High tide fishing 9/26

I had a feeling it would be a tough day with high water, but thought a north wind would help keep the water out but it didn't and there wasn't a whole lot of wind once I got there. I got a late start since there was a strong low in the morning but by the time I'd arrived the tide was already pretty high. I decided to fish creeks and devoted a lot of time to spots that just didn't produce much other than a monster sail cat and by the time I'd changed my strategy the water was mega high, more flooded grass than I think I've ever seen out there. There were also more boats than I'd ever seen at Horseshoe. Lots of guides out fishing too. Just about every point near Horseshoe had a boat on it. I started working the grass lines and following schools of big finger mullet that were running from their own shadows. I caught a big jack on topwater before the dolphins ran the bait off. As the tide started to go out I decided to make a move back to the creek I was in previously and it didn't produce. I decided to go home but made one last stop and produced the only two reds of the day, a pair of cookie cutter 19 inch reds that I put back to grow a little bigger. Those two fish gave me hope that the bite was turning on. A black drum stole my blue crab and I didn't even notice. After that the bite shut down again and I decided to go home and catch the last half of the gator game. I've had worse days but it was real slow. I was just in the wrong spots I believe, since Kimber got a 3 man limit of reds and then some. I might have had better luck if I'd stuck around longer into the outgoing but thems the breaks! Next time I'll work the grass island and outside bars harder. I think that might be the ticket to high tide fishing. Wish I could figure out how to fish those super strong high tides but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Weedless jerk baits in the grass..
    Think bass fishing when the grass is flooded
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    I tried it but the fish weren't there. I'd have seen them tailing if they were. Caught and lost a really tiny trout way back in a side creek but that was all the grassy areas produced.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,474 AG
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I tried it but the fish weren't there. I'd have seen them tailing if they were. Caught and lost a really tiny trout way back in a side creek but that was all the grassy areas produced.

My brother smoked them this weekend. 22 slots in two days with his girlfriend. Sent me pics but I'd rather not post. :grin
    Lessons have been learned on this forum. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    My brother smoked them this weekend. 22 slots in two days with his girlfriend. Sent me pics but I'd rather not post. :grin
    Lessons have been learned on this forum. :)

Nice. Seemed like a hot weekend for a lot of people.. cept me, LOL.
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Yep, cept you. lol Sorry had too.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,160 Moderator
    Mini bash was fun ..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,729 Captain
    Having a plan didn't work out this time but it will in the long run. I usually rely on my fishing logs to determine where the fish are most likely to be based on current water temperature, tide, wind direction etc. The best part of most fishing trips is the anticipation before you go. I still have trouble sleeping the night before and I'm an old man. You didn't get skunked and could have brought home dinner. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    capt louie wrote: »
    Mini bash was fun ..

Would have liked to have gone but needed some water time in a big way, and wanted to catch the gator game.
    Having a plan didn't work out this time but it will in the long run. I usually rely on my fishing logs to determine where the fish are most likely to be based on current water temperature, tide, wind direction etc. The best part of most fishing trips is the anticipation before you go. I still have trouble sleeping the night before and I'm an old man. You didn't get skunked and could have brought home dinner. :thumbsup

The fact that all the guides were posted up on every outside point should have given me a good indication of where to be but I was stubborn and hoping for a creek bite like the last time I was there on a low tide. Should have done more running and looking and probably missed my tidal window. I was hoping to find tailers in the grass. I also should have shown up early at the bottom of the low tide but coffee and Facebook derailed that idea.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,474 AG
    Jim311 wrote: »
    The fact that all the guides were posted up on every outside point should have given me a good indication of where to be but I was stubborn and hoping for a creek bite like the last time I was there on a low tide. Should have done more running and looking and probably missed my tidal window. I was hoping to find tailers in the grass. I also should have shown up early at the bottom of the low tide but coffee and Facebook derailed that idea.

Very odd. I was told the flood began about 3 hours earlier than posted by charts and lasted a good 4 hours on Saturday through 2 pm. Carnage!

May have something to do with the crazy moon this past weekend and the eclipse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,041 Captain
    So, did you have fun? We had a blast at the bash. LOL, just had to say it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Very odd. I was told the flood began about 3 hours earlier than posted by charts and lasted a good 4 hours on Saturday through 2 pm. Carnage!

May have something to do with the crazy moon this past weekend and the eclipse.

It was supposed to be a moderate low tide at around 7. There was a light north wind so I figured the late start wouldn't hurt me too much but I didn't show up until close to 11 I guess? By then there was already a lot of water in the creeks and it continued to pour in until I'd guess 2 or so, yeah. The amount of water ripping into the creek was absurd. I fished through the slack tide and into the beginning of the outgoing before I took off. It seemed like things were starting to pick up when I left.
  • dangskiffydangskiffy Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Ozello boat ramp at 3:15pm Sunday. A day of exploring mangrove islands= 4 nice trout, one 14" Snapper and 3 short reds.
    Yeah it was higher than I believe I've ever seen. It was a "supermoon." Gonna keep that in mind the next time and fish accordingly.
    I believe this was the last flood tide. There are none in Oct. or Nov.