Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Puzzle

My yamaha 2stroke, started sounding it's overheat alarm about 2 months ago . I replaced the impeller, thermostat, had it flushed out. It pees fine, water from the telltail is about 130 degrees but after running about 10 min the alarm goes off.The engine doesn't appear to be hot. Any ideas?

Replies

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Bad temperature sensor?
    23895.gif
  • joet43joet43 Floral City , FLPosts: 61 Greenhorn
    On some motors , like my Tohatsu , The alarm goes off when the water pressure is lower than it should be .
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    Is the head too hot to touch? Is water coming out of the exhaust to verify water flow? Touch around each cylinder (Dont touch the plugs or wires!) and if it's too hot to hold your hand on for a few seconds it's definitely overheating. If it's cool to the touch then you probably have a bad sensor or perhaps the grounding or wiring going to the sensor is faulty.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    You could have a blockage at the area where the sensor is mounted or, as mentioned, a bad sensor.

What comes out the "peehole" hole doesn't mean much except that the water pump is working. Some motors, the bypass is where they take the stream off of, and as such it doesn't mean that the water is circulating throughout the entire motor's water jackets. An engine can be pretty well clogged and the stream will still work. I learned that a long time ago the hard way.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    What size motor. My Yamaha 2 stoke 115 has a low oil alarm as well as a over heat alarm.
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 210 Deckhand
    Years ago, I had a Johnson 50 HP that would give me an alarm and put the engine in low RPM / "save the engine" mode. As it was an intermitted problem, it took me about a year of not trusting my engine to figure it out. It ended up being a chaffed wire to the sensor. A big pain in the **** the required a piece on electrical tape.
    Good luck.
  • Red612Red612 Posts: 284 Deckhand
    x 2 on bad temp sensors. I had to change mine out on a 150 Yamaha because it would give false signals to the buzzard only at higher RPM`S.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Red612 wrote: »
    x 2 on bad temp sensors. I had to change mine out on a 150 Yamaha because it would give false signals to the buzzard only at higher RPM`S.

I assume you are the "Buzzard" it was giving signals to?
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter