Pompano Beach 10/29/15

Launched at 630am off 12th st, it was eeire launching in the foggy mist -- about 100ft of visibily in the dark. Bait was abundant, but a little finicky. After filling up with runners, Started fishing at 730am and there was no current, rain, but thankfully little wind and frequent schools of baby bonitas breaking the water feeding. Fish bit good on runners for about 2-1/2 hours. During the bite caught a sail, nice king and lost 3 fish -- Suspect 2 were sharks and the other an AJ( reeled back 15ft of chaffed line from a wreck). Jig fishing was slow in the morning but got good in the late afternoon when a weak Nth current started. After the morning bite, dragged bait around all day without any other strikes. Final tally for a full day on the water, 1 sailfish(4th one this month off pompano), 2 kingfish, 2 Blackfin, 2 small amico, and 4 Jumbo Bonita. Somebody stole a bonita out of my fish bag next to my car when I went back to the beach to get my kayak. I would have given it to them if they had asked. Thankfully just a fish, but I mention it to remind fellow kayakers to keep your guard up. The sailfish did not fight too hard -- based on his beat up sail, looks like he has been caught more than once. Some of the biggest bonita I have caught in awhile, bonita generally don't strike the jig as hard as blackfin, so even though this one fought hard, I had a good idea what it was before I brought it up. Got this king on bait, was bit off twice and caught a smaller king on the jig. I was happy to get a dink blackfin earlier, but this one made the day.

Replies

• KFOKFO Posts: 109 Officer
    So they took the Bonita but left the fish bag? Lol that's pretty bizarre (and lucky I suppose)

Were the baby Bonita bait sized? Those were one of my favorite baits to use back home.

Nice sail and stud blackfin.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,806 Captain
    KFO wrote: »
    So they took the Bonita but left the fish bag? Lol that's pretty bizarre (and lucky I suppose)

Were the baby Bonita bait sized? Those were one of my favorite baits to use back home.

Nice sail and stud blackfin.

Thanks, Luckily the theives were not greedy, and probably unfamiliar with what they were taking. The baby bonitas ranged from suitable bait size to a little big. I did not try using them, though I have had success with them live bridled in the past, the last time I used them they produce sharks. Where is back home ? and what was your favorite method for fishing bonita ?
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    Solid fish!
    Thieves - Hopefully they get food poisoning.
    Like the fact that you leave your sails in the water.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    Tight work john.atleast they took the bonito and not the black fin ;)
    Hobie outback
  • KFOKFO Posts: 109 Officer
    Thanks, Luckily the theives were not greedy, and probably unfamiliar with what they were taking. The baby bonitas ranged from suitable bait size to a little big. I did not try using them, though I have had success with them live bridled in the past, the last time I used them they produce sharks. Where is back home ? and what was your favorite method for fishing bonita ?

Back home is the panhandle, Pensacola specifically. If you ever get the itch, it's a great fishery with a lot less pressure. We don't get the pelagic awesomeness that ya'll get down here, Kings/Cobia/tarpon were our big target species (kings being bread and butter target fish) But every few years we'd have a season where there would be a lot of sails/mahi caught, and it seemed to coincide with schools of ballyhoo and baby bonitas coming in close to shore (normally rarer baits for our area).

We'd always get so excited to get a bait sized bonita on the bait rig because it was a good omen it was a "pelagic-y" area haha. We'd usually just try to barely touch it and hook through the tip of the mouth (start under jaw come out of top of mouth). They still die fast but sometimes you get lucky and if you keep trolling they stay alive awhile. Either way dead or alive they have the perfect body for trolling and seemed to always produce.
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Officer
    Great catches John!!!!! Thieves I hate them. Good thing that's all they took!!! It's a shame but that's how it is nowadays

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    pompano seems to be getting worse and worse with thieves.. good point to keep a close watch especially at this location!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,806 Captain
    Thanks for the compliments everyone.
    Whelan wrote: »

Like the fact that you leave your sails in the water.

Thanks for taking notice -- really no need to drag the sailfish up on the lap so that it can be extra oxygen deprived, and loose some of it's protective slim making it even more susceptable to illness and death while it already is in an exhausted vulnerable condition.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Another nice report sir and some **** good catches!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    stud sized catches man
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com