Home General Paddle Craft

This upsets me

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
It upsets me greatly to read this story:
http://m.local10.com/news/missing-kayaker-in-biscayne-bay-found-dead/35654362
MIAMI -A man who separated from his kayak after it began taking on water in Biscayne Bay has been found dead.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Monday that the kayaker's body has been found.

Authorities said the man in his 30s was kayaking with a friend when they began having issues with the kayak about 5:30 p.m. Sunday.

The men were able to hold onto the kayak as they tried to flag down help. When no one saw them as night fell, they began to try to swim to a nearby island. During that time, one of the men disappeared.

The kayaker, who has not been identified, was not wearing a life jacket and does not know how to swim.

"His friend struggled to stay above the water," Miami Department of Fire-Rescue Capt. Ignatius Carroll said. "As a result, he started taking off several of his clothing items just so he could survive. He was able to find an island and started swimming toward that island, at which point he turned back and saw that his friend was nowhere in sight."

Just how in god's name do you go into a kayak without knowing how to swim or wear a PFD? The latter is required by law as well! Biscayne Bay is my playground when it's too rough offshore; so to see someone lose their life when it could have been 100% preventable makes me very sad.
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I have sure enjoyed playing in Biscayne Bay!! I am grateful for parents who taught me to swim. Sorry that this kayak accident resulted in tragedy. Those little boats do have some danger!!! I just bought one a few months ago and have limited my trips to fresh water not far from shore trips so far.
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    Holy shoot!!! Yesterday I was at Monty's in the grove and 2 guys came to the dock in kayaks. They got beer pitchers at the bar and filled water bottles with the beer. They said they were gonna paddle to the Mashta Point sand bar on Key Biscayne. I told him he was crazy since there was a 15 kt wind. OMG I think I talked to those guys...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    Holy shoot!!! Yesterday I was at Monty's in the grove and 2 guys came to the dock in kayaks. They got beer pitchers at the bar and filled water bottles with the beer. They said they were gonna paddle to the Mashta Point sand bar on Key Biscayne. I told him he was crazy since there was a 15 kt wind. OMG I think I talked to those guys...
    So now we can surmise alcohol as well as ignorance had something to do with the chain of events.
    :banghead Like I said: 100% preventable.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,918 Captain
    Shameful tragedy....sounds like their was a major lack of common sense.
  • lucluc Posts: 245 Officer
    Wow, if thats them thats too bad. Rest in Peace. 9 feet or 90 feet, the ocean is unforgiving. I won't be victim blaming but something like this needs to make some preventable awareness for others close to home.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,359 Officer
    Man I hate t o hear that news. Prayers sent for the family.
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 197 Deckhand
    Just a thought, but maybe we should have a gentleman's agreement if your going to post a picture in the "Catches" sections, you have to wear a life jacket in the photograph. We as a group can set a positive example for anyone viewing the forum.
    I am a great swimmer, but personally wear one 100% of the time. You never know what is going to happen offshore.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
    Whelan wrote: »
    Just a thought, but maybe we should have a gentleman's agreement if your going to post a picture in the "Catches" sections, you have to wear a life jacket in the photograph. We as a group can set a positive example for anyone viewing the forum.
    I am a great swimmer, but personally wear one 100% of the time. You never know what is going to happen offshore.
    That's easy for me because the only time I take mine off is at the beach. Now did you mean to leave it on while on the water or in ALL pictures?
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    The law needs to be a little more strict on wearing a PFD, IMO. It should be mandatory to be worn at all times offshore. They have to be worn on personal watercrafts, skiing or tubing, but not offshore on a kayak that is susceptible to so many hazards out there? I just started kayak fishing this year and was a little surprised it wasn't a requirement to wear one, only had to be with you. I mean at least it will somewhat keep your kayak afloat as you drift away from it. I haven't gone offshore yet but you can bet I would have one on when I do. I've been a lifeguard for 10+ years. It doesn't matter if you can swim or not. You can't swim if you're knocked out or have a medical issue.

But I'm also well aware that just because if it was a law to wear it at all times, that doesn't mean everyone will. Unfortunately there will always be poor decision making out there, and people that think they are invincible. Everyone just be safe!
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    The news coverage has that the body was found near Broad causeway and that the guys launched off NE 115th St. Do you guys know how deep is Biscayne Bay gets in that area?
    I haven't been there, but looking at it on Google Earth it seems to me to be the around the same depth as a few miles south where Morningside park is: average 10-15 ft, shallower near islands/flats, deeper in the channel :shrug
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,549 Captain
    There are some very stupid people in the world and sadly it's confirmed almost daily.