Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sebastion Inlet Silent Majority

Replies

• mmikitammikita Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Again, you have no idea what you re talking about. You are not even familiar with the area or the restriction. You want to believe that the jerks in question and probably yourself should never be approached in any manner. Snail darter??? what in the hell are you even talking about. You need to stop on this thread right now. You are identifying yourself as one of the people that most if not all of the rest of us on this thread are concerned about.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Teej wrote: »
    Jeez, I'm sure I'll get zinged for this, yet...for a person with a signature line that reads:
    "Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'

Why you given mmikita so much grief?

I think that's a fair question, but you can't tell?

I'm not trying to give him so much grief, as I'm trying to be objective concerning the OP, and in my mind it's not adding up, unless you consider that he disrespectfully or demeaningly chewed out these guys, which is about what it would take to **** off all but the most psychotic, mouth-breathing shore fishermen to the degree it would be worth it for them to risk what they did. I don't know Him from Adam, and don't recall seeing him post elsewhere in order to get a general bead on his personality, but as far as this thread is concerned, I'm just calling it like I see it.

I get being pissed off that your tires got slashed, and I hope whoever did it, by some miracle gets found out and has to pay dearly. But the overall tone isn't setting w me.

Maybe a little too much self-righteousness? Maybe a little too much respect for animals, and not enough for his fellow man? Maybe a little too much whine with the cheese?

Just my thoughts...
    mmikita wrote: »
    "... you are not supposed to be there." .

You need to stop on this thread right now.

Seein' a pattern here...
    Comments Please.

Careful what you ask for.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,495 AG
    You need to stop on this thread right now. You are identifying yourself as one of the people that most if not all of the rest of us on this thread are concerned about.

I don't think he needs to stop...He has his own opinion and is exercising that right. This is an open forum and as long as he does not violate the terms of use...he's fine.

And for the record...I do not think I am the least bit concerned with PP.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Sebastian Inlet. I think the place is a bit wild and have had a couple of experiences there myself. I don't have the courage to confront anyone for doing anything illegal and I appreciate your sharing what happened to you. It probably is a good idea to report the rule breakers to the authorities rather than confront them.

I sold a boat and the buyer later complained that one of the trailer tires went flat. The next day my Suburban had a flat. I have often wondered if the buyer did that for revenge, and your story points out that there are folks who will damage tires. I could also be paranoid.
    PP, Perhaps it is I who is mistaken. Maybe I need to leave the thread. Because I am getting a little pissed off with your endless speculation and disbelief. You don't know who I am. Well I use my name in the post so that is a start. What more about me? I received a PhD in CLinical Psychology from FLorida State in 1980 and worked for 20 years of my career in Federal Prisons. I have seen and dealt with every human aberration you could ever imagine. I have fished all my life and yes I do put a higher priority on the resource than the people who take it for granted or worse, want to abuse it. I try to always play by the rules even though there are plenty of rules I don't care for nor see the reason for because I understand the social contract.
    There are people who tend to blame the victim, generally because the narrative blows a hole in their preferred view of the world. It is at best a weak mental process. I can understand why you might be skeptical about the incident I described in the OP, but it happened exactly as I described it. Exactly. Unfortunately , the tire slashers have chosen not to participate in the discussion so you are sort of on your own in drafting your preferred view. I submit further that there is a very large difference in stating that you find it hard to believe something than saying I don't believe it. You end up calling someone a liar in the latter instance and that is sort of adding insult to injury. Bottom line -- think whatever you want, but do me and the rest of the people on this board a big favor and keep your theories to yourself. Do whatever you want with this reply. I'm done with you.
  • Running the beachRunning the beach Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I am the other kayaker that was out there on the morning in question and can confirm that the event happened exactly as MMikita has stated. It has been such a wonderful experience fishing this seasons mullet run that I am trying very hard to not let this bad experience taint it. Starting in September on the beach predawn catching small snook and huge lady fish on fly, having numerous shots at tarpon, shots, not takes unfortunately. October was chasing bait schools all over the river in the kayak throwing plugs and holding on tight to the trout rod with both hands during numerous kayak sleigh rides. The funny thing is that of all the places we have dropped kayaks in the water over the years from Scottsmoor down to Jenson Beach Sebastian Inlet is the one place I never worried about anything happening to the car. Sad to say I that won't be the case going forward.

