Tortugas Trip Question

Guys,

Planning to take my boat, Gamefish 25 with twin 150's, to the Dry Tortuga's this summer for a few day.

I have been all over this site and others but I cant find an answer. Do most guys in center consoles just anchor off the beach for the night or is there a designated boat mooring area for the center console guys. I have found numerous discussions about where the larger sport-fishers should moor but nothing for guys like me.

Thanks

Mike

Replies

• mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 337 Deckhand
    We go every spring/summer as well-The park rangers tell the center consoles to do a Bimini style anchor off dingy beach(back into the beach with a anchor off the bow, and a second anchor off the stern, placed in the sand on beach). make sure you get shallow enough you can walk up to your swim ladder without having to swim(duhh). However, if you go during a weekend and the weather is awesome.. you wont be alone. Usually its first come/first served so if dingy beach is full the rangers let you park on the other side of the dock where the sea plane lands. Only issue with that is you have to be gone before the sea plane gets in so it can pull up on the beach. (I think 8 am?)

Also your allowed to use the docks but only to load and unload.

Have fun, the fishing is awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    & Take more water & fuel than you think you will need. Have a blessed trip.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • astm216astm216 Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys. Can't wait!
  • ShanecarrollShanecarroll Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    astm216 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Can't wait!
    how far of a ride is over to Tortugas and what marina is best to leave out of ..from South ga here and have wanted to do that run on my boat with the kiddos for the weekend for some lasting memories. .
  • jt5691jt5691 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    how far of a ride is over to Tortugas and what marina is best to leave out of ..from South ga here and have wanted to do that run on my boat with the kiddos for the weekend for some lasting memories. .

Hi Shane, Any Marina on Stock Island. Better on Stock Island as it is less congested than Key West. You can try Stock Island Marina which was renovated and is really nice. Good Luck
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 411 Deckhand
    We have left from Garrison Bight several times. Decent ramp, parking is somewhat limited.