Home Diver's Corner

Stone Crabs!

LobstababeLobstababe Posts: 280 Deckhand
So season opens on Saturday the 15th. I see the weather is going to kick up again Saturday - anyone else going out to dive for them??

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,982 Captain
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 342 Deckhand
    Never dove for them before, they are up in the intercoastal right? I live in Jupiter and have heard of folks setting traps up in the intercoastal. Sounds interesting, please tell us more.
  • LobstababeLobstababe Posts: 280 Deckhand
    You are permitted 5 traps per person with a valid fishing license and can take up to 2 gallons per boat per day. Nick is probably doing what we do and that is dive for them. You can spot their holes in grassy areas off Stiltsville in 2 - 12 feet of water. The trick is to reach into the hole with a cupped hand and scoot them out of their hole quickly and grab them before they crawl away. The hard part is not getting pinched! ;-) I don't use bare hands as I've seen some mantis shrimp & have no desire to get bit!

Good luck and post up your stories too!
  • StillinscrubsStillinscrubs Posts: 1,844 Officer
    What boat? I might be out there sat and Sunday if the wind picks up.
    Scrubs, I'll be in my boat - hail me on 16 then we'll go to 79. I'll be off Soldiers or the bay depending on the winds and vis!
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    if I happen to run into a stone crab I will try to catch it. We are planning to try for lobs Saturday.
  • RootbeerRootbeer Posts: 128 Officer
    ohh how I love stone crabs yum! I love to dive for them too Lobstababe... I use to try to catch them by soldiers but I wasn't always successful since I just started last year... I haven't seen any where we have been diving out of ceasars...
    Yeah, I heard the wind will be kicking on Saturday and our dive buddies are talking about it but we still plan to speafish on Saturday... THanks for reminding me about the stone crabs - I completely forgot that they were opening up...

Have fun and I hope you catch alot!

:hungry Now if I can only figure out how to find octopus to catch for my Mom :)
  • producebproduceb Posts: 96 Deckhand
    I will be in the Bahamas grapping some big claws saturday. I can already taste them dipped in butter. Not much better
  • Lone DrifterLone Drifter Posts: 639 Officer
    Couple of questions, is there no other way to get them out without using your hands ? Is it correct that you release them after you remove only one of the claws ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Couple of questions, is there no other way to get them out without using your hands ? Is it correct that you release them after you remove only one of the claws ?

It is legal to take both claws but recommended that you take only one.
    You are allowed to take both claws. I only take one thou.
    Rootbeer wrote: »
    ohh how I love stone crabs yum! I love to dive for them too Lobstababe... I use to try to catch them by soldiers but I wasn't always successful since I just started last year... I haven't seen any where we have been diving out of ceasars...
    Yeah, I heard the wind will be kicking on Saturday and our dive buddies are talking about it but we still plan to speafish on Saturday... THanks for reminding me about the stone crabs - I completely forgot that they were opening up...

Have fun and I hope you catch alot!

:hungry Now if I can only figure out how to find octopus to catch for my Mom :)

Good luck Donna! We occasionally catch an octopus in 40 feet of water or deeper in the gulf off Sarasota, Boca Grande, or Tampa.

100_1630.jpg
  • RootbeerRootbeer Posts: 128 Officer
    thanks Bill let me know if you know of any places closer by Elliot... I saw one at Soldiers but I chickened out LOL
    If you really don't want to grab them, use the traps. You can buy zincs that release the line so the buoys won't pop up for 7 days or so. That way the poachers will leave them alone. It doesn't look good for Sunday, so I'm waiting until next week.
    Rootbeer wrote: »
    thanks Bill let me know if you know of any places closer by Elliot... I saw one at Soldiers but I chickened out LOL

I have dived the Elliot Key area for a long time. The only Octopus I recall seeing was a baby that was in a Sea Biscuit that we brought on board. Cute little thing.
    The weather was not good Sunday but we went anyways. Hard to find our holes in the overcast and windy conditions but did manage some big bahamian stones.
    IMAG0094-1.jpg
    IMAG0093.jpg