Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Attempting to switch from left coast to right coast

Good morning! I've always fished in Ft Myers, because, well, I didn't have a boat and my buddy did. Now, I have alleviated the no boat by buying a 22' bay. I have still been toting it down south from Orlando, because that's what I know. I figured I could save a TON of wear and tear on the truck if I just learned how to fish closer to home. I want to start in the PC area. I don't want spots, I'm just looking for general areas to launch, places to avoid, so that I don't have military pulling guns on me, can I fish inside the port, Etc. I hear about locks to get to the river from the port. I'm just looking for some general friendly advice:hail I can trade some info for Pine Island area if that would work.

Thank you very a much in advance

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,696 AG
    Not be be a wise guy...but the fishing is generally better over there...Have you considered leaving your boat in a storage facility during peak fishing time? Bring it home after peak fishing (or when you will not be able to get over that way for a while)

The Sebastian area is generally dependent on baitfish migrations which happen twice per year. The inlet fishery is the only one that is consistent for the average weekend guy. The rest of the year it takes a good bit of local knowledge to do even just " OK " in the river proper ....

You could work on your nearshore (beach fishing) which is good thru summer...launch at the port.... generally.... fish south.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • DeHavenDeHaven Posts: 253 Officer
    You can fish inside the port, but not tie up or even get hung up on the docks there. You cannot fish the last basin to the East (submarine basin) or the cruise basin (western most) when there is any cruise ships docked. Not sure about the central one, but probably same rules apply.
    The new ramps at Port Canaveral are very close to the end of the jetty where you can run. Fish can be had on the North Jetty. I've seen snook, flounder, and redfish caught there recently. I caught an overslot red a few Thursdays back.

If you want to fish the Banana river, Kelly park is the best bet. It's right off of 528 on N. Banana River Drive. I made the video below.
    [video]

An easy ramp on the Indian river is at Cocoa Village right off 520.

There is also a ramp off of 520 across from the hospital on the Banana River that is easy access. I haven't made a video there, yet.
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    This is my experience

Fall time (Mullet run) I fish for Jack, Blue, spanish mack, red and black drum and snook right on the beach at the launch pad (The Bite). .

Winter time. Start changing my gear and go to Titusville bridge and Oak Hill for some shrimp. .

Spring time. Cobia be coming thru right on the Beach.

Summer time Time to find a friend with a big boat to run offshore(out of charter range) to get some Mahi, grouper, snapper, Wahoo, King, Bonita. Forgot about crabbing too (lots of crab around) :cool:

Good luck... Lots of stuff to do

Good morning! I've always fished in Ft Myers, because, well, I didn't have a boat and my buddy did. Now, I have alleviated the no boat by buying a 22' bay. I have still been toting it down south from Orlando, because that's what I know. I figured I could save a TON of wear and tear on the truck if I just learned how to fish closer to home. I want to start in the PC area. I don't want spots, I'm just looking for general areas to launch, places to avoid, so that I don't have military pulling guns on me, can I fish inside the port, Etc. I hear about locks to get to the river from the port. I'm just looking for some general friendly advice:hail I can trade some info for Pine Island area if that would work.

Thank you very a much in advance