Home General Freshwater Fishing

If I switch to braid...

I've always used mono for bass fishing. I have braid on my salt water gear and use a leader 2-20ft depending what I'm looking for and water conditions. If I use braid for bass will I always have to use a leader or do they not care about seeing the line in front of what they eat? How bout peacock bass? Getting really tired of the memory in my trilene mono causing knots all the time.

What do you guys do/recommend? Thanks.

Replies

• monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    i use braid for every thing and always use a leader for every thing i fish for.
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    ditch the mono, get the braid. always always use a leader, whether you choose to go with fluorocarbon or mono. braid doesn't stretch, and you want a little stretch... (mono and fluoro both stretch)
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    I agree with using a leader always... maybe except for pitching and flipping heavy cover... I would think knot would get in way.
  • SuperFlukeSuperFluke Posts: 1,889 Captain
    I don't think you need to worry about the stretch in a foot or so of leader. But do use a leader. And do ease up on the drag a touch to accommodate for the difference in the line.
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    ditch the mono, get the braid. always always use a leader, whether you choose to go with fluorocarbon or mono. braid doesn't stretch, and you want a little stretch... (mono and fluoro both stretch)

The stretch in 2' of leader would not be noticed. Use a leader though.
    i never said 2'.
    I am choice.
    2. and yes it would, especially if you're using 12lb yozuri. like me.
    I am choice.
    i never said 2'.

How long of leader should he use for bass?
    18ft wind-on.
    I am choice.
  • bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    i like to use a 12 to 15 foot leader on my bass stuff. that way i have plenty to cut and retie, there is a little stretch, and it keeps the knot on the reel that way it doesnt catch up on the guides as bad on casts.
    18ft wind-on.

then I would just stick with mono if you're going to use that much leader.
    so you really do fish?
    I am choice.
    so you really do fish?

Yes, but in freshwater I don't use 20' of leader. More like 2'.

Here is a HUGE bream I caught. That's a Mann's stretch 15 next to it for size comparison:
    P4200042.jpg
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,078 Moderator
    I never use a leader with braid. Seems pointless and defeats the purpose of braid. Its also quite a hassle to deal with for the near zero gain I noticed. I used to use PP for everything and, in the last year or so, starting using Fluoro for most applications due to its invisibility and lack of stretch over mono. I still use braid for certain things depending on water clarity. Caught 20lbs in a tourney on Kissimmee with 50lb PP and a spinnerbait. I never lost a fish and had no problems with hookups...not then or ever. If I'm in clear water I resort to the 20lb Trilene Professional. That stuff is excellent.
    About all that I would use mono for would be topwater plugs since fluoro messes up their action as it sinks.

Basically, if you're going to use braid then go all the way. If you're worried about visibiliy then only use it in stained or muddy water or use fluoro instead. Forget the leader altogether.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,547 Captain
    I fish all kinds of water and at first I used 20 pound PP and a leader. Now I use no leader and mostly 8 pound PP.
  • mclovinmclovin Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Good information guys. Thanks a lot. I think I'll go ahead and try both. I'm going to try this new braid I heard about yesterday: http://www.finsfishing.com/prt.aspx. I have Spiderwire on my saltwater rods and I love it for yellowtailing. Nice and sensitive. Guess I'll keep everyone posted on this other stuff and on the difference I see with/without a leader as well as leader length. I'm in Sunrise, so I'll let you all know the difference on snakeheads and bass as well. Pretty rare that I find a peacock bass up here, so I won't be able to say on that.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,319 Moderator
    Well , my .02. Braid for flipping and pitching w/no leader 65# or 50#.. P.P 20# braid with a 17lb mono leader (2'-3' ) for Rapalas,weightless worms and light lures due to casting distance gained with braid on spinning tackle. 30# braid on spinnerbaits/swimbaits/frogs with a stiff crankbait rod no leader. I like a little rod "forgiveness" with braid so i don't pull hooks and jump the gun on the hookset. Crankbaits and wormin'/carolina rigs I like flourocarbon.
    It all works , the tackle HAS to match the line ! The no stretch factor in braid has to be considered in the application, or get ready for problems.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    **** i hate to agree to this, but i have to when it comes to LMB... i caught them for yrs at Disney on nothing more then a ultra rig, and braid when it first came out and it was nothing fancy a lure or baitfish and toss it out there and bam..
    but lets also be honest about a LMB once he given his couple of little runs (if that) he done and you don't really have to worry about him blowing up on you when you have him close,
    and i would also have to disagree about spending good money on fluro for them, we fish for them in gin clear water and they still hit our lures/baits
    Keep the fluro for saltwater game (when needed) and when it comes to saltwater fishing... Hell yes i would use a mono/fluro leader :thumbsup
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • I use braid for saltwater and mono for freshwater. I used to use braid in freshwater also but I found that I caught more bass on mono. Can they see the braid even with a leader? I don't know. I do use braid in freshwater for flipping or in extremely heavy brush.
    Life is Good!
  • FishinNoleFishinNole Posts: 407 Officer
    I use braid for almost everything except throwning a rat-l-trap. Spinnerbait, Flippin/Pitchin anything in heavy cover or grass. At least its what works for me. I go braid w/ a mono leader for Carolina Rigs.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    braid in my opinion needs a leader of some sort. if I can see it, I'm quite sure bass, trout, reds, snook an tarpon can see it. I use nothing smaller than 20lbs leader. I've yet to have a fresh water fish break me off using 20lbs mono/fluro. I use at least a 4 four foot (sometimes up to 6-7ft) leader depending on lure an water clarity. some might consider that a long leader. but like someone said in another post, i retie often. it keeps me from having to retie my leader as often.

