This is our Florida

This is our Florida
Last week's full moon Florida Fisherman's over night trip deep into the heart of our Gulf of Mexico returned Sunday morning with the entire boat completely limited out, two day limit 20 each, of Middle Ground's sized mangrove snapper:
1_zps6qajcpvc.jpg
Can we do it again on the dark side of the moon phase? Only one way to find out...let's go see together:
2_zps2hlac7y4.jpg
It's always an honor to have ladies fishing with us. Joining us today for her first 39 hour snapper trip Is St. Pete's own Cynthia of 'Paintings by Cynthia.' This young lady is a real pro at catching the very good eating grey snapper on 1/2 day trips. Can she master the 'art' of harvesting
the hard to fool deep water mangrove snapper? Keep an eye on the lady in the green shirt as we find out together:
3_zpswrsgy8pm.jpg
As we leave beautiful Madeira Beach, the weather is picture Florida perfect. Low humidity, a balmy 85 degrees, and a gentle breeze over crystal clear warm water...'This is our Florida' in November.
5_zpso15efk1e.jpg
4_zpsdxainssa.jpg
Ok! Let's get serious about fishing. Will, an expert's expert, shares his vast experience. When Will talks; we are all ears:
6_zpshhzpxro3.jpg
Mr. Sumrall shows us how to troll for king fish. Catch 'kings on the way out' 1:30 minutes into the video at the end of this report:
7_zps1ggf3qtc.jpg
The heavens are on fire:
8_zpsc1hq1zu5.jpg
Let's get ready to beat the elusive mango snapper at his own game. He may be tricky, but so are we:
9_zpsolr5av48.jpg
10_zps34btcfpj.jpg
11_zpsqqvr2mnf.jpg
Here comes out lady in green. To date Cynthia has sold well over 300 paintings. Looks like she has also mastered another 'art' form:
12_zpsbnmagreb.jpg
13_zpskm8zyfos.jpg
This fishing thing is getting serious:
14_zpsusu6pydg.jpg
15_zps7mg5rjde.jpg
16_zps4ecezgxv.jpg
Here comes the sun. Hope the fish are still hungry:
17_zpswge0nncv.jpg
They are:
18_zpsemzjgkxg.jpg
19_zpspeo0smwi.jpg
20_zpsuv049n4h.jpg
23_zpsxa12gcej.jpg
Deep water kings:
21_zpsnwtt5n3z.jpg
22_zps9hhuekgs.jpg
Between stops let's troll for tuna:
24_zpsvlkat5pu.jpg
Watch Ed's fight, 'TUNA POWER' with a blackfin 4:15 minutes into the video:
26_zpsf2fay54o.jpg
25_zps4msrbqi2.jpg27_zpshhxhyuvk.jpg
Here comes the gags:
28_zpszxtp3rzj.jpg
29_zpsvp8tkxjk.jpg
30_zpswnt3a6ra.jpg

Dan, sir that is a mahi to be proud of:
31_zpsbwihgofv.jpg
This is turning into another major mango catch:
32_zpsuo9f8iwq.jpg
33_zpsam8koswh.jpg
34_zpsjyf83f2c.jpg
Fish like that will put smiles on anyone's face:
35_zpscgut4mwq.jpg
36_zpsi1lhhjmb.jpg
37_zpsgpp2cqji.jpg
38_zpsgqrnholl.jpg
The mangrove snapper have been feeding all night and day. 'This is our Florida!'
39_zpsezbtqatr.jpg
40_zpsqoeynr88.jpg
We are, 'fished-out,' and hungry. Time to visit Chef Tammy. Wonder what feast our 'Jersey Girl' has for us this evening? Let's get ready for some serious good ol' Southern eating. Nothing beats tender pot roast seasoned to perfection with the best red potatoes, and tender young carrots:
41_zpsdwnwuskl.jpg
42_zps1a5gsg2w.jpg
Cynthia, your dad, David, Mineola, Texas, can be proud of the woman you have become. What an honor to have you on the Florida Fisherman ll. The only thing that would have made this trip even better would have been if your dad could have joined us:
43_zps4exvwda7.jpg
44_zpscu1x34gz.jpg
Back at the dock it's all smiles and a mountain of fish:
45_zpsnl3v5q8v.jpg
47_zpsxh0uamyu.jpg
46_zps7zniepxf.jpg

The in the money grouper hit the scales at 16 pounds, and the snapper weighed in at a whopping 9.5 pounds.
48_zpsla10rktg.jpg
49_zpsy5r0tqom.jpg

Check out this short, action packed, video of our trip:

https://youtu.be/nn8_6w14xpc

On 11/13 we have another shot at mangos, and then, November 19, is another big one; the last deep-drop trip of the season. We will be fishing in waters approaching 1,000 feet deep. This is going to be big; really BIG!
Tripofalifetime_zps9f1ea7d9.jpg
The best of fishing, hunting, food, weather, and people.
This is our Florida!
Bob Harbison Florida Outdoor Writers Association

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 3,401 Captain
    Why we like Florida fishing so much!
    The mighty king
    the%20mighty%20king_zpsgfihfouo.jpg
    at its very best. This is our Florida!
    006_zps2t0t0iq9.jpg
  • Great report and pics Bob.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Thank you sir. I do not go near as much during the Winter months. Will share as often as I can.
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 639 Officer
    I be liking those smoker results...........great report as usual Bob
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
    :beer Thank you so very much. It's your feedback that keeps me going. I love sharing what I am so fortunate to be part of.
    The smoker is so easy to use and the results are amazing. 003_zpscepuzsam.jpg
    009_zpshdiwrhsa.jpg
    Next I am going to smoke a wild hog. Incredible!
    As stated in my report, 'This is our Florida,' Cynthia is a real pro at catching the very good eating grey snapper on 1/2 day trips. Cyn proved it today, 11/17/15, with this excellent catch:
    Cyn_zpsrea8ty2h.jpg
    Cyn has proven to be a master of both 1/2 day and over-night deep water fishing. What an honor having this 'fisher-girl' representing Hubbard's Marina, our sport, and the state of Florida. Your dad, David, can be very proud of his daughter.