hit Sea Horse Reef for Spanish followed by returning to shore and then hit the trout flats. We were without a bottomfinder as I just sent my Furuno in for repair so our plan was to just troll a shallow broad area of intermittent hardbottom we used to stone crab on. Stopping in 19 feet we deployed some grouper plugs despite a fair amount of grass on the surface and within 10 minutes had our first fish.

These photos pretty much describe our day……we did not leave the ~ 20 foot area.

P1030904-XL.jpg
Running out. Awesome prefrontal conditions.

P1030910-XL.jpg
First gag but only 21 inches
(grass was a problem….)

P1030923-XL.jpg
Grass was a pain

Ten minutes later and a nice fish was on.
Edit%202-L.jpg
Kaitlyn on a better fish

Edit-L.jpg
25+ inches and into the fish box

A few Spanish started playing with us too.

P1030916-XL.jpg

P1030920-L.jpg

P1030922-L.jpg
Not playing around

P1030925-L.jpg
Lizard

P1030929-L.jpg
Voracious little black seabass…….too many to count

P1030931-L.jpg
Another Spanish

P1030933-L.jpg
These guys just go for it!!

P1030935-L.jpg

P1030937-L.jpg
King on the initial run pulled some good drag on a grouper rod

P1030941-L.jpg

P1030945-XL.jpg
Went 23 lbs. Kaitlyn’s personal best!

P1030948-L.jpg
Heading to the smoker…….

P1030949-L.jpg
A few more….

P1030951-L.jpg
Voracious little guys!
P1030953-L.jpg
What are these guys thinking?????

We enjoyed a fishy few hours but with Casey sick in Cedar Key we called it a short day. At the dock I spoke with a man who said they tore up the Spanish on Sea Horse Reef….. Offshore it was cool to see a couple of large flocks of ducks flying south, a number of loons and there were a few coots resting on the water too. It’s getting to be that time!!

Short quick day on the water but an awesome time to spend with your daughter!! Back in Ponte Vedra at 2010 hours.

Hoo Yah!
Brian

Replies