Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Weather (and fishing) reports needed!

jcanracerjcanracer ModeratorBroward, FLPosts: 4,343 Moderator
Guys, my dad and brother in law are coming into town for this weekend and I want to take them out in the kayaks on Saturday. Please update me with weather reports (wind, waves, drift direction & speed) if you are going offshore any time this week from Dania up to Boca. I'm not sure where I will end up but I appreciate any news/reports/advice I can get.

Plan A: Offshore, wherever the weather looks good and the bite is turned on :fishing

Plan B: Inshore, Biscayne Bay. Not too excited for this since last weekend the only thing biting were mosquitoes, no-see-ums, and baby jacks :banghead

Plan C: If weather is crap I guess there's always The Pub lol :rotflmao
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• RickysreefRickysreef Senior Member miamiPosts: 394 Officer
    Weather looks good for sat and sunday I went out last sunday got 2 blackfing tuna 2 cero mack 3 almaco and a sailfish!!!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Moderator Broward, FLPosts: 4,343 Moderator
    If you go out this week, let me know how the conditions are. Last couple times I was out there the current was ripping north which makes for a tough time unless you set up a drift with your fishing partners ahead of time.
    It looks like I might have to borrow a kayak too.
    The last 4 times only last sunday we got some current and not very strong im planing on going sunday but on a boat I let u know!
  • rdny041285rdny041285 Member Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Have you ever tried fishing freshwater for Snakeheads?
    rdny041285 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried fishing freshwater for Snakeheads?

Honestly, nope. I'm a sea dog, saltwater or nothing for me.
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Honestly, nope. I'm a sea dog, saltwater or nothing for me.

Yea I was the same. Fished freshwater my whole life in NY so down near the Ocean when I moved to Florida I wanted nothing to do with freshwater. But I fished for snakehead for the first time a few weeks ago and discovered I liked eating snakeheads more than any salt water fish I have had. So lately I have been snakehead fishing every weekend instead.

EDIT: Also they fight like snook. Trying to run and get around structure and they jump. Definitely a fun fish to catch.
    Yea I was the same. Fished freshwater my whole life in NY so down near the Ocean when I moved to Florida I wanted nothing to do with freshwater. But I fished for snakehead for the first time a few weeks ago and discovered I liked eating snakeheads more than any salt water fish I have had. So lately I have been snakehead fishing every weekend instead.

EDIT: Also they fight like snook. Trying to run and get around structure and they jump. Definitely a fun fish to catch.

Snakehead is the one freshwater species I actually DO want to target. Just not this time.
    This weekend is my dad's 60th birthday and I grew up fishing with him offshore first in his Panga-like canoe and then later on in his Boston Whaler (which he still has today, almost 30 years later!). So for us, the open water is a tradition :cool:
    Snakehead is the one freshwater species I actually DO want to target. Just not this time.
    This weekend is my dad's 60th birthday and I grew up fishing with him offshore first in his Panga-like canoe and then later on in his Boston Whaler (which he still has today, almost 30 years later!). So for us, the open water is a tradition :cool:

Understandable. My dad comes to visit and do as much saltwater as possible. But hes a Northerner and wont get in a Kayak in the saltwater. And I don't own a big boat anymore. So Freshwater we go haha
    Understandable. My dad comes to visit and do as much saltwater as possible. But hes a Northerner and wont get in a Kayak in the saltwater. And I don't own a big boat anymore. So Freshwater we go haha

Next time the sea is rough, perhaps we can make a venture inland for Snakeheads? Apparently I'm in/near a good spot for them (Pembroke Pines):shrug
    Not to hijack the thread but great thing about snakeheads is, in the canals there isn't much wind if its a rough day on the ICW or Ocean. And no limits on them :)
    I just started a few weeks ago and mostly fish the spurs off the C-14 but I don't see why they wouldn't have gone that far south since they have came as far North as Wellington.
    Weather does not look good for offshore this Saturday. Sunday is possible but my guests are heading back that day. Oh well, watching weather...
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Senior Member Jupiter, flPosts: 858 Officer
    I just walked down to the beach by the Juno Pier, and it's pretty flat. Can't comment on current, it was moving pretty quick with the new moon last Saturday.
    Take Dad on a Dania to Commercial, or Pompano drift. Jig the wrecks along the way. There are a lot of Almaco's on the wrecks, and I know your a fan of Almaco. If you don't have a second vehicle, call a cab.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    Yeah, weather report screwed us. Report from the pier said flat calm this morning too :banghead
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Senior Member Jupiter, flPosts: 858 Officer
    Yeah, weather report screwed us. Report from the pier said flat calm this morning too :banghead

So what happened?
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    So what happened?
    I was relying on an accurate weather forecast because I would have had to drive up north to pick up a kayak for my 3rd guest. Bad forecast = didnt get kayak. When the weather turned out to be perfectly frickin' fine we just kinda shrugged, did a bass pro trip and then ended up drinking beer and watching football.

I'm still bitter I didn't get to fish, but the old man had a good enough weekend so all's well that ends well.
  • inshore daveinshore dave Senior Member MargatePosts: 565 Officer
    So Chris, how'd you guys do?
    2015 Hobie Outback fishing machine.