A few days in the Keys/Evergaldes

Spent the last week down south with a good friend Chris. Goal was bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook, and reds. Well Monday, the wind was bad and the tide was as high as I have ever seen. Made fishing tough. We hit some protected area's and found nothing. Tuesday, we had the same conditions but we decided to try to make it happen. We took turns poling and saw several bonefish in the morning but were right on top of them due to the super high tide. Gave that a few hours before changing plans and hitting the permit flats. It was a good move. We saw around 15 permit with some in the 30 pound range. Had several shots but the wind made making the perfect cast tough. Even when you did get a good cast on one they seemed to change directions. I finally got one to eat and boated a nice 20 pounder. I followed it up by hooking a big tarpon that was swimming down the flat but was way under gunned with the permit tackle. Fought it for about 5 minutes then broke it off to get back to permit. Chris was having a hard time getting the permit to not change directions. Good cast after good cast went to waste. Once the tide changed we headed to a spot were I knew there would be a bunch of small tarpon more than willing to eat a fly. So I poled Chris in and he caught about 5 or 6 on fly with the biggest being around 10 pounds. Wednesday, Chris had a friend he wanted to have lunch with in Marathon, so I hooked up with a good friend John and we hit the reef for some snapper. It was still windy and a bit rough but the yellowtails were thick. They were on the small side. We got a limit with one being 20 inches but most were 13 to 15 inches. I did cast net some ballyhoo and hooked a small sail on a flat line, but after about 30 jumps, it spit the hook. Thursday, Chris and I decide to get back on the permit. I poled Chris for miles on this flat and all the permit had moved on. So we hit the baby tarpon hole again and got Chris a few more on fly. Friday, we decided to trailer up to Flamingo and sight fish way back up in the glades. Made about a 25 mile run north of Flamingo to some super skinny creeks. Ended up sight fishing around 10 nice reds up to 30 inches and 4 snook up to 28 inches. All fish were caught in less than 12 inches of water. We watched every fish eat our paddle tails. I cane poled one that was less than 10 foot from the boat with it's back out of the water. There truly is not a more fun way to catch reds and snook.

Replies

• Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Sounds like Mother Nature you a curve ball but as usual you figured out a way to have some fun with quality fish while mear mortals like myself and a whole lot of others would have just cashed it in!!! Question though, why didn't you take a turn w/ that flyrod on those small poonz? Thames is my fav's when they're that size as long as yer not using anything larger than a #8 weight!!
    Yer right about the shallow water fishing in the Glades though! I spent many years chasing fish around out of Everglades City and Flamingo and know exactly what yer talking about! Seeing Snukes & reds w/ their backs out of the water on a low tide! It's also easier to land them when they can't swim under the mangrove branches cause it's high & dry there! I sure miss that kind of fishin, one of these days?? Thanks fer posting Scott******** Thanks for the memories!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Fly fishing is not my thing. I caught 6 on a skitter walk.
    tried a video but can't get it to work
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,955 Captain
    Fly fishing is not my thing. I caught 6 on a skitter walk.

I think I might like it if I could site fish around here more frequently but it seems like the water is too dirty to blind cast with a fly rod all day long.
    A good fly rod is 800 to 1000 bucks. That were I draw the line.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,955 Captain
    Yeah that's crazy, that's like 5 or 6 ramp fees at Cedar Key.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,902 Captain
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Yeah that's crazy, that's like 5 or 6 ramp fees at Cedar Key.

Or a dinner at Cracker's :grin

Nice fish Scott!
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Nice ones, that looks cool stalking those fish in the middle of nowhere.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Way to make the best of tough conditions , you sure Capt Louie wasn't down there...:grin
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,131 Moderator
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Way to make the best of tough conditions , you sure Capt Louie wasn't down there...:grin

No , was busy. :cool: I had a tough time finding any bonefish back in May with the amount of wind. Word is they are making a comeback though. You had a really productive trip and more than likely added a few more "spots" to the data base .

Nice post.
    "You'll get your weather"
    We were confined to the gulf side for bonefish. There are several flats on the ocean side that are better but a 15 knt SE wind took care of that for us. The flat we found a few bones on was 5 foot deep instead of 2 foot due to this super tide. The only way we could of got one is to power pole down and soak shrimp and hope for the best. That was not an option.
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Well done, Scott. Some of the biggest Mangrove Snapper are down off Big Pine Key. I love it down there but you need to have the big bucks to live there.

Thats true if you beleive all the ad's from companies like Sage, Scott, G.Loomis, Winston, Powell, Thomas & Thomas and the other top end fly rod producers. I don't believe them and they can just keep making better and better rods each year so that the dumb azzez that buy into their ad's will have to buy a new $800.00 flyrod every year or they will be ashamed to show themselves on the bonefish flats. The whole flyfishing world has got so twisted around in the last 25 years it makes me sick to my stomach!

I've been making my own flyrod since I was in high school, my first was on a glass Fenwick blank in 1969 which I still have evan though the tip was broken off. Before that I started w/a Sears Ted Williams rod w/level line I'm sure didn't watch the rod but some how I learned to cast and evan catch fish! Now how in the world did we ever catch fish on such lousy old rods back then I don't know if you have to have a $900.00 Scott super fast rod to be able to flyfish today?

