Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Bimini Wahoo Smackdown Fall 2015

CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
Transferred stuff from one boat to the one we are using. Fueled. Diver coming in the morn to make the bottom happy. Ten dock carts of stuff loaded on the boat. A few more to go (mostly prizes and tourney related stuff).
Just talked to Misty... She'll be riding over with us and bringing yet more stuff. Got word today that we are currently sitting at 32 paid which ties the record for the last one I run and likely to go over by quite a few. 40 is very real possibility...
Asked if I mind not being the "director". Not at all. Much less stress just helping. Misty doing great job. Get in, help her set up, then rig out cause the boat I'm running will be fishing. Looking forward to it...

Replies

• Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral
    See you guys in 2 days...should be epic! Record # of boats pre-registered! 30 plus!
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    32 paid and 2 comp was my record and shes even or past it today! Shes done a great job!

Two more loads of stuff put aboard and I have the coveted top lady angler custom jewelry piece in my hot little hands fresh from Fed EX and master goldsmith Colin Yarnell!. Goodies from Mitch Roffer arrived as well!
    Compleat wrote: »

I have the coveted top lady angler in my hot little hands!

Geez Paul don't tell your wife! lol
    The prize... Wife doesn't mind. I had the smackdown girls and director Misty and guests for crossing. Smooth as silk but had an over heat issue on a motor that set us back for a half hour while I got steamed, scalded, burnt and toasted... Marina still under construction so kind of a mess but food was good and live music up on the deck sounds good...
    Inspected engine that got hot and not good. Coolant made its way down into the oil pan some how AFTER we tied up... Drained the oil and refilled coolant and still running down slow as it may be its not good. Bringing her home on one engine tomorrow////Leaving boss behind with guests to charter my buddy Steve and at least try to salvage something... !@#$%^&*!!!!
  • mfieldvimfieldvi Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Cracked manifold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SlipkidSlipkid Posts: 241 Officer
    Not good. Be safe on trip home. Let us know how it goes.

Been many years since made a trip home on one motor and I was only a kid and didn't have to worry about it (thanks Uncle Al). Not looking forward to having to do it someday when I have to be the responsible party. Maybe I should practice putting her in a slip on one motor some time...
    2003 Viking 45C
    As predicted... That sucked! On one engine you can only make 8 miles per hour for about 10 hours... Add in changing course to avoid ships, fishermen and divers, its a hot long irritating day at best. To cap it off as we got near the inlet the sky went black and wind howled as I had to go in engine room to preform a few tasks to make the sick engine ready for 30 seconds worth of running just to get in the slip. Took a number of small burns from contact with hot engine as the boat rocked. Somebody must have used our slip and tangled our dock lines as we slid in. Hellacious rain wind and lightning crashing just adding to the nightmare... Finally lines were on. Shut down. Soaked like a drowned rat.
    Most likely a blown gasket, seal, o ring or cracked cooling jacket...
    Its a shame... I really didn't get to get a good feel for the tourney. Misty seemed to have it going on. Not sure of final boat count but looked good. Boss man and guests got a couple near 50 class hoos with Steve at least.
    Was back down at boat at first light. Had to get all my stuff off, get the perrishables off, tackle off, bait off, etc. Then work hours in that still hot engine room. Then clean her up. My head still spins from stress. I know its nobody's fault. Its something mechanical that broke despite close monitoring. Thats part of boating. Still I take it personal. Owner is super guy and hated to see it ruin his valuable recreation time off.
    The ocean slings 10 waves a minute, 600 per hour, 5000 per day, about 7000 days... Thats 35Million!!! times I have been hit!!!Sometimes gentle and sometimes hard. Hits none the less. It comes with the job. I have shared countless cuts and burns and shed gallons of my own blood in this game. My scar count looks like stars in the night sky against my permataned sun baked leathery skin.
    That pales in comparison to what ones own stress can do to a body. I'm in the business of making memories and when they are not good ones I stress... My fault or not doesn't matter. I take it personal. I am also a boat owner and know that feel of hurt when my machine isn't well. It destroys sleep. Focus impossible. Can't eat. Insides churn, acid flows, you want to scream or cry and can't. It eats at ones soul. Only time lets that go away. Sounds like I'm complaining... No, just sharing the other side of being a captain. A little necessary venting if you will. Its what I chose to do. This is my life and just part of it. I'll bounce right back. I'll be catching fish very soon and this will be just another "thing".
  • mike923mike923 Posts: 275 Deckhand
    Anyone know the results?
    With 30 boats and over 120 anglers competing, Wahoo Smackdown VII, hosted by the Bimini Big Game Club Resort & Marina, set a record turnout this past weekend for the popular tournament series.
    Taking home the first place trophy and a $6,750 check was team Pachanga, captained by Carlos Tosca out of Miami. The five-man team’s top five wahoo weighed in at 248.9 pounds. This was Team Pachanga’s first Wahoo Smackdown and this group of anglers had not fished together as a team for five years. Second place was Fishing-A-Loan from St. Augustine, FL with 232.1 pounds and third place went to Nervous Water from Hilton Head, SC with 195.8 pounds.
    The all Ladies Angler team Nearly Impossible won with the largest Wahoo (71.6 pounds) but Team Pachanga was nipping at their heels with a 69.6-pound wahoo.
    Other category winners were Nervous Water in the Ladies Division; Nearly Impossible with largest wahoo (71.6 pounds); Out-of-Line with the largest tuna (6.8 pounds) and Finale with largest mahi (14.6 pounds).
    Tournament Director Misty Wells said the two-day tournament paid more than $20,000 in cash and prizes.
    “This was the biggest and the best Wahoo Smackdown Bimini has ever seen,” said Wells. “The teams and sponsors are already signing up for the next tournament in April 2016. In this tournament, every ounce counted, some teams were separated on the board by only two ounces.”