Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Guana Report?

Does anyone have a Guana report? With the water temp cooling down thought it might be getting better.

Replies

• Ladder ManLadder Man Senior Member Posts: 1,198 Officer
    I haven't heard anything, but am also interested to see if the flatties have arrived there yet.
  • flattieflattie Senior Member Posts: 275 Deckhand
  • Orr WhatOrr What Member Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    stopped by the dam Friday, water was running but only a few rat reds caught
  • ethan391ethan391 Member Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Ladder Man wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything, but am also interested to see if the flatties have arrived there yet.

Are you talking about south of the dam? I didnt know any were north
    Mama tried

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spyderman2015spyderman2015 Member MandarinPosts: 80 Deckhand
    Fished there last week and got the first black drum. Havent seen any flounder but I always target them in the corners of the dam which is pretty impossible now. I have caught my biggest flatties there.
    Grippin-N-Rippin :fishing
  • Mogan Man 2Mogan Man 2 Member Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Went out this afternoon for only a couple hours. Launched at 6 mile and headed South a couple miles. Finger mullet everywhere, getting crashed by reds or trout. Tried top water and soft plastics all around the crashes, no dice. Changed to cut mullet and then bam, caught a very nice 24" red.
  • s08367492s08367492 Junior Member Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Went out this afternoon for only a couple hours. Launched at 6 mile and headed South a couple miles. Finger mullet everywhere, getting crashed by reds or trout. Tried top water and soft plastics all around the crashes, no dice. Changed to cut mullet and then bam, caught a very nice 24" red.

fished the dam Saturday and managed 2 nice 18" flounder and a fat 21" red, I also missed a nice trout on a topwater first thing, the fishing is nowhere near what it was 2 weeks ago but its still pretty hot, several other flounder and reds were caught including a 42" red.
  • Mogan Man 2Mogan Man 2 Member Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    s08367492 wrote: »
    fished the dam Saturday and managed 2 nice 18" flounder and a fat 21" red, I also missed a nice trout on a topwater first thing, the fishing is nowhere near what it was 2 weeks ago but its still pretty hot, several other flounder and reds were caught including a 42" red.
    What were the Reds and Flounder caught on? Cut bait?
  • navigator2navigator2 Senior Member Posts: 22,521 AG
    Sucks that the old Pine Island Fish Camp closed down years ago. Used to be an easy launch to fish either Pine Island or Guana and a short ride to either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • s08367492s08367492 Junior Member Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    What were the Reds and Flounder caught on? Cut bait?

the flounder were on a slip float and the red was on a mullet on a Carolina rig
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Senior Member Posts: 1,363 Officer
    If you want to catch fish at the dam there are tons of small croakers.....that the target species. Everyone uses a walmart double dropper rig with red beads, and a six ounce triangle weight. Bait it with the nastiest shrimp you can find. Stand on one side of the dam and heave the rig towards the other. If you snag someone's line you just locked into a bonus death match and a chance to defend your "side's pride". You must have tackle strong enough to win the tug-o-war, a walmart combo with 30lb test is the standard, so beef up because if you loose you will bring dishonor to your crew. Shouting and yelling helps especially in a foreign language.

Lastly if you do catch a trophy croaker standard practice is to leave it on the ground, or put it in a plastic bag....ice is frowned upon as it is an added cost, and if you are trying to sell to your uncles Chinese buffet you have to have a very low cost product, because even though mr chin is your uncle he will drop you in a heartbeat for cheaper sushi grade croaker.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • hmmngwyhmmngwy Senior Member Posts: 160 Deckhand
    If you want to catch fish at the dam there are tons of small croakers.....that the target species. Everyone uses a walmart double dropper rig with red beads, and a six ounce triangle weight. Bait it with the nastiest shrimp you can find. Stand on one side of the dam and heave the rig towards the other. If you snag someone's line you just locked into a bonus death match and a chance to defend your "side's pride". You must have tackle strong enough to win the tug-o-war, a walmart combo with 30lb test is the standard, so beef up because if you loose you will bring dishonor to your crew. Shouting and yelling helps especially in a foreign language.

Lastly if you do catch a trophy croaker standard practice is to leave it on the ground, or put it in a plastic bag....ice is frowned upon as it is an added cost, and if you are trying to sell to your uncles Chinese buffet you have to have a very low cost product, because even though mr chin is your uncle he will drop you in a heartbeat for cheaper sushi grade croaker.

:rotflmao
  • OnTop~170OnTop~170 Senior Member isle palmsPosts: 509 Officer
    Now that was on point. Ohhh u cross my line...
  • Slug-OSlug-O Senior Member NocateePosts: 3,017 Captain

This is the best post in years I have read...
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Senior Member Posts: 1,241 Officer
    The only time I fish the dam anymore is when I want a good laugh. Nothing funnier then watching two grown adults arguing over a fish while it's hanging in mid air because both of them think they caught that fish. Each one tugs on the line like there in a tug of war contest and the winner keeps the fish. And then they get in a yelling match Hey let so slack that's my fish. No you let slack cause that fish is on my hook back and forth back and fort while slot red is hanging in med air. Funny **** I tell ya.
  • arunramarunram Senior Member Posts: 1,628 Captain

lmao!!
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Senior Member Posts: 1,363 Officer
    I'm thinking Morocco needs to get reel time's Jeff Weekly, Bill Dance, or Henry W from fishing the flats down there to do a dam wars episode. Could you imagine Bill Dance down there, the potential bloopers from that place....talk about good tv!
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • CWardenCWarden Junior Member Jacksonville, FlPosts: 21 Greenhorn
    I went today, went all the way to the lookout tower (put in at the dam). Caught 2 hoss croakers, 2 rays, and a rat red. I was using live mullet, shrimp, and cut ladyfish. Went from 1pm till dark, was a grueling day, but was a great day on the water.
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast Senior Member JaxPosts: 1,437 Officer

hahaha this is gold!
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Senior Member Posts: 1,198 Officer
    I'm thinking Morocco needs to get reel time's Jeff Weekly, Bill Dance, or Henry W from fishing the flats down there to do a dam wars episode. Could you imagine Bill Dance down there, the potential bloopers from that place....talk about good tv!

Dam Wars... Epic!!!
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Senior Member Posts: 2,974 Captain
    CWarden wrote: »
    I went today, went all the way to the lookout tower (put in at the dam). Caught 2 hoss croakers, 2 rays, and a rat red. I was using live mullet, shrimp, and cut ladyfish. Went from 1pm till dark, was a grueling day, but was a great day on the water.

Lol, no way in hell.... Hate that place. Back in the day though, Guana dam was an epic place to fish. That is until the day the toll booths shut down at all the major bridges.....
  • dixiedaddixiedad Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 431 Deckhand
    Lol, no way in hell.... Hate that place. Back in the day though, Guana dam was an epic place to fish. That is until the day the toll booths shut down at all the major bridges.....

Do you remember there was a toll booth on JTB back in the old days ?