Triple the fun.

ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
New species for me on the Fly. Found a few pods of these guys. Wish I had been a tad more experienced with Triples as I missed some very large fish. Never seen fish come up and kiss the bait...sometimes pressing their closed mouth to the fly for several seconds. Of course sometimes they scream over and bite immediately. The bigger fish were more wary for sure and a few I could not get to react. Lot's to learn but what a hoot on the fly.

P9100019_zpswwfn2i2k.jpg

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    I am trying to solve the mystery of catching tripletail without live shrimp myself. Thanks for the report.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    Big supreme shrimp flies. Had a ten pounder one day ignore natural bait then I tossed the fake shrimp out...charged form 2 feet away. I tie them front swimming so they look natural the way they actually swim. The top one in the photo is it. The small one tied by someone else was used for reference.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    saltybum wrote: »
    Big supreme shrimp flies. Had a ten pounder one day ignore natural bait then I tossed the fake shrimp out...charged form 2 feet away. I tie them front swimming so they look natural the way they actually swim. The top one in the photo is it. The small one tied by someone else was used for reference.

I am seeing that fly in Bass Pro Shops in a size 2 and a size 6. Which size is the one that you like, and is that a Bass Pro Big Supreme fly?

Thanks for any help.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    Nice trip!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,572 Captain
    Lobster the big fly is tied on a 4/0 hook using hair normally meant for jigs. I used wire on the tail and flatten it with pliers then a drop of glue to hold it. Lot of work fabricating those things. Never have seen an SBS on them, just kind of trial and error.
  • Capt. ScottCapt. Scott Posts: 94 Greenhorn
    I get to fish for these quite often offshore Palm Beach on weed lines, normally around large rafts of weeds and lumber, ie branches, Palm fronds, shipping pallets,(never found a shipping pallet without triples on it). Don't know about fishing for them in shallow water. but offshore seems like their feeding strategy is to look like debris and wait for bait fish to swim up to them. They don't seem inclined to chase food much. Fly selection isn't an issue if they are in the mood to feed at all. Small streamers(sz.2-1/0) in chartreuse and white seems the most consistent, but I've gotten them to eat a wide variety. Even those little cork body bass poppers with the rubber legs. Since they are always hugging structure, a weedless fly is highly recommended. Just have to get it in the right spot. Lead them by no more than a foot, drop the fly five feet beyond and bring right in front of them and stop. When they start after the fly, two quick, short twitches will most often trigger a strike. They suck it in, you won't feel anything. Fly disappears, set the hook. Be quick, they spit just as fast. And they do have some teeth and extremely sharp gill plates. A 25-30# fluorocarbon bite tippet is a good idea. Hope this helps....
  • jonesbros1026jonesbros1026 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Now that's a tasty fish, never knew they would take a fly, very cool.