Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Night Fishing

Went out this past Friday after work to look for some keeper snook. Pretty good chop out of the pass so didn't make it to my usual spot off shore. Ended up fishing the pass and some lights netting about a dozen snook, all under slot, a couple nice keeper mangos, and the usual trash can slam. A lot of smaller bait still around with a good amount of birds identifying the larger schools. Hopefully the wind will dye down over the next couple of weeks and I get out offshore a ways.

One thing worth mentioning besides the mediocre fishing are the mods I have added to my boat. I primarily fish at night because its the only time i get to myself with little ones at home. Due to this I have started to add some features that enhance the night time fishing experience. The first thing I added was a LED light bar which you would typically find on the front of a 4X4 anything. I used some quick connect fittings and a weather proof male/female plug so i can take it home with me when done. Provides a huge amount of light when running back channels and lights up markers for what seems like miles. Just have to be courteous of other boaters because it will blind the S*%T out of you.

Second thing I have been playing around with is LED lighting under the t-top. Have several different proto types I am working on but finally got one operational with 2 different types of LED strips. The first is a UV light and the second is a traditional RGB strip. The RGB gives you just about any color you could want but really the only one I use is the Red. The UV light takes it to another level and adds another dimension to the light spectrum at night. I added some Spiderwire GlowVis to my reels which really takes advantage of the black light. Its great because you don't lose your night vision and you can see your line to tie knots. Pics didn't come out great but you get the idea.

Sorry for the long post but if any of you are fishing at night these couple of mods are well worth it.

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,229 Officer
    Nice set up. Good info. Also nice to here you concern for other boaters regarding the bright light lights.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,044 Admiral
    YES , thank you for that.
    I fished nights for years. We did the no lights thing. Put a towel over the dash light and got Night vision in an hour or so.
    We would fish 7 miles off shore and run the GPS right to our Markers. Then do Chokoloskee Pass at Real Dark Thirty ,2 am stuff.
    3 guys ,one lookout , one Captain , One GPS pro...that was me , all I did was watch the machine and call Headings.
    Snook Team Inbound...:banana
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    What were yall really doing Terror? Haha, never mind, don't wanna know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.