Home Fly Fishing

Chopper driver looking for the bite...

agm984agm984 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
Hey all, first post on the forum. I currently live in Jacksonville, NC and am going to be back home for a few weeks. Haven't fished the Brevard waters since I was in high school so looking for some steers to the fish. NO I am not asking for anyone's honey hole, I like finding those on my own. I'll throw a few spots out and you guys feel free to provide me with maybe some launch options or if I am way off on where I should be looking for fish this time of year. First I am going to be fishing an 8wt and 6wt. I was thinking shrimp/crab ties mainly with some gurgles, ep minnows, and clousers. My parents live in Cocoa Village now so I am thinking Kars Park, the Banana River just north of Pineda. Anyone know any other good spots I am missing that will allow me to catch in no particular order, reds, poons and snook? I do have a kayak (Diablo Adios) so I can cover decent water but I am also planning to get out and wade or just leave the yak at home and wade all day. Well that's it for now, just looking for some guidance for getting on some fish before I take off for Japan for the next six months. Thanks, tight lines.

Andrew

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,602 Captain
    The mullet run is happening on the beaches right now. You have a good chance for a large variety in close especially snook. Yesterday down at PAFB I saw 100lb plus tarpon going airborne outside the breakers but an 8wt would get trashed on them.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,385 Captain
    The event Bob is describing is a bait migration that takes place here annually, honey holes won't be of much use. You can drive until you see violence, or pick a spot and hope that luck is on your side. The fish are ancient and hostile, so gear up accordingly.
  • agm984agm984 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Unfortunately I am not huge on the surf fishing. Are you saying that due to the mullet run occurring in the surf, the fish will have pushed into the surf, or will I still be able to find stuff willing to bite in the ICW?
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,602 Captain
    No the fish are still in the ICW. However as you can see in the above photo the fish are in close. I've been in knee deep water and had snook blow up on bait behind me. Long cast are not usually needed. Right now the seas are pretty calm making it a lot nicer to fish too.