Home Fly Fishing

Sanibel 10-08-2015

TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
Blind Pass was a very nice place to be, especially this time of year because the crowds are way down and the risk of catching a "sheller" are greatly diminished. I started off with a nice snook 15 minutes after I arrived and proceeded to get a mixed bag of fish.

This small Jack was next on the agenda.

Next up were a bunch of Trout, found me a nice Honey Hole.

After my Trout I was able to hook and get one great jump out of a Snook that just tossed the fly, The fish had to be an easy 30 inches or better, It was fun while it lasted for the 5 seconds.

The Lady Fish were also around, I hate them because they just trash you leader and fly. When they get to be over 20 inches and put you into your backing I will tolerate that.

Later in the morning I was able to pick up my second Snook of the day.

Soon after I caught my second Snook as I was getting ready to leave the water erupted with a huge blitz of Snook . These two pictures show the swarm of bait and the breaking fish. You can see my line going down into the frenzy because I have a fish on and decided to get a shot of the blitz before it ended. After the picture I proceeded to land my best Snook of the day.

By the time I was able to land this fish it was all over but it was a great way to end the day

Replies

• SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 730 Officer
    Very nice, I caught my first Sanibel Snook twenty yards left of that very spot September 2014. Although the water was nowhere as clean as that, strong winds most of the week. Also caught fish, including a Tarpon in Ding Darling. Looks like a fun trip. When I found the Snook busting like that, it was on the other side by the rocks, and had no rods with me :banghead
  • FlyingTFlyingT Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Great job Tgrass! BTW, what brand/where did you purchase your stripping basket?
    Thx....B
  • Black ClouserBlack Clouser Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Nice smorgasbord of fish ****.....glad to see your tearing them up down here too:)
    BC
  • cseng123cseng123 Posts: 368 Deckhand
    SUPER D wrote: »
    Very nice, I caught my first Sanibel Snook twenty yards left of that very spot September 2014. Although the water was nowhere as clean as that, strong winds most of the week. Also caught fish, including a Tarpon in Ding Darling. Looks like a fun trip. When I found the Snook busting like that, it was on the other side by the rocks, and had no rods with me :banghead

My buddy and I were there on Thursday and saw almost exactly what you speak of. Couldn't get a take on our artificials, so were going to try again this week. Debating whether to use a pinfish/grunt type of larger bait or smaller pilchard bait. Any thoughts?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    very nice...that's a great day
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    The striping basket is the Orvis basket. Ther seems to be a mixed bag of bait but I think I would go with Green Backs if I fished bait.