Home Conservation Forums

App or paper license???

jgutzkejgutzke Posts: 151 Deckhand
Quick question guys. If you have the FWC app downloaded on your smart phone and it shows your licenses are you still required to carry a paper or card style license? I can see needing to carry your duck stamp, but I don't see why you would need anything else if you have the app.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    I think the App is new for 2015? I just fear running into an uninformed FWC, so I carry both (or sometimes leave the paper license in my car and the cellphone app is on me while I'm kayaking).
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Jet Blue will let you on their airplane with the app, I am sure that is why FWC made the app so that you would have it for display to an officer.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Yes the app works, just be sure to have a valid id card with you as well
  • jgutzkejgutzke Posts: 151 Deckhand
    Awesome, thanks guys!
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    App is all that is needed , must have a valid license bought.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,792 Moderator
    Supposed to be legit.

However, I'll never forget the time the USS Something steamed up on us 45nm off the hill. Launched the inflatable and had five coasties going through every nook and cranny of my boat. Captain hailed us radio prior and made his intentions known. His exact words were, "These guys need the practice." An hour later they had left. Had to point out gag vs scamp. Was asked if we had any weapons on board. We did not so we told them no, at which point some baby faced kid says with utmost authority, "Well then! What do you call that?" as pointed at a bait knife. "Sir, that is a bait knife."

The BEST, however, part was when my buddy handed him his lifetime fishing license. Across the top it says LIFETIME. Idiot goes straight to the issue date and says to buddy... "This has expired." Hahaha. He felt real bright after that.

Point of the story, if a water **** can't figure out "Lifetime License" he may have a real hard time with an app.

Note: USCG, stick to maintaining navigational aides and go back to helping folks prior to imminent peril.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    I routinely get passed in the no wake zone at Homestead Bayfront park when I am going as fast as I was when a Coastie boomed his microphone telling me to "slow down".
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    Apparently they do need the practice. :)
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    Supposed to be legit.

However, I'll never forget the time the USS Something steamed up on us 45nm off the hill. Launched the inflatable and had five coasties going through every nook and cranny of my boat. Captain hailed us radio prior and made his intentions known. His exact words were, "These guys need the practice." An hour later they had left. Had to point out gag vs scamp. Was asked if we had any weapons on board. We did not so we told them no, at which point some baby faced kid says with utmost authority, "Well then! What do you call that?" as pointed at a bait knife. "Sir, that is a bait knife."

The BEST, however, part was when my buddy handed him his lifetime fishing license. Across the top it says LIFETIME. Idiot goes straight to the issue date and says to buddy... "This has expired." Hahaha. He felt real bright after that.

Point of the story, if a water **** can't figure out "Lifetime License" he may have a real hard time with an app.

Note: USCG, stick to maintaining navigational aides and go back to helping folks prior to imminent peril.

This story sounds like it suffers from atleast some mild embellishment
    Westwall01 wrote: »

I got boarded and was asked about weapons. I did say that we had spear guns on board. It didn't sound like these guys were interested in knowing about those weapons. Was either FWC or NPS, I don't remember.

Relayed exactly how it occurred. Unfortunately none of the other anglers are forum members to verify. Probably has something to do with folks who on here who constantly question validity of other member's claims.

One part of story I did leave out was that after the inflatable had the guys on our boat, the driver pulled away and was out doing donuts and jumping his own wake. Infuriating.
    Relayed exactly how it occurred. Unfortunately none of the other anglers are forum members to verify. Probably has something to do with folks who on here who constantly question validity of other member's claims.

One part of story I did leave out was that after the inflatable had the guys on our boat, the driver pulled away and was out doing donuts and jumping his own wake. Infuriating.

uh huh
    uh huh

What's your beef? Had you posted the exact same story I would not have doubted it for a second. I'm guessing personal USCG ties.

Ive posted the same story two or three times on here over the years. As true those times as this last time.

May I suggest you find a kite. That it activity would be substantially more productive than tossing around completely unfounded and baseless accusations.

Oh, and you find that coast guard story hard to believe, I'll definitely refrain from posting the most absurd story I've experienced with them.
    I didn't accuse you of anything pal........however I do find your story to be a little on the far fetched
    I didn't accuse you of anything pal........however I do find your story to be a little on the far fetched

The six of us were quite stunned when it occurred exactly how described... I'll give you that much.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Westwall wears a badge. That's his beef.
    Kinda what I figured. Not sure why my accurate description of the events Would get his nose out of whack, though. It's not like he was the one that stopped me.
  • MateauMateau Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Panhandler80, whether your situation is true or not, and im not defending the coast guard folks. BUT, sometimes they dont know ALL the laws or know the specifics of most laws. I say this as a JSO officer who has to deal with the base police and base military police. I have nothing against those folks nor would I hint towards that, but sometimes they dont know all the details of certain laws. and neither do I nor some of the people I work with. So their lack of knowledge or maybe since the captain did say they were new guys, there are a lot of kinks that have to be worked out with new LEOs. its annoying to be on the receiving end, I can understand, but have some understanding of the opposite end. I would probably have been annoyed a little, but understanding at the same time. and the harder you make it for them, the harder it will be for you. its easier to just go with the flow and get it over with and get back to fishing. stay safe out there.
    Mateau wrote: »
    Panhandler80, whether your situation is true or not, and im not defending the coast guard folks. BUT, sometimes they dont know ALL the laws or know the specifics of most laws. I say this as a JSO officer who has to deal with the base police and base military police. I have nothing against those folks nor would I hint towards that, but sometimes they dont know all the details of certain laws. and neither do I nor some of the people I work with. So their lack of knowledge or maybe since the captain did say they were new guys, there are a lot of kinks that have to be worked out with new LEOs. its annoying to be on the receiving end, I can understand, but have some understanding of the opposite end. I would probably have been annoyed a little, but understanding at the same time. and the harder you make it for them, the harder it will be for you. its easier to just go with the flow and get it over with and get back to fishing. stay safe out there.

