Parrot Fish?

bjacksonbjackson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
I just saw a pic of a "huge" Parrot fish taken from Guam waters. Are they protected here in Florida? Anybody around ever eat one? LOL

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,330 Moderator
    I have eaten them back home in Jamaica. Not gonna lie, they are delicious. However, the problem is that over-fishing them has led to a decline in the health of our island's reefs due to their crucial role in the coral ecosystem.
    Here in FL they are considered "Ornamental Reef fish" and are prohibited from harvest by spear. My reading thus far says they are allowed to be taken alive for aquariums and such if you have the proper commercial license.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • bjacksonbjackson Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks JC, Just curious. Sorry I don't a pic but this parrot was huge. My friend who is from Guam says they are considered good eating out there. Considered ornamental, That's why I didn't see any info in the fwc regs. I see it now. MAx 12 inches
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,330 Moderator
    Honestly, I wish they would ban harvest of Parrot fish back home in Jamaica, but asking them to give up on one of the easiest-to-spear fish (with historically good food-value) is futile. Conservation on a whole, is very difficult to establish in developing countries.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,328 AG
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I have eaten them back home in Jamaica. Not gonna lie, they are delicious. However, the problem is that over-fishing them has led to a decline in the health of our island's reefs due to their crucial role in the coral ecosystem.
    Here in FL they are considered "Ornamental Reef fish" and are prohibited from harvest by spear. My reading thus far says they are allowed to be taken alive for aquariums and such if you have the proper commercial license.

Good to hear.

Some decades ago, when I was younger and dumber, used to spear them out on the second reef off Port Everglades, only because they were so easy to hit. Brought home to display but didn't eat.

Typical idiot teenager.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time.