Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mason Creek / False Channel 9/20/15

Momma came up from Port Charlotte for a couple days and we spent most of the time on the water. Saturday and Sunday we fished the morning ebb. We didn't do all that spectacular but had a good time anyway. Saturday was in Mason Creek. Using spoons and Z-Man jerk bait, we got a couple rats near the crunchy shore lines before we gave up on the reds and tried for trout just outside the creek. Throwing a silly pink mirro-dine, I lost a keeper trout and put one 16" in the box within about a half an hour.
Sunday we headed for False Channel. Again using spoons and jerk baits, we both put 19" reds in the box (we were feeling a bit greedy). In addition to the normal ladyfish here and there, I boated a larger jack to spice up the lull.
There was a learning curve for momma. She is used to fishing for reds in muddy/sandy Charlotte Harbor bottom so we spent a bit of time getting her lure out of the rocks (switching from a Johnson Sprite to a spoon helped). After fishing we came home to fillet fish, listen to Aretha Franklin and attempted to deplete me garage refrigerator of all the beer and wine.

Replies

• winshimawinshima Posts: 125 Deckhand
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    Crabtrap wrote: »
    we spent a bit of time getting her lure out of the rocks (switching from a Johnson Sprite to a spoon helped). After fishing we came home to fillet fish, listen to Aretha Franklin and attempted to deplete me garage refrigerator of all the beer and wine.

Nice. Great area to catch some fish for dinner. Y'all did good.

Have her use those Z-Mans on a slightly weighted hook and she will stay out of the oyster bars easier.

So now the refigerator is empty? :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 210 Deckhand
    Billy wrote: »
    Nice. Great area to catch some fish for dinner. Y'all did good.

Have her use those Z-Mans on a slightly weighted hook and she will stay out of the oyster bars easier.

So now the refigerator is empty? :)

Bill

I was using the Z-Man with a bullet weight. I don't really like this set up but I am not very good at re-rigging the weighted hooks after a few lizard fish encounters.
    The garage fridge is low but I've got back-up supplies in case of a nuclear holocaust.
    I was using the Z-Man with a bullet weight. I don't really like this set up but I am not very good at re-rigging the weighted hooks after a few lizard fish encounters.
    The garage fridge is low but I've got back-up supplies in case of a nuclear holocaust.

I modify a jig, that I pour, that allows a little weight in the shank of the hook and retains the double bard that is poured. This helps the plastic to stay on the jig.

One could do that with some of the jigs being sold on the market now a day.

Bill
    jig.jpg 98.5K
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,045 Captain
    Good fish, good music, good drinks, can't get any better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Good fish, good music, good drinks, can't get any better.

:Agree
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 210 Deckhand
    Billy wrote: »
    I modify a jig, that I pour, that allows a little weight in the shank of the hook and retains the double bard that is poured. This helps the plastic to stay on the jig.

One could do that with some of the jigs being sold on the market now a day.

Bill

Interesting rig. I've used something similar but it had a crew screw do-hickey attached to the eye. Are you rigging that Texas rigged?
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Looks like one hell of a way to spend a weekend! Any chance Aretha was singing any Gospel tunes on Sunday?
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Beautiful fish, beautiful lady.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    Nice Reds Crab
    Interesting rig. I've used something similar but it had a crew screw do-hickey attached to the eye. Are you rigging that Texas rigged?

No I'm not...the hook is exposed. The Z-Man has enough buoyancy to keep the rig out of the oyster bars if you pay attention to your retrieve. It does work like the screw do-hickey setup but having the weight (which I can adjust by leaving more weight on in the middle) in the plastic helps plus the double barb keeps the plastic from being torn off easily. If you are coming to the meet and greet Saturday let me know and I'll bring you a couple to try.

Bill
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 617 Officer
    Looks like a fun time in a beautiful place, Thanks for the report.