Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

10-31 St. James City Area Report

I took my boat for her maiden (to me) voyage today. I launched at Monroe Canal Marina a little before daylight and started the long idle out of the canal. When I got out towards open water I was geeted with a pretty stiff wind straight out of the south so I got a nice bumpy introduction!

I went out and hooked a left and went over to where a few other boats were catching bait. I set a chum slick and threw the net for a while and pretty easily filled my well with pinfish and some, not many, whitebait. I didn't want to run around a whole lot because of the waves so I just idled straight into the creek nearest to me. I go to hook up a bait and EVERY piece of bait I had caught was dead. WTH!! I guess the aerator isn't working right or something but I'm headed to buy a bubbler.

Anyways, there are a bunch of snook in there. Big snook. I promise you I saw one 4 ft long. I fired a swimbait around and caught 3 or 4 snook, up to about 20 inches. The big girls laughed at the swimbait. I also caught a couple mangrove snapper, a jack, and a nice keeper redfish that I brought home to my wife. I've been telling her I was going to catch her dinner and I finally did.

I'm going back tomorrow, hopefully with some bait that's alive, and with my wife. So maybe, just maybe, se can get ahold of one of those snook and get hooked on it.

Here's a pic of my redfish in the cooler, it's headed for my belly later.

Replies

• movingtoFLmovingtoFL Posts: 83 Deckhand
    FYI I'm not a big meat fisherman, but I will keep one every once in a while. I don't know how people feel about that in the salt but in freshwater people would get all bent out of shape about it.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 617 Officer
    Nice job, btw the dead baits will still work very well, chunk them up and chuck them under the bushes for reds and snook.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Nice work man. Congrats on that red. Looks yummy. Monroe canal is long. Lol. Even longer in the summer.
    Sorry about your bait. You don't like pinfish anyway. Lol. Me either.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Nice job, you definitely need air on your bait, especially the white bait it's hard to keep lively. Wait until you stick one of those big ol' snook they are a blast and if your under geared they can be like trying to stop a freight train. Not sure what size rod/reel your using but if you want to target them with success I would recommend at least a 5000 series reel with a good drag system and MH rod. Are you sure the big one wasn't a tarpon? they are really moving into the backwater creeks and canals right now
    It looked like a snook to me but what do I know I thought a jack was a pompano....
    Hahaha, if it was laid up in the groves it was probably a snook. Pretty distinguishable, tarpon are long and skinny with a more forked tail and big eyes. Glad to hear you saw some though, the backwater snook have been pretty quiet recently, they need to move in.
    HA! I'm almost positive it was a really big snook. It was hanging out under a dock. It laughed at the swimbait I rolled past it. It probably would've broken my heart though.

I am using 4000 series Stradics and MH rods but they aren't real beefy MH rods. I have some serious bass fishing baitcast rods and reels, like 8' Extra Heavy flipping sticks and Curados, but I don't want to ruin them in the salt. If I get broken off, like I did today because I was lazy, or because my gear isn't stout enough, I'll fix that haha.

Y'all are very helpful and I appreciate that. I plan on contributing as much to this board as I can and being as helpful as y'all are. I'll let y'all know how tomorrow goes. I have to get my wife to catch something!
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    We need more regular posters around here! Sounds like perfect rod setups for the fishing you're doing. Dock snook are TOUGH. They will turn down all but the perfect bait (usually a ladyfish or small jack, whiting) I throw them under the dock on a heavy rod, penn 113hlw and 150 lb mono with a 80 lb fluoro leader. Still break off 50% or so.