Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Do you carry personal protection?

I know this is a touchy subject for some, but...

Been reading a lot lately about break ins, stolen equipment, confrontations, etc. I fish a whole lot out of my kayak and, of course, wind up launching all over the place - in some spots that are real remote.Never really thought about carrying anything with me but beginning to wonder if I should.

For my own edification, do you carry? If so, why or why not? And what is your personal preference?

Again, not trying to stir a pot or anything. Just curious what my fellow anglers are doing.

Replies

• Catalina26Catalina26 Posts: 231 Officer
    Remember you are allowed to open carry house bill 45. To from and during hunting fishing or camping. I strongly encourage it. My thoughts are better to have it not need it then need it and not have it.
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    A couple of things have happened at the ramps and causeways nearby, arguments / shots fired. I evaluate the risk and act accordingly. Carrying may be an option, depends on a ton of considerations. No matter what, I try my best to be alert and aware of my surroundings. I can't speak for anyone else but I know I really do not want to take someones life. I will defend mine using any means necessary. I am really attached to it. =)

I worry about leaving anything valuable in my truck so I probably wouldn't carry while wade fishing for instance.

I want to blend in and be left alone so I choose not to open carry. I'll stick to what makes me feel secure.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ketch-upKetch-up Posts: 305 Officer
    I carry personal protection to prevent disease from being spread. Wouldn't want that on my mind.
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Double protection due to in appropriate activity. :grin:grin:grin:grin

NRA:thumbsup

I know this is a touchy subject for some, but...

Been reading a lot lately about break ins, stolen equipment, confrontations, etc. I fish a whole lot out of my kayak and, of course, wind up launching all over the place - in some spots that are real remote.Never really thought about carrying anything with me but beginning to wonder if I should.

For my own edification, do you carry? If so, why or why not? And what is your personal preference?

Again, not trying to stir a pot or anything. Just curious what my fellow anglers are doing.
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    Thanks for the thoughts thus far. Even the disease one... ;)

I haven't carried to this point because, well, I've just never thought to. Lately though things seem to be... crazier to me.
  • AlleniAlleni Posts: 344 Deckhand
    I conceal carry when I'm in remote places on foot. I would never confront anyone with a weapon but I would use it for protection. Let the authorities deal with break-ins and theft. Cell phone is a better "weapon", take picture of criminals in the act or of damage of property. Always call the police, dont get yourself into trouble. I know its legal to open carry when fishing and camping but i tend not to do it as often because it causes more problems than anything.
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    I concur. Let the law deal with law breaker. I open carry so that crazy people(crack head) will not touch my boat or car while loading and unloading my stuff. One time when unloading my air boat, some crack head come ova and start touching my engine. I told him touch it again and will lose some finger or two. :nono:nono:nono:nono:machinegun:machinegun:machinegun:machinegun
    Alleni wrote: »
    I conceal carry when I'm in remote places on foot. I would never confront anyone with a weapon but I would use it for protection. Let the authorities deal with break-ins and theft. Cell phone is a better "weapon", take picture of criminals in the act or of damage of property. Always call the police, dont get yourself into trouble. I know its legal to open carry when fishing and camping but i tend not to do it as often because it causes more problems than anything.
  • VeroWingVeroWing Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    I have CC permit but only carry when I go into questionable areas or situations.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,358 Officer
    I carry at all times, wading, in my kayak, I do not leave my front door without a 45 acp. In my waistband. I do not wish any confrontation or to be put in a circumstance where I would need to use it. The reason I began carrying is due to some of the remote places I would fish there would constantly be shady characters around. After carrying for so long it became as routine to carry as grabbing your car keys when you leave home. You would not believe how many people carry these days.
  • JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    I believe that your not allowed to conceal carry in hazardous areas. How does that work?
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Well what do you aim (pardon the pun) to accomplish by carrying a gun?

Breaking it down, the odds that you'll ever have the opportunity to stop a crime in progress are very remote. Thieves do not break into cars while anyone is around to see it, so carrying a gun to prevent or stop breakins has to have a potential success rate of pretty close to 0%.

But let's suppose the very rare instance happens that you inadvertently happen upon someone in the act of B&E....odds that it is your car out of the whole parking lot are even more microscopic. Do you intend to get into a gun fight to protect the glove box contents of a complete stranger?

Suppose you hit the lottery and you surprise someone breaking into your vehicle. Are the possessions in your car worth enough to you to kill someone? Are they worth enough to you to be killed yourself trying to protect them? Are they worth having a little kid or pregnant mother or father of three get shot to death in the crossfire because they happened to be walking by when you and the their start shooting guns at each other? To me, the answer to these is always "No" because if I have possessions worth enough to me to die for or to kill for, I would never leave them in my unattended car in a remote parking lot for many hours. They would be at home under lock and key or in some secure facility.

These are the questions - and to my way of thinking the ONLY questions - that each individual MUST ask themselves before deciding to carry a gun in scenarios where only property is at risk without it.

For me personally I never go anywhere without he most powerful and potent personal protection known to man: the brain. If I happen upon someone stealing my stuff out of my car, I can shout at them from a safe and sheltered distance and observe their appearance, get-away vehicle (and plates) and have law enforcement take care of them as they are trained to do. Personally I hold my life (and the life of a thief, too - I'm not about to kill someone over some fishing equipment) as much more precious than whatever replaceable stuff I have in my car that someone might steal. Deadly force never enters my realm of considerations unless there is deadly force threatening my life or the life of others. And I've been in situations where an armed potential assailant approached me with designs of ripping me off or worse, and I've never needed a gun to get out of those situations 100% unscathed.

