10/18 - Key Largo trolling report. Big waves, need to put my friends on some fish.

Took my boat out at 6:45am. Ran out to the dropoff where it goes from 20-35feet to 110 and trolled some skirted balyhoo and squids. Tried to run out to deeper water, but was too sketchy.
At about 10am the waves were way too big for my boat. It's a 17.5ft and the waves were around 3-4 feet. According to Noaa marine report its going to be 4-6ft later today. and even bigger over the next couple days. We are only here another 3 days. Would love to put my friends on some fish

We didn't get anything trolling. I wasn't expecting much anyways since normally i'de run out much further and look for weed lines. I was just trolling along the shall reef drop-off this time.
We found some mangroves cruising the channels on the way back to the house. I'm new to key largo, but have lived in the lower keys. Looks like we won't be able to do any more trolling with these conditions =(

And help & tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and good fishing!
Turtle Time -
236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
JKbIqtU.jpg

Replies

• fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,301 Officer
    Go to the bayside or stay home and drink beer until better weather arrives! :wink
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,498 Captain
    it will be MASSIVE, TERRIFYING, DANGEROUS, etc. by 2moro
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    it will be MASSIVE, TERRIFYING, DANGEROUS, etc. by 2moro

My crew has pressured me into the depths of the dark. I'm going out tomorrow to bottom fish 80ft and hopefully the swells won't knock us around too much.

Any spots blocked by the big waves I can get some yellowtail on?
    Turtle Time -
    JKbIqtU.jpg
  • BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Probably not the best idea with the wind. You will be best off in the back country. Find a nice channel and put out a chum bag. The fish will show up so you can at least bend the rod. It will be big for a 17' boat on the reef line. Good luck
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    BullMarket wrote: »
    Probably not the best idea with the wind. You will be best off in the back country. Find a nice channel and put out a chum bag. The fish will show up so you can at least bend the rod. It will be big for a 17' boat on the reef line. Good luck

Yea, woke up this morning and it was very windy so I think we made the right choice not going out. We would have been tossed
    Did find some big snappers so that's always fun when everything else is working against you
    Turtle Time -
    JKbIqtU.jpg
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    The 6PM Local News is calling for 25 to 35 knot winds and seas 9 to 11 ft. I would take Fish_Stix suggestion and check out the local watering hole. :beer
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,498 Captain
    tiki= good fishing today- gusts to over 40 mph here 2day
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,104 Officer
    Find a patch in 15-35 feet and anchor up if sees allow it in your boat, chum catch Mack's, snappers and possible mutton too! Shallow water is a sure bet about now w cloudy murky water