I could say that is the percentage I am sure I will not beat last years score....
But will be happy to eclipse 100.....that is still a decent year.
Today, after a very long semi-self imposed drought on slams... put #99 on the deck.
So, I had a marginal early duck season due to all the rains....and then, after not using the skiff all that time...when I do try and go...find I have a ton of water in the fuel! 20 year old tank has a leak in the top it would seem. Boat to the shop for a fuel system purge....and all the other maintenance it was long past due on.....Won't even put the dollar number here because it makes me a little woosy thinking about it... :grin The price of fun...is up! Also had the prop redone while it was down.
The timing was bad because we were right in the run....5 days lost on top of my duck season break.
When I get back to fishing...it is on...but it is a Snook and Red deal with some Tarpon thrown in...To say it was "epic" does not really do it justice....forget about counting fish when it is this crazy. I had great days (2) with my son and took a young friend out for a big day too. I'm using bait and by the time the best part of the tide quits or I'm out of bait...I'm kinda done so I didn't go look in the high and junky water for a trout.
Yesterday, I bump into Palm beach Pete...and he says trout are firing off too...so today I decide I have hours till the tide gets right...I'll go get a Trout...well...an hour and a half to get one little booger eater trout! Off to get the rest as the tide is getting right.
It starts slow but after a few moves it gets cranking about 9...and by 11:30 I have burned thru over 50 baits. I only caught 2 Reds but the one was so fat ...I couldn't get him to stay on the blue water board...kept rolling off the side.

20151007_101447_zpslpnpcdpl.jpg

I did have the super slam hooked up...but it got loose on the 5th jump...but was fun while it lasted.
The snook numbers....If I told you...You wouldn't believe me anyway!....Only one that needed measuring at 27 1/4...and most just 18-23 inchers with a few 24-26's...
I should take a picture of my hands...they actually hurt from the past 8 days of fishing...a crazy number of fish in my hands and now they are all cut to heck...

I hope the trout are easier for me tomorrow.....
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,424 AG
    The fish are going to put a bounty on you eventually:thumbsup
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • QuiksilverIHBQuiksilverIHB Posts: 467 Officer
    As Jay-Z would say, I got 99 problems, but an inshore slam ain't one.

High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Joe I am glad that you found your trout. :)
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,874 AG
    And....100... Pressure is off. It is a triple digit year. :)

I hit the ramp just before 7....Had bait by 7:30....and had 3 trout on plastic by 8. Never did get that epic bite Palm Beach Pete is on...but was happy to get a few decent size trout in the high junk water. That was the good part. Tide was hours from being right for my spots. I killed a few baits messing around and pulled a couple small snook and a jack. Could not go north because of weather (rain) Finally, about 10 AM had good moving water and put some fish on the boat. I caught 2 Reds

20151008_090505_zpsfsneoqy1.jpg

and unfortunately today, the biggest Red got me wrapped up in the 'groves....I could see him...but by the time I got there...he shook free. :cry
    The Tarpon also easily won our bout....one jump and that was it.
    I caught...? 18 Snook.... kinda lost count...smaller fish today with the best only 25 inches and most under 21.... They seem to be way up under the mangroves because I can hear them pounding the bait...but won't come out from under to play. I think when the water drops it will be better.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 166 Deckhand
    Hello Joe , I take that red. Those boat bills suck. I had few big ones myself over the years. Hope you get good weather down there, the forecast looks descent . I`am coming down late in the day Oct 23, for two weeks I`am really looking forward to it. I have to get out on a boat fishing. Do you think palm beach Pete would take me out on his board. LOL My friend coming down with me for the first 4 days. Since he staying at my place he charted a boat for an evening trip.on the 26 ,that was nice of him.. I will have plenty of time to fish on this trip. If you know of anyone who would take me fishing let me know...:fishing
    Hey Frank...Yeah, I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw the bill....:puke :grin

Call me when you get in town...not sure If I'll be here...my MI duck trip is still fluid....but I may be home.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Ok, So today was kinda funny. I stop at Cumberland farms for gas and coffee...and Capt Ryan (Final point) is there also. He asks "what do you think"....He has a charter but we both know the weather is poor...at best. I say " I have to drink this coffee somewhere"... and we head to the ramp. The ramps a washing machine and Ryan stays on the trailer...I launch. My boat is bouncing around like crazy while I ditch the truck and walk over to Native Tackle. So, it is not long before Ryan and his two fares ( a forum member here and his son ) and another local Captain ( Eric Olson ...Skipper charters) ...and his brother. Then, Two brothers that I used to fish against in tournaments. So, here we are waiting for the weather to break. I should have taken a picture of all the boats in the que...and since I am already launched...I said " Well, I'm going.... see you salty little girls later " :grin I guess while I'm heading out Ryan and his guys launch.

So,...the fishing. I run to the east side and with one throw I have the well loaded...overloaded maybe... I'm off to my first spot. Wind up with a small snook...then a better one....

20151009_104742_zpsp9mgkwej.jpg

then...a nice Red.....then another.

20151009_085127_zpshmghw1nh.jpg

20151009_103748_zpstyg6ojuz.jpg

OK, with the late start I leave to go find a trout....fish thru a good spot with mullet and just a catfish...change to a CAL and third throw...

20151009_100608_zpsp7ld5wun.jpg

Just after 10 and that's #101... Start to run south but I see rain...so I go to an alternate spot....and pull another Red and a snook and jump off another snook. It is now almost 11..have to head to my spots while the falling tide starts rolling out.

Well, did well with 15 more snook that were mostly 20-23 inches and 1 more Red

20151009_130507_zps27rksxep.jpg

..and a mangrove snapper.

The down side.... I hung the jig in some mangroves....and gave it a mighty yank to remove it....the jig came back ( fast ) and as bad luck would have it...It hits my Calico Jack hard.... and what I thought was a million to one shot when the same thing happened to my St Croix rod a few years back....was not a once in a lifetime thing...next cast....SNAP! Broke in half. :cry

The water is still crazy high...and dirty....It takes some looking but the fish are still there.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Final PointFinal Point Posts: 459 Deckhand
    It was rainy to the south but we got our slam as well....along with 2 bonus flounder. That wind was bi-polar yesterday.
    Final Point Charters
    Specializing in Offshore/Nearshore/Backcountry trips in the Lower Keys
    Come fish the World Famous Lower Keys and see what all the hype is about!
    Check out our website for rates and booking information.
    772-584-1239
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]