I actually favor mono leader
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    I'm not a real fan of braid for bass ,unless I'm fishing a frog and then its #40 with no leader (not b/c a bass is gonna break #40 braid, but so it don't dig into the spool).
    Remember we are talking about LMB not saltwater, I'm a great fan of Mono leader with braid but not when fishing for LMB and fluro IMHO is a waste of good money in freshwater and as far as braid digging into your
    spool... one> either you arent loading it tight enough or you keep casting away and let it get loose and don't do anything about it..
    I have yet to have my braid dig into my spool catching saltwater fish, let alone a LMB.... lol
    Jettypark wrote: »
    Remember we are talking about LMB not saltwater, I'm a great fan of Mono leader with braid but not when fishing for LMB and fluro IMHO is a waste of good money in freshwater and as far as braid digging into your
    spool... one> either you arent loading it tight enough or you keep casting away and let it get loose and don't do anything about it..
    I have yet to have my braid dig into my spool catching saltwater fish, let alone a LMB.... lol

I know how to spool a reel with braid , braid digs harder on a baitcaster than it does other type reels.a levelwind can only put the line on one way....
    then change to a spinning reel :chill LOL... (JK) yes braid does dig harder but i know guys who go to extreme to keep it from happening and they don't have a problem or arent saying anything
    to me.. This isnt directed at you, so don't take that way... but to keep line from digging in most reel it always goes back to how it is loaded on the reel.
    We all load our reels the same way, we overfilled them>tie it off>walk it all off and lock down the drag and walk it back on with as much pressure as you can give it, trust me you won't anything
    and the bottom part of your spool will always stay tight, well until you have a fish take it off..

thats the way we do it with all reels, and the guys that use baitcaster tend to use heavier braid, then we do with spinning.. again this is just my .02, just like a AH everybody has one.. no harm meant
    If I only had one option for LMB it would be mono by a long shot..There's really nothing it can't do..
    saltwater inshore thats a different story. ;)
  • mclovinmclovin Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    I think I underestimated the strength of braid compared to mono. I made the switch and instead of my line breaking off from a big snakehead, when I set the hook I yanked a smaller one clear out of the water and landed him on the ground in front of me. I do feel like I'm getting less strikes now and haven't tried using the leader yet, but the weather has been cooling, so that could be part of the reason. We'll see how it goes the next few weeks without a leader, then I'll throw one on for a while and let you all know.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,547 Captain
    mclovin, lol I've done the same thing many times. Last summer I dropped a Toad in a hole in the grass. Got a bite and when I set the hook I yanked a little half pound bass out of the water. He came unbuttoned in the air and followed cool arch and landed right between my legs in the Yak !!!
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    The braid to mono/fluro connection for largemouth for me... has nothing to do with the fear of losing the fish because of its not so incredible strength, but more to do with the bass' keen eyesight seeing my "rope" - um, I mean braid in the water...

Expensive?... Crap... For freshwater i use a spool of Vanish LINE (250 yards) that I got for 9.99.... Got that well over a year ago, I use it for fresh and inshore salt and have had nadda problem with it.. from yanking largemouth out of pads, to tussling with 20lb redfish on a flat. I do have a spool of 30lb seaguar 100 % Fluoro leader that I may switch out if I am coming across + sized snook, or throwing lures in some mad mangroves..... And have another spool of 50lb fluoro if I run across tarpon... But for fresh - and most inshore - especially grass flats fishing - the Vanish spool is just fine.