Home Boating

I'VE HAD IT

Travis GTravis G Kentucky😢Posts: 501 Deckhand
I havnt been able to fish in 5 weeks. From work to weather to illness to panzy **** "friends" that traded their man-cards for wedding rings/ nose rings. Im sick of it, im done. Nxt Saturday their will be a blue z71 with a flats boat leaving Ocala heading towards somewhere between Homa to Yanktown and if one of my "friends" cant get kitchen passes, I will go alone!!! whata dern shame

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I fish alone 99 percent of the time. I quit asking my friends to go. 2 strikes and they don't get asked again. Get an Autotether and wear a self inflatable life vest.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,555 Captain
    Ditto on the Autotether, but buy a cell phone block bag for 6 bucks so you can test the tiny transmitter without having to walk 100 feet away from the ideling boat at the ramp.
    Giimoozaabi
  • GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    id come if it that wasnt so far. I need to work on my flats fishing
  • PBRPBR Posts: 136 Officer
    Thats one of the reasons I parked the Grady and went back to a bass boat and and Flats boat . Finding out I like to fish by myself
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    I love fishing alone. My friends are a-holes. :)
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • tagtag Posts: 9,065 Admiral
    Most people I see while out fishing are fishing alone. I'm with you, now the my fishing partners (sons) are off living their lives it's time for me to start going aalone.
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,623 Captain
    I dont care....either way. With a friend or alone..IM goin fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the people I know want to go fishing. That is until I tell them be there at day break and your going tp be late dont bother comming! You will arrive to an empty dock. I will be gone.

I fish alone 95% of the time.......I enjoy the peace and quite. I dont need someone saying my arm hurts from casting....WHAAAAAAA!!

I am happy to take someone and turn them onto to fish, but I dont go looking or begging. Perfect example. A guy at work begged and begged to go fishing. He even said he would wash my truck everytime. All he had to do was show up. I have all the tackle and extra rods. I took him three times. He was late two times. THe second time he was late, I was gone. He called me on the cell, I didnt answer. Left him standing on the dock. He was 30min late. Each time he didnt even ask if he could help get the boat secure....or anything. We got to the dock after fishing and he got in his car and left. Just the other day at work he asked if he could go fishing. I said sure, as soon as you wash my truck 2 times..I didnt care if he washed my truck, until he pissed me off by being late and being a ****.

Either way........GO FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Captain
    I usually fish alone as I got tired of waiting at the dock for no-shows. After a few of those, I set a departure time and if you weren't there, stay home. I have a self-inflating vest & use a kill switch lanyard.
    Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.
    Im glad to see others have the same problems as I do when taking others fishing....sometimes I feel like im the ****. I can see from this thread Im not:)
    BobD wrote: »
    I have a self-inflating vest & use a kill switch lanyard.

Best advice. I had a co-worker die after falling overboard in the St Johns river less than a mile from shore.
  • F1D2F1D2 Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Yep, prefer alone unless the wife wants to come which is about 10% of the time. Being retired and only fishing during the week and no weekends, it's rare I can hook up with a buddy to fish.

I've lost two friends here in the St. Johns river that didn't have PFD's on or the kill switch hooked up and almost lost a third that didn't have the kill switch hooked up but did have his PFD on.

I wear a Mustang MD3183 hooked to my kill switch any time the big motor is running (by myself or not) that is Type II USCG approved for recreational use and a manual belt inflatable when fishing on the front deck if I'm by myself.

PS: Tag, was it Tom?
  • capt.natecapt.nate Posts: 2,359 Captain
    i fish a lone bout half the time.
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things I’d do differently, but, oh yeah, I’d still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford
    sig%20pic%20yamaha_zps9bj5fb89.png
    F1D2 wrote: »
    PS: Tag, was it Tom?

No, it was about 15 years ago. His name was Glenn.

With your "FIDO" tag I might know you.
  • fishinfruitionfishinfruition Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Well I have to say I am on the other end of the stick from most of you. But my fishing passion has never faltered. I now have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. Youngins well put a slow down on you fishin hobbies. I am just now getting back on the water. Sad thing is most of my fishing friend cut me off totally when my first was born. Did not even ever call again. I am Johnny on the spot and an early riser as well. If I am late I expect you to leave me at the dock. I like to fish by myself but I am a firm believer in "you have to give it away to keep it". Meaning teaching someone else keep you green and in the game. I have been fishing with a guy how is somewhat of a greenhorn. He got his first big trout about 4 weeks ago and is starting to come around. But if he does not learn to stop answering his cell I am going to throw it in the water.
    I may only have 300 plus post but I didn’t get any of them PLAYING (In my most sarcastic voice) COUNT!!!
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    CaptTater wrote: »
    I love fishing alone. My friends are a-holes. :)
    Other way around... :(
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    I fish with the wife and son..It's better because i make my boy clean the boat.. :)
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • FinWizzardFinWizzard Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I would love to fish alone more but I have not figured out a way to easily launch and land the boat from the trailor. How do you do it?
    FinWizzard wrote: »
    I would love to fish alone more but I have not figured out a way to easily launch and land the boat from the trailor. How do you do it?

