Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

RED TIDE?

I was listening to a fishing show this morning and the captains had said that there is some red tide in the passes is that the case or which passes are they talking about?

Replies

• ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Not sure if you were listening to the same show but "Reel Talk" on espn radio mentioned the red tide starting to move in up north between Sarasota and Tampa. I wasn't paying much attention as we were idling through a no wake zone and I was tying some new leaders so that's about as much as I can tell you. I haven't seen or heard of anything between Estero bay and Charlotte Harbor, anything further north or south can't speak for.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    There is red tide near stump pass right now. Once you're in lemon bay the further north you get from stump pass the better it gets...
    By Tom Adams bridge it's non-existent.

On the Gulf side though different story. It's further north than I wanted to travel in the boat yesterday so I turned back and went up in Lemon Bay.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    I got just a whiff of red tide Thursday and Friday driving across the Boca Grande bridge. It was just a whiff but it was there. I did not smell it anywhere else on the island as of Friday afternoon.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    I fished nearshore Sarasota this past week. No evidence of red tide anywhere, no dead fish, no dead shrimp in livewell. When I first got to Siesta Key last week there were some dead fish on the beach but it was really mild.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RockyTopRockyTop Posts: 147 Deckhand
    I went to a local (Matlacha) fish market to buy some live oysters on Saturday and was told that there were no local oysters available right now due to Red Tide in the area ...
  • ComandanteComandante Posts: 290 Deckhand
    I received first hand dead fish reports today, both from the intracoastal area and offshore between the M15 and M16 Sarasota County artificial teefs.
  • Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 157 Deckhand
    Today in Boca Grande it was very slightly detectable on the beach around the middle of the island but no dead fish yet.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 456 Deckhand
    got a report that there are lots of dead fish at stump pass and ski Ally yesterday and the smell was very bad I was also told of a time about 5 to 7years ago a red tide that was in September and killed lots of big redfish while they were breeding that's just awful
  • spydermonkeyspydermonkey Posts: 764 Officer
    got a report that there are lots of dead fish at stump pass and ski Ally yesterday and the smell was very bad I was also told of a time about 5 to 7years ago a red tide that was in September and killed lots of big redfish while they were breeding that's just awful
    I remember that fish kill. Tons of dead snook, tarpon, and reds on stump pass beach. Gonna be there around thanksgiving. How extensive is the fish kill and do you guys know if the red tide will still be there around thanksgiving? Thanks.
    "Insert intelligent sounding quote here"