Pompano Beach 9/3/15

Went to get gogs at Aces and they did not have any:( ... so I decided to catch my own bait. Left 12th st in Pompano Bch around 645. Caught blue runners for bait and started fishing the runners around 745. Had a huge Barracuda first thing in the morning on a big runner, then it became reel slow on bait. Dragged runners around all day for only one other small cuda. Current was South, but not too strong.. around 1.5kts in 200ft of water. Weeds were almost nonexistent -- It was nice not to have to check the bait so frequently for weeds. Boats on the outside were reporting limits of gaffer mahi 10 miles out on a huge weedline... too bad that's just a little too far out of range:( Small Amico's bit well on the vertical jigs, one drop caught 2 jacks on one jig. Total catch for the day included 10 Almicos, 2 cudas, a bonita and a yellowtail snapper taken in 200ft of water on the vertical jig. I kept the snapper and released everything else to fight again another day. Some of the Almacos had scare marks on them from when other's had caught and released them. Weather was excellent and it was a nice day on the water.

Replies

• 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Some nice action on the jig.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    That's a nice snapper. Can't wait I'm a fish the next 4 days! Going tru withdrawal.....
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,321 Moderator
    Sweeet snappa!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    Very nice. Do people usually keep cudas down there? I get emails from the FWC and they are putting regulations on them now in south Florida. I didn't think they were good eating..?
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,321 Moderator
    AceDawg wrote: »
    Very nice. Do people usually keep cudas down there? I get emails from the FWC and they are putting regulations on them now in south Florida. I didn't think they were good eating..?
    most people don't keep them, but a few of us from the islands have had it in the past growing up and surprise: its actually really good! If there wasn't the risk of ciguaterra poisoning, I think more people would keep em.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Hey John, Call me dumb, but is that a radar reflector on your flag? I imagine it works with the larger slower vessels, but what about the fast moving idiots in speed boats?......Karl
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,780 Captain
    AceDawg wrote: »

People are known to eat the smaller ones, but risk of ciguaterra prevents most from eating the bigger ones. Ashame to kill a big fish if you can't eat it, so back in the water he went so someone else can enjoy catching him another day.
    krhyde1066 wrote: »
    Hey John, Call me dumb, but is that a radar reflector on your flag? I imagine it works with the larger slower vessels, but what about the fast moving idiots in speed boats?......Karl

Absolutely correct Karl ! That silver ball just below my flag is a radar reflector....so far it seems I am the only kayaker using one locally, but I have an appreciation for them having worked in the Merchant Marines the last 30 years. Since the weekend warriors in their speed boats generally don't have a radar, and even if they did, may not know how to tune it in, probably won't be much use for them -- that is why I have the flag. The reflector is more for the larger slower vessels that maybe are too reliant on radar, and don't look out the window nearly as often as they should. Their is a green research vessel that runs the coast that nearly ran us over one day....I am guessing the third mate was busy with a chart. The radar reflector helps make a larger pip on any vessel's radar screen, without it a plastic kayak could easily be filter out with a sea clutter return. The reflector becomes especially significant in times of reduced visibility, such as fog or rain.
  • Hobie AnglerHobie Angler Posts: 326 Deckhand
    Very nice Yellowtail! Well done...
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 837 Officer
    Nice snapper.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice fishing John.:Rockon
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    That's a Bahamas or FL Keys sized yellowtail! I do hope you hit the mark button.
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 551 Officer
    Nice report and pics.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
    That's a Bahamas or FL Keys sized yellowtail! I do hope you hit the mark button.

It was on one of the regular wrecks that have been fished a million times....There was a follower, but half a dozen follow up drops did not produce another snapper, only Amicos.
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info,John. I thought it was, but didn't know how well it would work being so low to the water.