Oh, be advised for those of you that fish the beach, the sheriff that responded to the tire slashing incident told me that there have a rash of break ins in cars parked on road south of the inlet. Windows smashed and contents stolen. She said the thieves drive down from Brevard, hit cars parked at the beach and run back north.
  • TeejTeej Posts: 153 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I don't think he needs to stop...He has his own opinion and is exercising that right. This is an open forum and as long as he does not violate the terms of use...he's fine.

And for the record...I do not think I am the least bit concerned with PP.

Agree, woohoo!!
    PP, Perhaps it is I who is mistaken. Maybe I need to leave the thread. Because I am getting a little pissed off with your endless speculation and disbelief. You don't know who I am. Well I use my name in the post so that is a start. What more about me? I received a PhD in CLinical Psychology from FLorida State in 1980 and worked for 20 years of my career in Federal Prisons. I have seen and dealt with every human aberration you could ever imagine. I have fished all my life and yes I do put a higher priority on the resource than the people who take it for granted or worse, want to abuse it. I try to always play by the rules even though there are plenty of rules I don't care for nor see the reason for because I understand the social contract.
    There are people who tend to blame the victim, generally because the narrative blows a hole in their preferred view of the world. It is at best a weak mental process. I can understand why you might be skeptical about the incident I described in the OP, but it happened exactly as I described it. Exactly. Unfortunately , the tire slashers have chosen not to participate in the discussion so you are sort of on your own in drafting your preferred view. I submit further that there is a very large difference in stating that you find it hard to believe something than saying I don't believe it. You end up calling someone a liar in the latter instance and that is sort of adding insult to injury. Bottom line -- think whatever you want, but do me and the rest of the people on this board a big favor and keep your theories to yourself. Do whatever you want with this reply. I'm done with you.

:funnypost
    Agree, woohoo!!
    Meant to preface that with ...and now for something completely different...because the tone was getting as heavy as what went down in our local community...which we should take seriously before it happens to me or you or your spouse or your children or your grandchildren or friends or...well, you get the point.
    Oh, be advised for those of you that fish the beach, the sheriff that responded to the tire slashing incident told me that there have a rash of break ins in cars parked on road south of the inlet. Windows smashed and contents stolen. She said the thieves drive down from Brevard, hit cars parked at the beach and run back north.

To say it has been " a rash" is silly.... It is a debilitating disease. I worked ( retired 7 years now ) LEO 27 years beachside and break ins of cars has been going on a very long time.

If you want to be safe....leave your windows down and nothing in the car to steal.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    And 5 pages later( see reply #5 to this thread ) ...I will repeat my original statement...because it is still true.

If you confront people..... things do not always go well..... Letting Police do the policing is generally the best policy.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Ah...thank you for your service...that is a career that is very hard. I venture to guess that PP is Detective Police then? His logical assumptions though insulting to the reporting victim, the reminder of his signature line that not every victim is a suspect, the irritation at being questioned - all rings of someone who expects respect of authority.

Again, thank you for what you do guys, a life neck deep in the rogue element changes the way one sees the world - glad to see you're decompressing in retirement DuckmanJr.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 10,280 AG
    I don't know why this thread is so hard.

Guys are fishing where they are breaking the law, laws which abiding citizens follow. It doesn't matter if he was nice and courtious or told them to get bent. It doesn't matter if it is a stupid law or if you disagree with it. They went ahead and broke another law because they didn't like that the OP was pointing out that they were breaking a law.

I could tell you what I wish on dirtballs like them that ruin it for the rest of us, but I'd hate to derail the thread...

Plus, I'd hate to get my tires slashed for my opinion.

Captain Todd Approves

Ah...thank you for your service...that is a career that is very hard. I venture to guess that PP is Detective Police then? His logical assumptions though insulting to the reporting victim, the reminder of his signature line that not every victim is a suspect, the irritation at being questioned - all rings of someone who expects respect of authority.

Again, thank you for what you do guys, a life neck deep in the rogue element changes the way one sees the world - glad to see you're decompressing in retirement DuckmanJr.

Another :funnypost
  • jlitton85jlitton85 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Fishing has been good at SI lately as it almost always is this time of year. BUt good fishing also draws lots of people, which is fine, but not all of them good people, which is bad. My friend and I launched our kayaks early in the dark yesterday and paddled around the point to try our luck. As we rounded the point we saw three persons, headlights, baits buckets, staked rods. aerators, you name it on the point of the rocks clearly and entirely way beyond the fence and marker prohibiting entry. We had seen it before. But this time I called out and said, "Hey I don't know if you know it or not but you are not supposed to be there." I heard one of them call out in the dark "what? and I repeated just what I had said, nothing inflammatory or colorful, and went on my way. Turned out to be a mistake. Later in the morning I buried a small treble in my hand trying to gently release a trout so we came in. I needed urgent care. What did I find?? Two, not one of my tires totally flat with a knife slash in both sidewalls. The rest of the day was a bit of a challenge. THese guys intended to teach me a lesson. Keep your mouth shut. So now I know why no one out there ever says anything to people who haul up oversized snook at the north jetty using a pier net, flip them on the concrete and then heave them back almost contemptuously because they are too big. That is the fish's crime. Punishment?? possible death. That is the environment you get when no one enforces rules and everyone is afraid to speak up. One of the truly beautiful and productive areas in Florida becomes dark and even dangerous. I do not have the answer to this, but it is something we all need to think about and talk about. My fishing companion is a woman and is still very upset about this and all the other similar stuff that happens out there. THe bad guys want to take it from the rest of us and they could and do succeed. There is a lot of insecurity and even fear out there. Comments Please.

The big thing I've noticed the last 4-5 times I've been there, is the place is getting full of people I definitely never want to be around, and some just really rough look people.
  • Running the beachRunning the beach Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Duckman, I just wanted to mention how much I have enjoyed your posts. You are what I would refer to as a one percenter. That is the one percent of fisherman who catch 99% of the fish. I certainly don't include myself in that category. You are an inspiration. And as far as the "rash" of car break-ins on A1A, that is how the sheriff characterized it. No doubt those sorts of things have been going on for a long time. I only mentioned it so that those that like to fish that area can take the sorts of precautions that you mentioned. I wish you continued success
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    To say it has been " a rash" is silly.... It is a debilitating disease. I worked ( retired 7 years now ) LEO 27 years beachside and break ins of cars has been going on a very long time.

If you want to be safe....leave your windows down and nothing in the car to steal.

Do you really do that or is that a joke?
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    PP is so thrilled with a dead barracuda at the dock he made it his avatar......while his fishing partner looks less than thrilled
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
    PP is so thrilled with a dead barracuda at the dock he made it his avatar......while his fishing partner looks less than thrilled

:ontopic
    Do you really do that or is that a joke?

That...sadly...is NO JOKE. If you are going to the beach and use beach access's ..... You should take your drivers license, Registration, and insurance card along with a small amount of cash in a small plastic waterproof case with you...Leave your car empty (trunk too) with the windows down...This way when Mr. methhead shows up ( he will) ...He has easy access without destroying anything...can rifle thru...get nothing...then break the window on the car next to you.

This is also solid advice for out of the way ramps like biolab or beacon 42 etc....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Duckman, I just wanted to mention how much I have enjoyed your posts. You are what I would refer to as a one percenter. That is the one percent of fisherman who catch 99% of the fish. I certainly don't include myself in that category. You are an inspiration. And as far as the "rash" of car break-ins on A1A, that is how the sheriff characterized it. No doubt those sorts of things have been going on for a long time. I only mentioned it so that those that like to fish that area can take the sorts of precautions that you mentioned. I wish you continued success

Thank you.....

My wife feels my fishing is a mental tick...a borderline personality disorder... :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    mplspug wrote: »
    I don't know why this thread is so hard.

Guys are fishing where they are breaking the law,

They were NOT fishing in an area that was not legal....the OP is saying that they gained access in a non approved manner.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckman, you are splitting hairs here for no apparent reason. If you want to get literal then the issue was not simply that they "gained access" or in a "non-approved manner" They ILLEGALLY gained access and ILLEGALLY occupied a piece of land both of which are expressly prohibited. marked (fence) and posted. I am informed by Park service that there is a $140.00 fine per person for these violations. If you want to lay in your law enforcement credentials you need to remember that the issues are ultimately decided in court not on "appearence" but findings of fact. People respect and look up to you Duckman, you do not need to be picking this apart till there is nothing left. Please take this the way it is intended.

There are some serious issues here. No less than two of the persons I have described this incident to replied back to me that stories like this one is why they obtained a concealed carry permit. Do not think the unthinkable can't happen. You know better. It is closer than anyone wants to admit.
    duckman, you are splitting hairs here for no apparent reason. If you want to get literal then the issue was not simply that they "gained access" or in a "non-approved manner" They ILLEGALLY gained access and ILLEGALLY occupied a piece of land both of which are expressly prohibited. marked (fence) and posted. I am informed by Park service that there is a $140.00 fine per person for these violations. If you want to lay in your law enforcement credentials you need to remember that the issues are ultimately decided in court not on "appearence" but findings of fact. People respect and look up to you Duckman, you do not need to be picking this apart till there is nothing left. Please take this the way it is intended.

There are some serious issues here. No less than two of the persons I have described this incident to replied back to me that stories like this one is why they obtained a concealed carry permit. Do not think the unthinkable can't happen. You know better. It is closer than anyone wants to admit.

Why do you hate your car tires so much?
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    It seems to be determined that the area in question is fenced off because of...erosion?

So with all of the tidal flow around that point, prohibiting fishermen from walking there is going to help. :cookoo

I'm a fairly law and order kinda guy but there's and old saying that you know a stupid law when good people don't obey it. These are obviously not good people we are talking about, but apparently there is no good reason to prevent people from fishing there, so this is the reason for which you take it upon yourself to chastise an adult(s) strangers?

There has to be a point where every little infraction committed by others is not challenged by strangers with no authority to do anything about it. And I'm still convinced, based upon the retribution doled out, that the initial exchange did not go down exactly as shared in the O P.

I agree with everything you said.
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Mmikita,
    Just mind your own business and continue on. Did you really expect anything positive to come out of it?

There is *NO* hair splitting...It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to fish from the western point of Coconut point. In point of fact...you are Mis-stating the facts of "this case" While if they did in fact access thru the area that is posted as closed...that was an illegal act. You have provided no proof nor testimony to that.
    The fact they were staked out on the point was NOT illegal...there are no if's ands or buts on that. And as you are eluding to, in a court of law...the burden of proof is and will be on the state to PROVE that they in fact accessed the area in a non approved (illegal) manner. Do you have any evidence of this to bring forward? Surely you know that being in a *legal* location with no proof of how access was gained in no way is prima facia evidence of any wrongdoing.

As far as someone getting a CCP for situations such as this... what would a firearm add to this crap sandwich? A shoot out over slashed tires? Prison time in someones future if they are thinking that way....and there is no fishing in prison.

I get it...You got your vehicle vandalized...and are venting.....Go back to post #5...keep reading that till is seems natural, correct, and you can accept that.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • straycatstraycat Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Sticky Thread Sticky: Please use this section for FISHING REPORTS only!