Depends on the size boat you have. I just drive mine off and on the trailer. Back truck down, get motor started(mercurys are cold natured things) drive boat to dock and tie it off. Walk to truck and park it. Go back to boat and take off. Just the reverse when loading boat to go home
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 890 Officer
    Depends on the size boat you have. I just drive mine off and on the trailer. Back truck down, get motor started(mercurys are cold natured things) drive boat to dock and tie it off. Walk to truck and park it. Go back to boat and take off. Just the reverse when loading boat to go home

you drive the boat off the trailer and then back the boat down? lol. just kidding
    when i trailered a boat, i did the following: slowly backed trailer down ramp, kept the winch strap attached to the boat. set parking brake and put wheel chocks under the two rear wheels. i then tied off the bow to the dock piling, released the winch strap and gently pushed boat off trailer. i then jumped in the boat and tied off a stern line. if i can do that with a 28' twin engine boat, then anyone can :-) just repeat the process, when returning, in reverse order. yes, wear a vest and tie the kill switch around your wrist when possible. i still do that and file a float plan with a friend or family member the few times when i fish alone.
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • joet43joet43 Floral City , FLPosts: 61 Greenhorn
    I also fish alone most of the time -- got tired of buying the bait , lunch occasionally and suppling tackle , being told to go back to the dock because their tired etc. ,,,, then they disappear , don't chip in for gas , don't help with clean-up -- Nada .
  • FinWizzardFinWizzard Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks. I have a 24' Ranger Bay boat with a trolling motor on the bow. This sounds like a way to load and unload without driving it on and off. I have been trying to figure a way to drive the boat off the trailor but I had a problem getting from the car, to the tailer, to the boat and undoing the winch strap, without killing myself. And when coming back in how do you get from the boat, to the trailer, to the car when driving it on the trailer without taking some serious risks going from the boat to the trailor. Using ropes is sensible. I'am just not going to get in and our in 5 minutes.
  • Tom FoleyTom Foley Posts: 111 Officer
    I built these steps on the front of a trailer for a guy to help this same problem . I boat , and fish alone a bunch and I could see this being a great help to safely get up and down from the bow to the trailer .
    2uos0pe.jpg

Marine Specialties Custom Fabricators
    http://www.marinespecialties.com/
    35clqbn.jpg

34j4oko.jpg
  • FritzFritz Posts: 253 Officer
    I don't have any friends, I have to fish alone... I don't even like myself that much but I will tolerate being with me if I get to go fishing.
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,314 Captain
    You all make a good point..A good fishin buddy is a wonderful thing...but rare.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,555 Captain
    I would like to see a South Fla fishing club started for people who mostly fish alone. No formal outings or events just a meeting twice a month to share knowledge and exchange stories etc. It could be called the "Solo Angler Club" or something of that nature.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I would like to see a South Fla fishing club started for people who mostly fish alone. No formal outings or events just a meeting twice a month to share knowledge and exchange stories etc. It could be called the "Solo Angler Club" or something of that nature.

I am a member of a fly fishing club in Stuart. No one goes fishing with each other that didn't prior that I know of.We do have some get together's where the club does night fishing on the docks but thats far and few. We just meet to tell fish stories.I did join to find a fishing buddie but learned allot from the members every month.Guest speakers each month from Florida Sportsman to Manufacture reps. Today Captain Scott Hamilton will be the guest speaker.He is a great Guide from Jupiter. Saturday FS local will give a seminar on Pompano at the Southern Angler Store from 11 - 12. Its a great place to meet some fishing buddies if you are in Stuart and like to Fly Fish.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • CL604CL604 Posts: 69 Deckhand
    I feel your pain, I end up going by myself most of the time for all the reasons mentioned here. I have a 16ft Hewes and its perfect for
    that purpose !! However, I'am almost 70 now and I have had to rediscover using arti's, spending hours with a castnet is out of the
    question anymore. Obviously a cell phone & ignition lanyard are a must, I did fall out of the boat once when reaching overboard for my hat that blew off. BTW, most of the I'am not really alone, my 12yr old Lab still loves a boat ride. When its beautiful outside and you have
    moon tides you just can't let that go by!!
  • luiegluieg Posts: 54 Deckhand
    I tend to fish alone also. Seems no one has time but i seem to get out there. be nice to have a reliable fishin buddie that has the itch to go when ever the water is right. my bassett hound has been the only reliable friend here latley.
  • luiegluieg Posts: 54 Deckhand
    joet43 wrote: »
    I also fish alone most of the time -- got tired of buying the bait , lunch occasionally and suppling tackle , being told to go back to the dock because their tired etc. ,,,, then they disappear , don't chip in for gas , don't help with clean-up -- Nada .

Been there also. Its great washing the boat cussing that person the whole time. Lending tackle is not so bad hearing I am tired and want to leave make me want to push them overboard.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 265 Deckhand
    I had the same issue gator hunting last year. My co-worker buddy was all gung ho about going gator hunting. The first day he was 45 minutes late and I told him the sun doesn't set on your schedule. Legal hunting hours start 1 hour before sunset and I WILL be on the water at that time the next time we go out. Well the next time he's now 45 minutes early, and obviously I'm not ready so I made him wait. So this year I hunted mostly alone. It took me a bit to get down launching and loading my boat alone, but it's a 17' bass boat and not too bad.