Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Snook help!! How heavy a leader?

Any suggestions on leader material and weight for a good Ozello.

Replies

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    dangskiffy wrote: »
    Any suggestions on leader material and weight for a good Ozello.

Ted will tell you around 50 pounds for conventional tackle but keep in mind anything over 30 pounds is difficult to tie a good knot. I assume you are talking fly fishing since you said weight? If so anything under seven weight you are under armed and nine weight isn't too big. We have some decent snook presently and they have sharp gill plates.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    Billy wrote: »
    Ted will tell you around 50 pounds for conventional tackle but keep in mind anything over 30 pounds is difficult to tie a good knot

I use a Rapala loop knot on my 50 and 60 pound leaders without a problem. Clinch knots are okay also but remember to reduce the number of turns you make as your leader size goes up. I also don't like using a uni knot when tying heavier leaders to lighter braid, use an improved albright or if you're seriously doing battle, double the braid with a bimini twist before tying.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 936 Officer
    Look up the FG knot for braid to mono. I haven't tried it, but looks pretty good. It's really personal preference on the leader, but HHTeds success has proved that they don't mind the heavy leader.
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I use a Rapala loop knot on my 50 and 60 pound leaders without a problem. Clinch knots are okay also but remember to reduce the number of turns you make as your leader size goes up. I also don't like using a uni knot when tying heavier leaders to lighter braid, use an improved albright or if you're seriously doing battle, double the braid with a bimini twist before tying.

Took the words out of my mouth. An Albright for line to line, loop knot, and a max of four wraps for clinch knots. This is for 50 lb leader.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Some of these suggestions are probably better than what I do, but I prefer to keep it to a knot I know well and have confidence in. I use 40# flouro and all Uni knots. I have had trouble with knots with 50#, but not 40#. Make sure you wet your knots with spit to lubricate them before you cinch them down. Going from 15# braid to 40# leader I use 7 turns on the braid and 4 on the leader. Personal preference is that I don't like loop knots since I feel the line gets hooked on the front treble hook more often. Check leader closely after every fish.
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    Some of these suggestions are probably better than what I do, but I prefer to keep it to a knot I know well and have confidence in. I use 40# flouro and all Uni knots. I have had trouble with knots with 50#, but not 40#. Make sure you wet your knots with spit to lubricate them before you cinch them down. Going from 15# braid to 40# leader I use 7 turns on the braid and 4 on the leader. Personal preference is that I don't like loop knots since I feel the line gets hooked on the front treble hook more often. Check leader closely after every fish.

I find the Albright easier, but it's just what I've always done.
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,726 Captain
    There is always the option of know leader and only 12b mono with a good drag system...:) Worked for this one...Just poking fun guys <
    <<<

https://vimeo.com/135929885

[video=vimeo;135929885]
  • dangskiffydangskiffy Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Glenn wrote: »
    There is always the option of know leader and only 12b mono with a good drag system...:) Worked for this one...Just poking fun guys <
    <<<

https://vimeo.com/135929885

[video=vimeo;135929885]

Leaning more to the light side. Probably 40lb max. It would seem as heavy as 50lb flouro or mono would be a short piece of single strand wire would work.
    Thanks for the help guys. I have several options to try now. Sure am glad the wife helps tie leaders. We were fishing close to the mangroves and I want a chance at pulling them free.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Depends on what bait you are using. A wire would reduce the movement of most any bait, especially hard baits and also would be very visible compared to flouro. Snook hit often as a reaction and wouldn't notice wire, but sometimes they follow the bait and they have very good eyes. You don't need wire. If you're unlucky they could cut most any leader with their gill plates, but the bigger the better here. The larger issue with light leader is the very abrasive mouth. If your lure is outside the mouth, like they are most of the time there is no problem, but if the lure is inside the mouth and it's a big fish, you have a slim chance of catching it with a light leader.
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Try the Red Phillips knot, 30 lb should do it, 40 lb if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
    Red Phillips knot found on Google. Easy search takes you to you tube with a very good video. I will definitely use this.