10-31 Happy Hogoween!!! Lower Keys Style

Got in the water for the first time in awhile...thankfully found several hogs, nothing huge and Mrs. LA speared her first and second :thumbsup after a few misses. Lets just say we left several :grin out there, it really was a sight to see. My near miss of the day....a super nice cero mack in about 30 feet, my spear went threw his dorsal, had him for about 10 seconds and he came off...kudos to him....bonus was finding one legal bug right at the end of the day after several shorts...viz was excellent. Saw some nice porpoise on the way out. Took some excellent video but have not edited it yet so enjoy these few pics....we ate great this Hallow's Eve!:)

Watch out tomorrow for the Day of the Dead!!!!!:blowkiss

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,767 Captain
    Possibly my favorite seafood meal! Fried lobster bites & Hogfish fillets! :hungry
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • wahoo1wahoo1 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Klinger and anyone else,
    I've never actually fried lobster before, any suggestions? Egg wash, batter in panko and fry like fish filets? I've got lobster in the freezer that I need to try something different with.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,767 Captain
    wahoo1 wrote: »
    Klinger and anyone else,
    I've never actually fried lobster before, any suggestions? Egg wash, batter in panko and fry like fish filets? I've got lobster in the freezer that I need to try something different with.
    Thanks,
    Steve

If fresh & never frozen, you have to blanch to get out of the shell. Just throw the tails in boiling water for a few seconds & they come out of the shell easily. If they have been frozen, they come out of the shell fine without blanching. Cut in bite size pieces and throw them in an egg wash. I use a couple of eggs, a little white wine (couple of tablespoons or so), a little milk, Old bay seafood seasoning & whisk good. I shake them in a mixture of half finely ground saltine cracker crumbs & half plain flour. Heat the oil to 350* & try to put the lobster in all at one time. They will be done in 45 seconds, & they will be tough if overcooked. Don't salt the lobster, as it's naturally salted. I cook the fish the same way, only the fingers need to be salted before breading and the cook time is more like 2 minutes.

I'll predict this will be one of your favorite ways to cook lobster. I even ground up a couple of boxes of saltines at the time in the food processor an keep them in the freezer. I have a couple of these shakers that come in handy when you try to get all the bites in the oil at one time
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • wahoo1wahoo1 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Sounds great!! I'll definitely give it a try! We had a few tails this week from mini season and they taste extremely fresh, it was a good year and time to start cooking them up!

Thanks,
    Steve
  • 2thekeys2thekeys Posts: 162 Deckhand
    A place in Jersey also gives you butter to dip your fired lobster in...you can't live for ever
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    lobster chunks fried in panko is our favorite way to eat lobster, it tastes sweeter to us for some reason
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,557 Captain
    ...mmmm
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]