SLI 9/28 Slammer Fin's

Today I was fishing with one of my Coworkers Jonathan Rissman from St Augustine. Jonathan has never caught a Mahi and doesn't get a chance to fish much (pretty green to say the least). We started off looking for Mullet and first throw of the net we pulled in a 2' shark. :willy-nilly Thank god net didn't get destroyed. From there two more throws and I loaded up on perfect size mullet. Heading out you at the break of dawn there was an out going tide and big swells. No problem getting out of the inlet. We ran straight out and came across a small patch of weeds in 1200' and caught one fin instantly on a live mullet. We stayed around the weed patch for another 30 minutes with no luck. So we headed east in search of a rip or weeds and came across a cooler lid. It didn't look like anything was on it, so we threw a weighted mullet under it and counted to 10. Both of us came tight on fins and got them in the boat. We also caught one triple tail on a live mullet. The bite went dead so we started heading East in search of a rip or weeds. At 1650' we came across a rip with weeds and a temp break. I put out the minnkota trolling motor down and we started slow trolling live mullet. We had two on the surface and one down deep . In short order we had three on and three into the boat. At the end of the day we caught 19-20 fin's, two of them were slammers and one triple tail. We kept 8 for dinner, all of them were keepers. Most of them in the 5-8LB range. When I plugged in the inlet to head in we were 27.2 miles out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Good job Mike.

Way to put Jonathan on some fish.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Mike ButcherMike Butcher Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Good job Mike.

Way to put Jonathan on some fish.

Cheers

Thanks. There is nothing better than taking someone fishing and having a good day on the water.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • foodfightfoodfight Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Sweet! There still out there.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,383 Captain
    Way to go brotha!
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Well done! Not common for a first timer to get target species on a glass calm day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • SpinHookSpinHook Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Awesome, nice catch!!!
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,348 Admiral
    very nice!
  • captaintjcaptaintj Posts: 443 Deckhand
    sweet
    IoT-All thing connected
    GPS Tracking Solutions
    Affordable Fishing Panama, Panama
  • sandwashsluggersandwashslugger Posts: 235 Deckhand
    What kinda rig do you use to get the baits down?
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,040 Captain
    Way to beat the bad seas and score some fish.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
    Well done! Not common for a first timer to get target species on a glass calm day!

It's always never racking taking a coworker out and hoping to put them on fish. Thank god there was 11 second intervals and we were able to cruise with feet up on the dash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What kinda rig do you use to get the baits down?
    I tied my main line to a barrel swivel and then tie a 12" piece of mono or fluoro, slide on an egg sinker (I use 1 1/2 ounce), tie that to another barrel swivel and then I tie a 30" leader to a snelled circle hook. I've used this same rig fishing for Snook at the inlet. I feel the egg sinker between the two barrel swivels allows the bait to sink at the same rate of the egg sinker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's always never racking taking a coworker out and hoping to put them on fish. Thank god there was 11 second intervals and we were able to cruise with feet up on the dash.

Nerve racking :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]