There is no "whether" my description of what occurred is true. Interesting way to start your post.

I agree that both parties need to be patient, and believe me when I say that we were patient. It was just a bit over the top. Especially to be that far offshore and in a tournament (albeit, a charity / neighborhood deal).

Just seems like their time and our money would be better spent on maintaining navigational aides. If they want to go all homeland security on us, then okay, fine... that is now the LAW. Then... then if they want to check people's fish, well... learn ID in a classroom. Not on my time.

I've got 4 or 5 more USCG stories that I have been a part of, and all have been completely ridiculous. Did you know that a 34' boat at 15 knots can "endanger the life of crew and ship" by passing an anchored USCG Cobia... anchored about 100 yards outside the marked channel in the pass? Yeah. Probably about a 90 footer. He pulled anchor and as my boat was being tied up here he comes! Also said that my boat waked a sailboat and again "endangered life of crew"... TOTALLY fabricated. Potential charge? I wanna say up to $10,000 and 30 in the slammer. Went and found the sailboat, got a sworn affidavit from him... then about a year of back and forth with New Orleans. Finally got it dropped.

To heck with that.

Or the time...

I'll stop.

Anyway, even after all of this, I am ALWAYS easy to deal with. We were stopped about 20 out last summer and I sucked it up. They were nice that time. The time 42 off they were not pleasant... couple that attitude with being completely ill prepared to conduct the mission of that particular day was irritating.

"whether or not it was true" Bite me. I'm pretty sure I have "USCG stop at 40" in log book. I'll see if I can snap a pic for you.

Stand by.

EDIT: Nope. Thought I had mentioned that in log. Guess not.
  • MateauMateau Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Based on your response, you are probably a pretty reasonable person to deal with... This is the last time i side with you...
  • LungerLunger Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Can relate to Pan all day on this one. Unnerving to be boarded by 19 year olds with M4's and full mags. This happened to us as well. God bless them for what they do but they fumbled their way through the boarding/inspection as if it was their first time. Not sure they even knew what they were looking for. They had no clue about fish ID but wanted to see them all. I guess they thought maybe the fish may have been stuffed full of dope? I don't know. It was bizarre compared to all the FWC stops we have endured.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,341 Moderator
    I was one of three boats running Bimini to Miami one afternoon when a 90' USCG boat out of Miami started to follow us and turned on the blue lights. We all brought our boats down to idle and waited for them to catch up and slow down. Well they caught up, turned off the lights and kept steaming at about 25 knots, throwing a very large wake. One of the baots in my group was a Hewes redfisher that almost swamped. I tried to hail them on the radio but they ignored me and kept steaming. I wrote to the Commanding office at Coast Guard Miami Beach and never got a reply. USCG can be a pain but they are necessary.
  • snapperwhippersnapperwhipper Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Just turn 65 and you don't need all those pesky licenses, but you do need a valid drivers licenses!
    When all else fails...jiggle that wire:\
  • abacofeverabacofever Posts: 377 Officer
    No story that involves a boarding by the Coast Guard or Customs is outlandish. Every possibility exists. Over the past 30 years of running boats and flying on private aircraft and dealing with them I am about 50%. Maybe hedge a bit on the positive side.
    I have had some interactions that were just unbelievably bad. Customs guy had a hand on his gun calling for his backup one time, until he realized dispatch compleatly F'd up the records check. Coastguard commander wanted to know why I called his officers F'in morons while being held at the station in port Everglades. I Got an apology on that one. Literally had to pound on the door at Customs in Opalocka airport in the middle of the day to get them to open. No one there but us. Then they were pissed we pounded on the door after 20 min..
    I have also had wonderful, easy, no BS interactions with them. Just never know what you are going to get. I will say the last few years the interactions have been much better.
    In my experience the young ones are the worst. Anyone under 35, Including officers.
  • FishnTimFishnTim Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I was informed by a federal wildlife officer last weekend that for hunts on NWR lands THEY require paper licenses. Just my recent experience.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,341 Moderator
    Just turn 65 and you don't need all those pesky licenses, but you do need a valid drivers licenses!

Technically, you are correct, but to be "counted," go and get the Over 65 License, affectionately known as a Green Card. Most people do not know but every piece of fishing tackle you purchase contains a 10% federal excise tax. This money goes to the federal government and is distributed back to the states proportionate to the number of fishing licenses that state sells. Your free fishing license counts as a license that is sold, so to get more money back for your state, it helps for everyone eligible to possess the "free license" It took me about 15 minutes at the tax collectors office
    Over 65 you still need a license for some things... alligator helper guy license comes to mind. Maybe it's just special opp stuff that 65+ folks need.
  • gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 663 Officer
    Just got Checked By FWC in The woods hunting used the App he said nothing about the paper license.
  • muskyman73muskyman73 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Hey I bought a license online, checked the box to have it mailed and it has been two months. Any idea on the mailing of the license ? Or do I load an app on my phone for it, and what is it ? and am I legal carrying around the confirmation I got in the email ?
  • sandfleasandflea Posts: 31 Deckhand
    You don't need a license in federal waters.
    Supposed to be legit.