Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Do Mullet Boats Even HAVE Navigation Lights?

BruteBrute Posts: 164 Officer
I camp at Cayo Costa often, and night fish a lot elsewhere, and I've seen a lot of mullet boats passing in the dark.
Not one of them has ever been displaying red/green bow lights or a white stern light as they zoom by.
Not one!
Are they exempt, or something?

Replies

• DrKDrK Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Poachers most probably.
  • Marlinman814Marlinman814 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Probably doing somthing they shouldn't be. No reason to run blacked out unless you're up to no good.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,860 AG
    Run blacked out so not to spook fish. not saying that's their reason but it's the old way, No spotlights, no cigarette glow above the gunnels. Some of the oldtimers here talk about when the locomotive was turned around in Cedar Key, the light shining across the waters would spook mullet all the way to Mangrove Pt. in Citrus Co.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,910 Captain
    Probably doing somthing they shouldn't be. No reason to run blacked out unless you're up to no good.

This... :Agree
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,022 Admiral
    No, they are breaking the law, it's what they do. A bow light or stern light will not spook fish, that is rediculous.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    surfman wrote: »
    No, they are breaking the law, it's what they do. A bow light or stern light will not spook fish, that is rediculous.
    You know nothing, you can't spell, and your signature is spot on... And we all know what opinions are like...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • slapshotslapshot Posts: 172 Officer
    Yes, they are required to use nav lights like every other boater. That is great probable cause to stop them when law enforcement sees them. However, with budget cuts hitting hard statewide, marine law enforcement is getting cut back further every year.
    I am not perfect and never claimed I was but, I speak the truth.
    Tight Lines, Steve

I am not perfect and never claimed I was but, I speak the truth.
    And you still know nothing about mullet and lights, not saying those folks aren't poaching but there is a reason for no lights in relation to catching mullet and it goes back decades. 40 years ago holding your cigarette above the gunnel got your head cuffed and most likely fired. The old timers in Crystal River said that the light from the train turning around in Cedar Key at night would spook mullet all the way to Hommosassa. But hey, you gots all the answers... but I know you don't speak the truth!
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,408 AG
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    And you still know nothing about mullet and lights, not saying those folks aren't poaching but there is a reason for no lights in relation to catching mullet and it goes back decades. 40 years ago holding your cigarette above the gunnel got your head cuffed and most likely fired. The old timers in Crystal River said that the light from the train turning around in Cedar Key at night would spook mullet all the way to Hommosassa. But hey, you gots all the answers... but I know you don't speak the truth!
    :rotflmao
    Maybe they were stretching the truth a bit? :grin

What is it, 35-40 miles as the crow flies between Cedar Key and Homassaso? :rotflmao

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • slapshot wrote: »
    However, with budget cuts hitting hard statewide, marine law enforcement is getting cut back further every year.

Quit urinating and moaning and do the job you are paid very little to do more resourcefuly and effectively like the rest of us. You may want to spend those few remaining resources chasing bad guys like the blacked out poachers than checking pontoon boats full of retirees for expired flares on Sunday afternoons.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Mango Man wrote: »
    :rotflmao
    Maybe they were stretching the truth a bit? :grin

What is it, 35-40 miles as the crow flies between Cedar Key and Homassaso? :rotflmao
    25 tops to Tank Island west of the mouth of the Homosassa River.
    I saw a shooting star last night; I bet the ocean must have erupted in foam.
    Tight Lines, Steve

I saw a shooting star last night; I bet the ocean must have erupted in foam.
    Only if you were paddling around...