But again that's a set of decisions and priorities everyone must make. As long as they consider the facts, reality and consequences involved, then they are free to make their own choices. Heck they're free to choose even if they put no thought to any of it, but that would be very irresponsible. Carrying guns or having one in the home because "something might happen" is to me not a good enough reason to outweigh the huge inherent risk. Statistically speaking, a personal protection handgun at home is 43-times more likely to be used against a member of the household than to ever be used in self-defense. But if you live in an extremely high crime area where breakins, murders and rapes happen all the time, then a gun at home could be worth the risk. But again, I strongly believe the brain is a much more powerful defense than the gun. Being aware of the relative safety of your location is an easy preventive measure. Not having anything worth stealing left openly visible in your car is another. I mean you're fishing - anything of value is going with you on the water, so leave everything else at home. Thieves only break into cars if they see something worth stealing in them.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,681 AG
    Sizuper wrote: »
    Thieves only break into cars if they see something worth stealing in them.

You did great right up to here...... BUT...

Thieves break into cars all the time with nothing in view...once in the car they can hit the trunk release and rifle not just the ashtray for coins...and the glove box / center console...now they have access to where some people mistakenly think belongings will be safe.

In my time, I wrote so many auto burg reports...I can see them in my nightmares.

Don't leave anything in an unattended vehicle...that you want to keep. :)
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Ship this thread to OT it could get some legs and run.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,372 Officer
    Sizuper; been drinking the Democrat Kool Aid lately? Your statistics about the probability of the homeowner being shot or killed by his own weapon has been proven BS for a long time now. I happen to agree with you about confronting a car burglar or other thug; let the cops handle it. However, when it comes to some thug trying to do me or my family harm I'm not sorry if he loses his worthless life.
  • RondoRondo Posts: 764 Officer
    :thumbsup
    fish_stix wrote: »
    Sizuper; been drinking the Democrat Kool Aid lately? Your statistics about the probability of the homeowner being shot or killed by his own weapon has been proven BS for a long time now. I happen to agree with you about confronting a car burglar or other thug; let the cops handle it. However, when it comes to some thug trying to do me or my family harm I'm not sorry if he loses his worthless life.
  • Cryinsham30Cryinsham30 Posts: 125 Officer
    I carry, My wife carries, my daughters can both make a 1-2 MOA group with multiple weapons at shorter ranges. Only difference I see for me is switching to more stainless vs black guns in the future :)

No property is worth killing someone over, however I will not sit by idly and watch a crime be commited and if the burglar become an aggressor, then it is not about the property, it is about the safety and/or live of those around. I carry a gun because most cops I know are too heavy.

Now as for the fence sitter "it may be ok to have a gun close by if maybe there is rain on a sunday in panama, but other than that Im a against them" types. Yes a gun in the home does increase the likelihood of a gun accident happening in that home, in the same way having a knife increases the chances of being cut etc. But growing up in the various places I did, A gun is often the only thing between you and someone who does not even consider you a human being, but a target/source of income.

However, Don;t just get your permit and throw your gun on every day. Practice/drill/take safety and/or training courses to help you better prepare for what if. Muscle memory goes a lot further during your brain crisis sequence than knowledge gleened from youtube videos.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    When I used to trailer a boat around back and forth across highway 60 to Tampa/lake kissimmee/Sebastian at all hours and fished a lot at night I carried a pump shotgun behind the seat in the truck. As far as carrying now when I'm fishing, usually an 8 in rubber pistol grip skinning knife in case I run into a gator while wading - also handy for cutting bait. But too many hotheads and families around to be adding a weapon to the mix.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    Sizuper wrote: »
    Well what do you aim (pardon the pun) to accomplish by carrying a gun?
    To help stay alive.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,681 AG
    I will not sit by idly and watch a crime be commited and if the burglar become an aggressor,
    You should not be sitting idly by...you should be calling the law from a *safe distance*....which will insure that the burglar will never be the aggressor...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    You should not be sitting idly by...you should be calling the law from a *safe distance*....which will insure that the burglar will never be the aggressor...

^^^THIS.

I don't want to carry in order to prevent crime. I don't want to carry because I'm looking for a fight. I want to carry for the same reason I have a hurricane kit in my house, and a mini-survival kit in my truck - what if?

I don't plan on a hurricane or tornado knocking out power for weeks on end, as I lived through after Hurricane Frederick in Mobile (79). I don't plan on being stuck on an Interstate somewhere for an overnight while_insert-accident-ahead-here_ gets cleaned up. But what if it happens? In my case, I and my family should be just fine.

I think 99.99999% of the time I'll be fine launching at some of these spots. And if my truck gets smashed into, I won't be playing Barney Fife and rushing to citizen-arrest folks. But what if someone actually threatens my life? Or my wife's? It's a scenario I hope I never have to go through, but one I am now prepared to go through.

PS Anyone who picks up a pistol without being trained in its use and practicing, A LOT, is a moron. Firearms training is prevalent and relatively cheap. Practice. Train muscle movement to avoid accidents and such. And PLAN. A carry permit and weapon is for a very, very specific purpose. Don't be stupid.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    I think there are only a few instances when carrying a gun for protection would be helpful. 1) If you are in a situation where a criminal or terrorist goes on a shooting spree and you cant escape, or feel you could eliminate the threat on yours or other peoples lives. 2.) If you are robbed at gunpoint. Other than that seems like it causes more issues, or violence than it would stop. I would be very fearful even in those situations to fire a weapon because the bullet could fragment or ricochet and hurt someone.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • MateauMateau Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I carry. EVERYWHERE. including on my boat loading boat, washing boat. I think of it this way, i would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. My ruger lcp tucks nicely in my waistband. Even when i wear athletic shorts.