Today you can buy a pretty good blank, grip, reelseat and guides for under $100.00 and build a rod w/ help on the internet. Now it may not as pretty or cast as far as a Powell boron super rod but you will have a very fishable rod which will be just as good as the off the rack rods going for $300.00-$400.00!!

OK, I'm sorry to go off on a rant on your post Scott but I love flyfishing and it's just this kind of thing that scares the every day fishin Joe away from a really cool way of fishing! It just dosen't have to be that expensive and it's definitely not near as hard as everyone thinks! If anyone would like to get started flyfishing I'd be glad to help them out and point them in the right direction! Oh then theres the fly tying thing, $7.00 each? Give me a break!
    Once again sorry! I just can't help it!
    Thats true if you beleive all the ad's from companies like Sage, Scott, G.Loomis, Winston, Powell, Thomas & Thomas and the other top end fly rod producers. I don't believe them and they can just keep making better and better rods each year so that the dumb azzez that buy into their ad's will have to buy a new $800.00 flyrod every year or they will be ashamed to show themselves on the bonefish flats. The whole flyfishing world has got so twisted around in the last 25 years it makes me sick to my stomach!

I've been making my own flyrod since I was in high school, my first was on a glass Fenwick blank in 1969 which I still have evan though the tip was broken off. Before that I started w/a Sears Ted Williams rod w/level line I'm sure didn't watch the rod but some how I learned to cast and evan catch fish! Now how in the world did we ever catch fish on such lousy old rods back then I don't know if you have to have a $900.00 Scott super fast rod to be able to flyfish today?

Today you can buy a pretty good blank, grip, reelseat and guides for under $100.00 and build a rod w/ help on the internet. Now it may not as pretty or cast as far as a Powell boron super rod but you will have a very fishable rod which will be just as good as the off the rack rods going for $300.00-$400.00!!

OK, I'm sorry to go off on a rant on your post Scott but I love flyfishing and it's just this kind of thing that scares the every day fishin Joe away from a really cool way of fishing! It just dosen't have to be that expensive and it's definitely not near as hard as everyone thinks! If anyone would like to get started flyfishing I'd be glad to help them out and point them in the right direction! Oh then theres the fly tying thing, $7.00 each? Give me a break!
    Once again sorry! I just can't help it!

I also do not dress well enough or where the right shoes to fly fish. You can continue the rant. lol

Actually my boat is horrible for fly fishing. Being as wide as it is, every time you do a false cast you also throw a boat wake. By time you cast, the fish have spooked and left.
    I also do not dress well enough or where the right shoes to fly fish. You can continue the rant. lol

Actually my boat is horrible for fly fishing. Being as wide as it is, every time you do a false cast you also throw a boat wake. By time you cast, the fish have spooked and left.

I hear ya Scott, I never did very well with that dress code thing either! I used to love to flyfish in streams up north in late Spring early Summer when I could wet wade in a par of old shorts and a ripped old t-shirt. I'd fish near some of those guys who looked like they came right out of n Orvis catalog. Not only would I give them a casting lesson but also a catching lesson! Of course these were the streams I grew up on 40-50 years ago so I knew them well. I'd also look or any kids fishing and give them a handfull of flys and show them how to fish them! Seeing kids outfish those fancy pants experts was always the best! You can't buy experiace!

So yea like I already said, I the what flyfishing has become and I try to disassociate myself from that crowd! Oh about making wakes falsecasting, I try to one shot my casts when ever I can. Falsecasting just wears my tired old **** out!
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 697 Officer
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain

So yea like I already said, I the what flyfishing has become and I try to disassociate myself from that crowd!

I hear you Pete, I went on a fly fishing trip to upper New York, with my brother-in-law. I had camouflage neoprene waders with built in boots and wore an old hooded sweatshirt. Those guys staying in the cabins, most from the "city", looked at me like I was from the coal mining country of southern Ohio...which actually it is where I was born. The fish didn't seem to care though.

Nice trip Scott as I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

And that permit is awesome.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    Billy wrote: »
    I hear you Pete, I went on a fly fishing trip to upper New York, with my brother-in-law. I had camouflage neoprene waders with built in boots and wore an old hooded sweatshirt. Those guys staying in the cabins, most from the "city", looked at me like I was from the coal mining country of southern Ohio...which actually it is where I was born. The fish didn't seem to care though.

Nice trip Scott as I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

And that permit is awesome.

Bill

Big agree wichya Billy, I'm totally sorry about hijacking and going off the way I did! Totally uncalled for on such a cool post! I will definitely think before I speak next time! Sometimes I'm just an old blowhard who dosen't know when to shut up! I loved yer post as usual Scott! You are one hell of a fisherman in my book!
    Y'all did not hijack my tread. There was no mention of how that pour permit probably died, or how we should have only caught one of the baby tarpon and left the rest alone. There's only one Negative Nancy hear and he never commits on my posts.
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,724 Captain

Where you getting that kind of info...
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral