Sanibell/Captiva

capecodstevecapecodsteve Posts: 1 Greenhorn
Hi, I will be staying at the Casa Yabel from January 12 to 22 and then at the Tween resort from Jan 22 to 27. Does anyone have any info on wading in these areas? I will be flyfishing and/or light spin fishing. I do a lot of striper fiushing on Cape Cod but am a newbie to wading in Florida. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks
Cape Cod Steve

Replies

• FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    From Tween Waters your best bet is walking the beach for snook.

And as far as wading goes...if your feet are wet you're in there too deep, the fish will be up tight against the surf line at most Florida beaches. You can tell who the tourists are easily...they've waded out waist deep and the fish are all behind them.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    There are many great places to fish by foot in the area, I don't know how many beach snook you will find in Late Jan though. I would focus on the backwaters hopefully other will chime in on exact locations but I believe Wild Life Dr. overs excellent access to the foot anglers. I fish those backwaters A LOT especially in the winter months but I'm always on a boat, Good luck!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,299 Admiral
    Blind pass on the inland side of the bridge has good wading. Rent a kayak at TW and paddle to the shallow flats and wade on the other side of island. Wear foot protection.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    True. Didn't notice the time of year the OP mentioned. Blind Pass is probably the ticket on foot.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,036 Captain
    There's a small fly shop on Sanibel (can't remember its name - if I ever knew it....). Contact them for decent current info on that area and when you're there get a look at their Crystal Schminnow fly (the guy there originated it just for that area...). Good luck and let us know how you do.... If you find the name of that shop and its phone number please post it (I get asked for it once or twice every now and then and would like to be able to point my anglers in the right direction.....

Here's my version of that pattern.....on a #4 Mustad 34007 hook with a wire weedguard (not needed for Sanibel but a must for the Everglades...)

[img][/img][img][/img]schminnow.jpg
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    That would be Norm's Fly Shop.

http://www.normzeiglersflyshop.com/

Now that you mention it, I think they offer guided wade trips.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I usually spend 4 months a year on Sanibel, I don't fish Captiva much if at all. The name of the fly shop is Norm Zeigler's fly Shop, he is a terrific guy and he is the man who invented the Schminnow.

Blind Pass is a great place to fish, I usually fish it from the Sanibel side, I suspect it will be crowded that time of the year as will be the whole island. Traffic is going to be a challenge because it is an island and there is only one main road. There are pay lots at the fish pier and lighthouse, Blind Pass, Bowmans beach and Tarpon Bay road . The have kiosks that are now $4 and hour and you can use cash or credit cards. The enforcement is 24 hours a day and they do enforce the parking at $50 a pop.

The wind is the biggest factor you will have to deal with. if you are lucky and have some sustained NE winds the beaches will be flat and clear otherwise you will have surf and off color water. The fish pier at the east end to the left of the pier is good if you have SW winds for Trout, Pompano, Jacks, Spanish Macs and of coarse some Snook.

The feet in the water is true to a degree, it is more important to move slowly and watch the water if trying to sight fish, what you really have to pay attention to is your shadow depending on the direction your walking. You will get some long shadows in the morning and you need to keep it off the water or you will spook the fish long before you ever see them.

As far as the parking is concerned you should do the sunrise rise thing if nothing else otherwise the lots will be full when you arrive because in January the Island is maxed out.

You will have to pay close attention to the shellers as they walk the beach. It can be frustrating because they will walk the waters edge and spook many fish and walk behind you without saying a word, your chances of hooking one are very good if you don't look before each cast some day's.

As far as Ding darling wildlife preserve along wildlife drive there is no wading because of alligators.

I find it best to use a floating line in Ding Darling and unweighted flies or bead chain eyes, no lead eyes. The beaches you should use an intermediate and bead chain or unweighted. The Schminnow in a size 4 s a good bet in Ding Darling

I think most people use flies that are to small when fishing the beaches, I like flies in a size 1 or 2. Stick with white, they don't have to be fancy either. I get a lot of fish using these.

I posted these just to give you an idea of the size fly that works not on just the Snook but on all the other fish I mentioned as well.

Simple ties an in white, I would suggest that you use a 30 to 35 pound bite tippet in flouro because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hope some of this helps
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,036 Captain
    Thanks guys for the info on Norm's shop. Many years ago (when my kids were small) we used to head that way -maybe even before the shop since I have four grandkids now (and a fifth on the way...). I've heard nothing but very good things about Norm and his shop... I've added the info to my index so that I can pass it along to my anglers when they're headed that way... I do remember the parking hassles there (and the folks shelling who were pretty much clueless about fly anglers and fishing in general....). When we used to visit there it was still long before any parking costs though (I must be getting older....).

By the way when I hand my anglers a rod with a Schminnow on the bitter end (usually an 8 or a 7wt) I do without the bite tippet, preferring straight 20lb fluoro instead. We do lose a few fish -but get a lot more bites (usually in **** Bay or similar places out of Flamingo). If you do use a bigger fly than the #4's we use then a bite tippet will work quite well... hope this helps.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,299 Admiral
    Seeing that pic of the gator made me laugh. I hit blind pass at 300 AM, walked under the ridge and along the shore, in-front of the mangroves. I was the only one there. I could here snook popping and started fishing. After an hour I realized I was a potential food source and moved to Bowman’s till sunup.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 549 Officer
    Gators in blind pass are rare, I've spent many a sleepless night wading there through the night. I have however had many close calls with sharks and stingrays there. Ding is full of gators, had an 8 footer chase me up onto the road a few days ago around the 6th culvert. Be careful, fish are not worth your life... do NOT go near the water in ding at night! Gators will show up. Bring a partner. Luckily they are pretty dormant in january. Ding is full of snook, reds, trout, ladyfish, jacks and even grouper in the winter. Shrimp patterns work well on spinning gear and small white flies or gurglers work well. Probably your best bet in winter, I fish it every day that time of year.
  • Capt HansenCapt Hansen Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I was wading deep in Blind Pass last year, I was retying and something made a giant boil ten feet away. I considered making a break for it, but shore was a ways away, so I convinced myself it wasn't a shark or gator and got back to fishing. A minute later a manatee showed itself
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Ding does have a fare share of Gators and they are not small. These are from this month
  • OutdoorAddictOutdoorAddict Posts: 68 Deckhand
    I would recommend Ding Darling also. Rent a kayak or canoe and hit the shallow flats out of the wind during low tide and you may find some tailing redfish.
  • StryderStryder Posts: 172 Deckhand
    This might help some great info on Ding Darling, be sure to scroll through the whole - info you want is contained in bottom half.
    http://forum.bestofsanibelcaptiva.com/viewtopic.php?t=5428

I have fished the rocks many times always done well, check out article below. Parking is a problem.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2014/03/14/sanibel-island-fly-fishing/

Good Luck.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky