Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Offshore 10-10

I'll be posting pics from my phone so they might come out sideways. Just tilt your head a bit. Ran out this morning and it was flat calm. We ran across this big floating cooler/box not really sure what it was but it had about 50 baby almaco jacks on it. The bottom was 'fuzzy' so we dropped and picked up a porgy and several RGs one keeper size. We released lots of keeper RGs today.

We got to our spot anchored up and started chumming and picked up several nice yellowtail. Threw back a bunch of yellowtail in the 12.5" range. We just kept the bigger ones. Then we noticed African pompano in our chum slick. We were only in 55'. We ended up catching about half dozen of them but only one was big enough to keep. They are a blast on light tackle. Went to another spot and caught several big lanes and tossed back several keeper sized RGs.

Replies

• Doc1Doc1 Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Those pompano made some fast long runs, a real blast. Gotta do it again sometime.
  • cjlukenscjlukens Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Doc,
    Any luck finding the Gags? Heading down in a few weeks and was planning on rg but that is out. I have never had any luck getting into Gags out of Marco. Planning on running SW 25-35 miles and looking for ledges or higher relief structure. Ever tried trolling for Gags to find them? Thanks.
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    Never caught an African pomp, good stuff. Red grouper closing is a real bummer. Another case of our govt is smarter than us I guess. Great report, thanks for sharing

Fishing the Everglades hopefishing.com
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
  • Doc1Doc1 Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    We have caught some gags in the 25- 30 mile range in the colder months of the year. Last year we did pretty well on them in January, but most of the them they are farther off shore. Never trolled for them, just livies and jigs.
  • cjlukenscjlukens Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Thanks Doc. I did really well on red grouper last weekend just 5 miles out of Marco in 40 feet. First two drops two 24". Still cannot find the Gags. Hoping once the new Rooney reef gets some life it will hold Gags as it is 30 miles out and 80 feet of water. I would run up to 40 miles to find them but just don't know where to start. All my numbers are 5-30 miles and I have only caught one Gag. Let me know if you find any.

Tuna bite out of Marco has been insane. I saw a huge school of footballs just 8 miles off Marco but had no gear to chase them. Someone caught a 150lb tuna just off Marco.
  • tg.tg. Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Trolled last week for gags and caught nothing but big reds. About 25 miles out. I also looked at the Rooney about a month ago. Lots of small fish, nothing big.