Weekend CK report 10/30-11/2

Hit the water for the first time in cedar key. Excited to explore a new area to me. Launched my little gheenoe at channel 4 bridge and motored down river. Probably had gone only a few hundred yards and ran smack into a sand bar. At this point I realized that the water visibility was only around 4 inches. Proceeded to work a combination of following "maps" on my phone and poling over inches deep sandbars. 30 mins later found nice creek and a few lagoons and began working the banks with a paddle tail. Could see reds pushing bait on to the banks and lots of activity. Couple casts in and landed my first cedar key redfish of 19in:cool: After the activity slowed down, I moved to a new lagoon and found more activity, landed another redfish of 29 in. After that the tide began to come back in and we worked the banks a bit more to no luck and headed back.

November 1 went out and hit the same spot, right away, caught a 30in red. (really starting to like this lagoon.) Eventually began moving up the bank and following the creek edges. the wind was whipping and the incoming tide was fast, I figured fish were gonna be stacking on the lee side of islands and lagoons and I was right. We began moving faster from one cove to another and began to find reds tailing on the edge of grass lines in coves. Picked off a couple more, only one slot and the rest were overslot, and called it a day. Overall a fun few days of fishing, especially for the first time being in cedar key and a new area. Bait of the day was a golden Stinky Fingers Paddle tail on a chartreuse jig head. found most fish in around 1.5- 2.5 ft of water.

Replies

• Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Nice fish. Did your camera man catch anything?
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,933 Captain
    You figured out why a lot of people don't launch at the number 4 ramp, especially on any sort of low tide. Difficult to navigate. I have drug a gheenoe through shallow water there a bunch of times. Looks like a good weekend of fishing too especially given all the wind we've had. I had a tough day nearby on Sunday.
  • winshimawinshima Posts: 122 Deckhand
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,706 Captain
    You guys did good...way to go. Reds are hot to bite right now but you have to find them...which you did.

And a Gheenoe rocks. :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,468 AG
    Skinny water fishing is the best. Thanks for the report!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Gman27 wrote: »
    Launched my little gheenoe at channel 4 bridge and motored down river...

Cedar Key Channel 4 bridge: river? What river?
  • Gman27Gman27 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Nice fish. Did your camera man catch anything?

No he didnt. He insisted on using a popping cork with a Gulp shrimp under it which clearly wasnt working.
    Jim311 wrote: »
    You figured out why a lot of people don't launch at the number 4 ramp, especially on any sort of low tide. Difficult to navigate. I have drug a gheenoe through shallow water there a bunch of times. Looks like a good weekend of fishing too especially given all the wind we've had. I had a tough day nearby on Sunday.

Yeah i quickly learned. I also learned that the crab traps for the most part mark deeper water. Is shell mound easier to navigate? And ha anyone ever taken a boat like a gheenoe as far out as seahorse key?
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    Cedar Key Channel 4 bridge: river? What river?
    figure of speech.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,397 Officer
    Could not ask for a better "first trip". Thanks for the report. I love that area and it is easier to run after you learn it.

Please ignore THAT GUY, He seems to be quite frustrated in more ways than one.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    Shell mound is probably even shallower and the boat ramp is a mud flat on just about any sort of low tide. I've had gheenoes out 6 or 7 miles from shore in the right conditions. I don't do it all the time though and I sure don't stick around very long.
  • AZ2FLAZ2FL Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Don't feed the Luv2yak troll !
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nicely done for the first... The camera man has to learn whatever is working for the day to go for it...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 600 Officer
    we take our lil 12' johnboat with a 6hp out to seahorse key all the time.
    figure of speech.

Nice come back as we all knew what you meant. And you made the front page in spite of not being on "the river"...way to go.

Bill
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Billy wrote: »
    ...And you made the front page in spite of not being on "the river"...way to go.Bill

"...made the front page..."? Wowie-Zowie.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    Nice couple of trips man! I've been thinking about trading my motorcycle off for a ghenooe, great creek boats!
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,642 Captain
    Great fishing especially in new water. WTG! :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    "...made the front page..."? Wowie-Zowie.

Wowie-Zowie? What wowie-zowie?

Bill
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,484 Captain
    Didn't you ever Freak Out back in the day Billy? :grin
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 658 Officer
    ...And ha anyone ever taken a boat like a gheenoe as far out as seahorse key?

I really don't think that's a good idea. The bars and channel out there can do weird things to the surf based on tide/wind, and if some unexpected wind catches you in that boat.... I dont know. I wouldn't do it. You can find spanish much closer to shore, and there are deeper grass flats and channels near the islands that will hold them.
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Good bunch of reds. Sounds like you got it figured out quickly.
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    You can easily take a boat like that out around the islands. Pick a good day and keep an eye on the weather. I take my kayak around the islands so I'm sure you can do it in a boat haha those are some nice reds especially for fishing around a bunch of mud flats ;) I've also drug my gheenoe at number 4 so watch out for those low tides. Pretty soon here number 4 will be a blow boat only launch once winter sets in.
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
    Didn't you ever Freak Out back in the day Billy? :grin

Probably but my reply was to use the earlier silly post of L2Y about the river and work it in to his post about "wowie" whatever, although I'm not sure anyone can tell which one's of L2Y's post are silly, and which aren't.

The guy has an agenda and it seems to not fit in with, well, anyone. Nice thing is it doesn't set well with me but in the overall scheme of things I don't care. I just don't like him acting like he is better than others...you know the type.

On a side note I'll be home tomorrow mid afternoon if you want to come by and drink a couple beers in the Garagebar.

Bill
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 658 Officer
    I really don't think that's a good idea. The bars and channel out there can do weird things to the surf based on tide/wind, and if some unexpected wind catches you in that boat.... I dont know. I wouldn't do it. You can find spanish much closer to shore, and there are deeper grass flats and channels near the islands that will hold them.

Shoot... I just re-read what you said. I thought you said Seahorse REEF. Seahorse Key is totally do-able on a nice day. Please ignore me :D
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,468 AG
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Shell mound is probably even shallower and the boat ramp is a mud flat on just about any sort of low tide. I've had gheenoes out 6 or 7 miles from shore in the right conditions. I don't do it all the time though and I sure don't stick around very long.

I've been to White Shell Bar several times in my little skiff. The pucker factor is huge when the wind is blowing one way and the tide is the other. Not doing that anymore, too old. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WaccasassaWaccasassa Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Be careful at Shell Mound, I spent the night in Gheenoe on a mudflat out there once, need to watch the tides close there.
    Waccasassa wrote: »
    Be careful at Shell Mound, I spent the night in Gheenoe on a mudflat out there once, need to watch the tides close there.

Once that mud gets you there is no dragging that boat out unless you've got a crane. The suction the mud creates is insane. I came back on an outgoing tide once. Knew that if I didn't stay on plane all the way until the boat ramp I was going to be stuck. Let off right near the dock and bumped the bottom. Had to tilt the motor up and drag the trailer onto the boat by hand/winch in that mud. Learned my lesson that day.. I never use that ramp on any sort of low tide whatsoever and you have to watch an outgoing tide like a hawk.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand
    I went out that Saturday and fished the #4 pier for awhile to hide from the creepy monsters. :grin Your day sure as hell beat my night.

Nice work sir.