Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankeetown Spoil Banks

Sunday morning decided to leave the Aluminum Skiff at home and run the Scout Bay boat a little. My dad and I woke up and headed towards Crystal River and at last second decided to unload at Yankeetown. Beautiful sunrise and not too crowded... Until we got to the spot. Ran south to the Barge Canal spoil banks and towards the end there were over 10 boats all 200 ft from eachother... We kept our distance and caught some nice fish all on gulp and shrimp bottom fishing with 1/8 jig heads. Great day with pops in the Gulf! Notice this upper slot red I caught his back was a little messed up... Anyways he still tasted amazing on the grill! Any tips on how to fish the banks? Still new to us.

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Looks like that first fish almost had his lunch ate when he was a pup..
    This time of year everybody wants to fish the banks hoping to get into the big oversize schools of Reds that come in...
    Free lined Shrimp works great but live pinfish works the best on those big Reds.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Looks like that first fish almost had his lunch ate when he was a pup..
    This time of year everybody wants to fish the banks hoping to get into the big oversize schools of Reds that come in...
    Free lined Shrimp works great but live pinfish works the best on those big Reds.....

I'm w/ Bonz on this one! Although pinfish are always yer best bet, cut bait (ladyfish or mullet) works sometimes too! Just be sure not to cast on the rock but just short of them> But I'll bet you figured that out already the hard way?
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 936 Officer
    Most of those spoils hold some fish. Some are better than others. Fish them when the water is moving good. I like to use the tides4fishing website. It's pretty good for forecasting the best times in the tide cycle and I also find the fish activity forecast to be pretty accurate.
    My last trip out I was throwing a circle hook with a bullet weight directly above it. I hooked nearly ever fish and didn't snag once. I stumbled across that rig on a friends Facebook. It really worked well for me.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral