Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Gator recipes other than obligatory fried nuggets??

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,875 Moderator
So, after two meals and giving away about 10 pounds I currently have a little over 50 pounds of white meat left. Also have more tags.

As I'm sure you all know, fried goes a long way.

Any other suggestions that are equally good? I'm out of the sausage business. I was thinking a Schezuan style stir fry might be good. What else yall got?

Aside form that, it's looking more and more like I might end up trophy deer hunting this year. Freezer stupid full of food... typically by this time of year it has zero fish, a handful of lobster, and enough deer to get us through a scoreless archer season (we open 10/24). This year I have same number of lobsters, quite a bit of grouper snapper and scamp, 50+lb of gator, three yearling doe hams bone in, probably 75lb of ground venison, still have 30# or so of the 9 gallon chili batch we made 8 months ago, etc.

WAY over loaded and I'm kind of stressing out about it. Good news is my brother in law LOVES fish (frozen or otherwise) so I'm going to give him that fish... actually it was intended for him before I froze it. We usually give it all away and keep only what we can eat 1.5 meals / day for 5 days.

Anyway, I've just never had so much venison this time of year PLUS the alligator. Venison the wife is down with. And truthfully, alligator she's down with. We're just tired of fried and we must get to crackin' on that freezer.

Whatchall got?

PS - We just got a new house computer and boy is it easier to post from a computer compared to a freaking phone. Pretty sure Straight Talk Tunnel was kicking in!
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Gumbo
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • jhandymanjhandyman Posts: 203 Officer
    My families favorites are gator cakes and coconut gator. Gator cakes are just fine chopped or ground gator, bread crumbs, seasoning, onion, peppers and a little egg. Make patties and pan fry. Coconut gator was found on YouTube (Deer Meat for Dinner.)
    My favorite is gator kabobs. Marinate small cubes of gator in 1 cup of oil, 1 cup of honey and Cajun seasoning for 24-48 hours. Grill kabobs on high heat till centers are done. They cook fast so don't overdo it!
  • Gone_FishingGone_Fishing Posts: 1,184 Officer
    Stir Fry sounds really good.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,405 Admiral
    Gator cheese balls!!!

Use a extra sharp cheddar, some of that fine homemade sausage I'm betting you have down in one of those freezers and ground gator, with Bisquick and I think a little butter! A few hot pepper slices chopped up in there is also a nice kick.

As it is 4:50 in the morning and waking Louann to get the EXACT ingredients could be life threatening!, you'll have to wait for the proportions and anything I missed.

Mix that stuff up to a paste and then plop spoon sized balls onto one of those baking stones and shove in the oven. Have hot sauce ready!

I like them dark brown and kind of crisp........and if you do the hot sauce/butter combination like for hot wings......even better.

Of course they ain't good for the arteries, and if consumed to aggressively will leave lasting effects on the digestive tract, especially if you use the proper amount of hot sauce!.......but man are they good!!!!

Another option, assuming you decide to chase more gators rather than start focusing on the deer, is to save both the ribs and the legs in their whole condition. Depending on the size of the gator, smaller being better, you simply slow cook as you would a wild hog shoulder, being extra careful not to dry them out. The old foil after a couple of hours of smoke trick works good.

Finally........and this might not appeal as it works best with a 5-6 foot gator which you may not want to use a tag on.......but if you do try slow smoking the whole thing. Skin it, gut, remove head & feet, brine it overnight, rub it down and then smoke the heck out of it. Got to have friends for this as you'll get a lot of yield off of it this way........but they will thank you.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,875 Moderator
    Good stuff guys, thanks.

Gator cakes sound pretty straight forward. I make a mean crab cake... sound pretty similar.

Gator cheese balls: Yes, those do sound good. Yes, those do sound like they might through the ol' GI tract for a loop! Family tradition of ours is my sister makes traditional sausage / cheese balls every Christmas morning... as a kid she was a picky eater and sausage balls were basically a food group of hers. Anyway, over the years she has perfected the things. Thinking I'll go with her recipe, and maybe 20% store bought breakfast sausage 80% gator. She goes with crushed red peppers for heat rather than sliced pepper. CRPs give them a good uniform warmth.

Whole gators... we had a dandy a couple weeks ago. Took my wife. The FIRST hunting excursion of ANY type that I've talked her into. When we first started dating back probably 10 years ago I got her to sight in a rifle for a deer hunt the next day. She bailed. Until the gator hunt, that was a close as I'd gotten her. She'll out fish the best men in Florida, but won't hunt. Anyway, I got her to gator hunt with me. Around 10:00 pm I started picking up on little things as we all learn to do. About 11:00 it was obviously time. In an effort to keep things light and fun I decided to take the next gator we came across. Took a 5'5". Thing was tiny. Probably should have kept him whole and smoked him. I'm currently w/out smoker, though. Bought an el cheapo at lowes probably two years ago. One year ago it was still in fine shape but WOULD NOT hold heat. One day after going through log after log after log of wood doing two averaged sized pork shoulders I took the thing to the street. It was there for approximately 89 seconds before some poor sap tossed it in his truck and drove off with a smile. I'm not sure if his smile was any bigger than mine, though. Anyway, I came into a lot of tags this year. Next year if the same thing happens I'll be sure to have a quality smoker on hand.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,253 Captain
    Take those fried gator bites and toss them in any "wing" sauce recipe....The classic Buffalo Wings sauce...melt butter or margarine, add a little salt...add all the Crystal Hot Sauce you can stand....toss and coat the bites...

Another easy one....take any bottled BBQ sauce....melt less butter or margarine, add a little brown sugar and a little vinegar (to reduce thickness of the BBQ sauce)...mix all together to taste...toss and coat the bites....

You can add Teryaki in lieu of the vinegar to this one as well...
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,839 AG
    Use a meat hammer (spiked side) and pound the white meat thin (about 1/4") andthen cut it in 1" x 2" strips and soak the pieces in your favorite marinade overnight. I use several different ones depending on my mood and what ingredients I have handy. Usually a soy based but sometimes a mojo type. Then thread them on to some wood BBQ skewers that have been soaked in water and cook them over a hot grill turning and basting with extra marinade as needed. Like a Satay.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• cfthcfth Posts: 428 Deckhand
    We actually sell a cook book which I am sure you can buy on the net.

The Gourmet Gator cookbook

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Capt. Grayson Padrick
    www.centralfloridatrophyhunts.com
    Alligator Hunts, Alligator Hunting Equipment, Alligator and Wild Game Processing
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Here is a link to fresh from Florida website with gator recipes. http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Recipes/Seafood/Alligator
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • flattitudeflattitude Posts: 536 Officer
    Alligator Sauce Piquant I have made this with chicken, venison, and gator.

Serves 6-8.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 4 hours

1 cup peanut oil or lard
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    1 cup chopped celery
    5 garlic cloves
    One 6-ounce can of tomato paste
    1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, or more to taste
    3-4 pounds venison or other meat, diced small
    1 cup red wine
    One 28-ounce can tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
    4 bay leaves
    Salt, black pepper and hot sauce to taste
    Chopped green onions or parsley for garnish

In a large, heavy pot like a Dutch oven, heat the peanut oil over medium-high heat for a minute or two. Stir in the flour, then turn the heat down to medium. Cook this roux, stirring often, until it turns the color of dark chocolate, about 15-20 minutes. Once the roux turns the color of peanut butter, you will need to stir it almost constantly to prevent it from burning.

While the roux is cooking, Heat 6 cups of water in another pot to the boiling point. Hold it at a simmer for now.

When the roux is ready, add the onions, celery and green pepper and stir to combine. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook this, stirring often, until everything is soft, about 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle some salt over everything while you do this. Add the garlic, Cajun seasoning and tomato past and stir to combine. Cook this, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes.

Mix in the venison, then add the cup of red wine, the can of crushed tomatoes and the hot water, stirring as you add. Add the bay leaves and bring this to a gentle simmer. Add salt and hot sauce to taste. Let this simmer very gently until the meat is tender, about 3 hours or more.

When the sauce piquante is ready, add any more salt, black pepper, hot sauce and/or Cajun seasoning you want, then serve it with white rice and lots of green onions or parsley. Make sure you have hot sauce at the table; I use Tabasco, but use whatever variety you prefer.
  • icy1155icy1155 Posts: 123 Officer
    cfth wrote: »
    We actually sell a cook book which I am sure you can buy on the net.

The Gourmet Gator cookbook

This is a good cookbook for gators. Other than what's in here, I am going to second Deer Meat for Dinner's Coconut Gator Bites with Orange Basil Sauce. Each year a bunch of our friends get together and have a gator party after season and everyone brings a dish. We made those last year and brought them and every person there said that we won for best dish.
    icy1155 wrote: »
    This is a good cookbook for gators. Other than what's in here, I am going to second Deer Meat for Dinner's Coconut Gator Bites with Orange Basil Sauce. Each year a bunch of our friends get together and have a gator party after season and everyone brings a dish. We made those last year and brought them and every person there said that we won for best dish.

Pretty strong testimony there. Will have to look into this one
  • icy1155icy1155 Posts: 123 Officer
    Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8zuafsdl-w

He makes it out of jelly roll, but we have made them from tail that was tenderized and it works very well.
  • Shallow ThoughtsShallow Thoughts Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Gator Parm! It's a family favorite.

I tenderize nice piece of white meat until its nice, thin, and tender. Then chose your favorite Chicken Parmesan recipe. The first time I made it for the family I didn't tell them was gator until after they went for 2nds.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,839 AG
    Gator Parm! It's a family favorite.

I tenderize nice piece of white meat until its nice, thin, and tender. Then chose your favorite Chicken Parmesan recipe. The first time I made it for the family I didn't tell them was gator until after they went for 2nds.

Great idea!

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    don't cook without one
    CHEFTENDER48.jpg&width=600&height=600&padding=0
    don't cook without one
    CHEFTENDER48.jpg&width=600&height=600&padding=0

I've had one for years. Great tool
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral