Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pretty foggy...

It was foggy enough this morning that Palm Beach Pete snuck up on me on his paddle board... :grin When he told me what his fishing plan was I was impressed...It sounded like a couple gallons of gas for me.

The fog held on almost all morning but it was nice that the wind was not howling. Pete saw me catch trout #1 and we headed in different directions. It was a bit of looking here and there but was at 6 Trout and was surprised when I finally caught a small snook.
I switched locations and kept throwing the CAL till I was at 8 trout with 3 of them being nice over 20 inch size...and picked up a decent snook but was still looking for a Redfish bite...It was now sunny and warm and getting close to noon. It was my last stop before heading in and when the CAL hit right in the mangroves and was instantly tight..I was unsure for a half second if I was snagged...but snags don't pull back. A dogged fight and I was hopeful it was what I needed...and it was.

20151029_115231_zpszjgymx3j.jpg

5 minutes till noon...and that makes #112
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Nice job! Do you keep your redfish?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,665 AG
    I normally do not...
    If my daughter and grandkids come down from Maryland for Thanksgiving....I'll keep a few to send home with her.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice catch Joe. I never made it to where I was looking to go. You could have used your trolling motor and not burned any gas to get to where I fished. Lost count of the trout after 20 and only got one jack, one lady, one blue in the mix. My big trout of the day went 26".
  • Final PointFinal Point Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Congrats on 112 Joe. With the water being as dirty as it has been that is a real accomplishment!!
    Final Point Charters
    Specializing in Offshore/Nearshore/Backcountry trips in the Lower Keys
    Come fish the World Famous Lower Keys and see what all the hype is about!
    Check out our website for rates and booking information.
    772-584-1239
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,047 Captain
    #112 just keep on rolling
    Is the water clearing up
    The last few reds you caught were light colored
    or does that mean they came in from the beach
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    Good going Joe.

I went out last evening and got caught in a small but wicked thunder & lighting storm by Grand Harbor. Had 2 lightning strikes way too close for comfort….pretty scary trying to trolling motor out of an oyster field with lightning dropping around you. I got chased off the water only after 20 minutes of fishing…got 2 Snook though.
    The water is starting to clear up a little. Hope it keeps improving.
    AOKRVs wrote: »
    #112 just keep on rolling
    Is the water clearing up
    The last few reds you caught were light colored
    or does that mean they came in from the beach
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    I think I saw you out there today. Do you have a Hewes with a 140 Suzuki? If so I was in the kayak that passed you while you were talking to a guy in a Sea Fox
    I think I saw you out there today. Do you have a Hewes with a 140 Suzuki? If so I was in the kayak that passed you while you were talking to a guy in a Sea Fox

Yes, that was me..talking to Hook up & go...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Yes, that was me..talking to Hook up & go...

Thought so. It was kinda slow out there for me, picked up a few slot trout but that's about it
  • HookupAndGoHookupAndGo Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Just a couple trout for me as well, with one topping out at 24". But yeah, slow.

Looking forward to the water clearing up some, hard to believe how muddy brown it is.
    As HookupAndgo said...the water quality up by Sebastian is very poor. The fish are still in it however. If you stay with bright colors worked on the bottom slowly..you can grind out a few fish. The last few days it has been the Redfish that has held me off. I have been banging out Trout first and sometimes I stay and work them but I know that I really need to get going since the Reds are not sightable.
    Numbers wise the past few days have been above average with some very nice Trout to start the day. I am sure if you wanted to stay on the trout you could make a good day of just that. When I switch over to banging shoreline the snook come on primary and secondary points...some days will be nicer fish...other days a lot of little guys. Yesterday, after putting away five trout and already having a small snook I went looking for that Red...and 10 snook later...gave up.

Today, I started out good with two very nice trout on my first spot. Ran south to where cleaner water was yesterday but it was not as nice. I did jump off a exceptional Tarpon ( for backwaters ) and I made a mistake to not check my line after that..apparently, I had a line knick...I broke off a decent snook on the hookset shortly after. :banghead I retie and get back at it...and get 4 snook before I finally get this guy...

20151102_084836_zps5em3hjxe.jpg

No monster...but the right kind...and that's #113

I will welcome some cleaner water...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    :thumbsup
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    As HookupAndgo said...the water quality up by Sebastian is very poor. The fish are still in it however. If you stay with bright colors worked on the bottom slowly..you can grind out a few fish. The last few days it has been the Redfish that has held me off. I have been banging out Trout first and sometimes I stay and work them but I know that I really need to get going since the Reds are not sightable.
    Numbers wise the past few days have been above average with some very nice Trout to start the day. I am sure if you wanted to stay on the trout you could make a good day of just that. When I switch over to banging shoreline the snook come on primary and secondary points...some days will be nicer fish...other days a lot of little guys. Yesterday, after putting away five trout and already having a small snook I went looking for that Red...and 10 snook later...gave up.

Today, I started out good with two very nice trout on my first spot. Ran south to where cleaner water was yesterday but it was not as nice. I did jump off a exceptional Tarpon ( for backwaters ) and I made a mistake to not check my line after that..apparently, I had a line knick...I broke off a decent snook on the hookset shortly after. :banghead I retie and get back at it...and get 4 snook before I finally get this guy...

20151102_084836_zps5em3hjxe.jpg

No monster...but the right kind...and that's #113

I will welcome some cleaner water...