Long Key Advice

Good afternoon guys. Looking for some tips on an upcoming camping trip to Long Key. I'm new to FL fishing and mostly do inshore for reds, trout, and flounder in the NE region. The wife and I are headed down to Long Key for the first time Nov. 22. I am starting to research the fishing around Long Key and it looks to be a beautiful area to fish. We will have our kayak and I also want to do some wade fishing. Any and all tips would be appreciated. Bait, rigs, what can I expect to catch, etc... Thanks for helping out the new guy.

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    MattC wrote: »
    Good afternoon guys. Looking for some tips on an upcoming camping trip to Long Key. I'm new to FL fishing and mostly do inshore for reds, trout, and flounder in the NE region. The wife and I are headed down to Long Key for the first time Nov. 22. I am starting to research the fishing around Long Key and it looks to be a beautiful area to fish. We will have our kayak and I also want to do some wade fishing. Any and all tips would be appreciated. Bait, rigs, what can I expect to catch, etc... Thanks for helping out the new guy.

Good Bonefishing wading the Flat at the State Park.
  • MattCMattC Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Good Bonefishing wading the Flat at the State Park.

Thanks. I have also read that the time of year we are going, late November, you can see trout and pompano coming in on the flats. Is that true or just some random internet talk?
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 786 Officer
    I netted some mullet in Key Largo last week and got a small pomp in the net. Who knows??
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    We were at Long key state park last week. Great park for kayaks and wade fishing you are right on the water. Large flats area right a your camp site. We were mainly diving for lobster, we did see a few fish around. We did fish the party boat at Robbie's. We went on the night trip and caught a lot of fish.
  • addicted2reelinaddicted2reelin Posts: 137 Deckhand
    Looking at going there next month, thanks dudes for advice.