BIGGEST GROUPER EVER?

Beautiful day to head out for grouper until I looked up and saw the nearly full moon at about 8:30 this morning. Huge high tide filled the back yard. What the heck, they still have to eat! Picked up pinfish from Bonnie and made it to the first stop. Some other boat beat me to it so started trolling. Fifty feet and grass brought the lures to the surface. Try again, and again and again. Place is covered in grass. Headed to the next spot and the grass wasn't too bad. Several circles around and through the "hot spot" and the starboard rod goes off. HUGE FISH! COULD BARELY GET ANY LINE BACK. BIGGEST GROUPER EVER, or so I thought. Finally got it to the surface close enough to see and it was truly HUGE! Just not a grouper, but a turtle! Got it to the boat and tried to retrieve my lure but lost it and the turtle/grouper swam away. Toughest ten or fifteen minute fight this old guy has had in years. Finally caught a puffer on a pinfish and a lizardfish on my famous jig. Got home and laid some sod in a bald spot in the front yard!Haven't we all had days like this? After all, this is a fishing report, not necessarily a fish CATCHING report!! Beats working!
SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?

Replies

• mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,150 Officer
    We saw many Turtles yesterday.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,471 Officer
    Sad but unavoidable to hook a turtle occasionally. It's usually nurse sharks that fool me. You are right, it was much more fun to go fishing than laying sod afterwards.:thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,851 Captain
    Many , many turtles out there now. We know what you mean. Gail hooked something last time out that we were sure it was Cobzilla. After a long fight, up came a big turtle. It too, carried the plug off as an ornament on his shell. On your trolling, the weeds are quite a problem now. Seems like its time for them to move on, like go away!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 550 Officer
    Fished Thursday and Friday in the bay. Never seen so many turtles at one time. Will post a report soon as I get my pics together. I thought it was a Great report.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,544 Moderator
    As a kid in Key West, turtle burgers were pretty good ..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,535 Captain
    We have been getting some good ones lately. Grass has made it tough. Trolling 300 feet at a time over structure. Got this one in 17 feet.

Be sure to bring extra split rings and hooks. Every time we get one over 30 inches it tears the hooks up pretty bad.
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Nice fish
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,033 Admiral
    capt louie wrote: »
    As a kid in Key West, turtle burgers were pretty good ..
    As a kid in CR the Green Tavern served a durn good green turtle burger and steak.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Please enlighten us ... which species of turtles are currently legal to harvest by hook and line? "Turtle Burgers"? Idiots.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,340 Officer
    ^Reading comprehension is not your friend^ Typical.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,527 Captain
    Turtles prob tastes a lot like Manatees...:grin
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,471 Officer
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Turtles prob tastes a lot like Manatees...:grin
    Neither of which is as tasty as dolphin. Dolphin make marlin look bush league when it comes to running and jumping. :wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,544 Moderator
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    As a kid in CR the Green Tavern served a durn good green turtle burger and steak.

I miss those days. Harvest of sea turtles was legal then. I like softshell turtle but haven't bothered with one in quit some time.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,437 Captain
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    Please enlighten us ... which species of turtles are currently legal to harvest by hook and line? "Turtle Burgers"? Idiots.

Name calling, way to be classy Luvtoyak
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,873 Captain
    I've never had turtle but I hear the old crackers talk of "**** stew" from time to time. Wonder what it tastes like.
  • hasbeenhasbeen Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Turtle is as good as manatee. But it has to be marinated over night in tears of the Cherokee.
  • ricerice Posts: 91 Deckhand
    They serve farmed turtle in the Cayman Islands. Pretty good.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,894 Captain
    Luv2Yak wrote: »

You don't harvest them with hook and line. You strike them with grains or net them. Or some people waited until they came on the beach to lay and flipped them after they laid. The eggs are good also. Very rich.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,657 Captain
    ^Reading comprehension is not your friend^ Typical.

Nope...not for him it isn't. No one said that green turtle were legal to catch (now a days) by hook and line in this thread.

I've eaten my fair share of snapping turtles over the years, my uncle use to take the eggs out, my aunt would scramble them. She would make soup out of the meat.

Course we ate rabbit, squirrels, and groundhogs so I guess we were ahead of out times :) ...and pretty **** poor. Wouldn't trade it for anything now as it was all good, we didn't know any difference, everyone around us were poor.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."