Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

DISH network or DIRECT TV...??

So lightning hit my neighbor's backyard and fried all his electrical stuff and messed up his outdoor kitchen....and at the same time it seems that my inside wiring is fried too. All signals are weak to my other TV's are working but my main one that has HD and premium channels is not..

I have comcast now...

Comcast dude came out yesterday and basically said they'd have to run new wires, at 100 bucks a pop (four of em) and that they'd have to run along the eves outside of the house and come down the side and go through the wall.....

I said DUDE !!....maybe in the hood that's okay, but I ain't "riggin' that on my house....I said don't you have a wireless deal......he said no but they should ATT does....

Which got me to thinkin'......maybe now's a good time to go shopping and get a wireless system.

So who knows this industry or has some good insight into what's best...( my house doesn't get att u-verse, i checked.

So I guess it's down to DIRECT TV or DISH NETWORK.....

Help please.......

Replies

• blu_devl_06blu_devl_06 Posts: 192 Officer
    I have direct tv. Have had all the others, and will never switch again. Customer service is phenomenal, signal rarely drops, and the entire system is user friendly.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,193 AG
    I prefer DISH. Unless your after a lot of sports, it is the one to go with. If you need the sports, expect to pay for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Parker33Parker33 Posts: 157 Deckhand
    DirecTv hands down, many more HD channels and total channels as well. If you want $10 off a month for 10 months, I can refer you. Just IM me.

Jimmmmy
    Jimmmmy[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 876 Officer
    My direct TV goes out if there's a sun shower within 5 miles.
    Parker33 wrote: »
    DirecTv hands down, many more HD channels and total channels as well. If you want $10 off a month for 10 months, I can refer you. Just IM me.

Jimmmmy

Pretty much all I watch is HD on DISH :huh

Out of 88 stations I have saved 18 are not HD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • DemonDemon Posts: 225 Deckhand
    There both about the same. I change between them every 2 yrs (contract length) in order to get the latest deal & new equipment.
    Flash wrote: »
    Pretty much all I watch is HD on DISH :huh

Out of 88 stations I have saved 18 are not HD.

http://hdtvprofessor.com/SatelliteTVService/satellite-comparison.html

An independent source...
    Jimmmmy[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks pretty even at 200 each, with Direct costing more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Demon wrote: »
    There both about the same. I change between them every 2 yrs (contract length) in order to get the latest deal & new equipment.

I like that plan. Glad it is working out for you.
  • pepperfirepepperfire Posts: 263 Deckhand
    Hey Steve we have had Direct TV for two years now and have been happy with it. But the price did go up like any others of course . But we hav ATT internet which is always slooooow
    We're about to Chang to uverse or I'm gonna switch it to my wife's name for the "new customer deals"
    FreeSpoolin' Fishing team
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,773 Admiral
    The question is not so much the TV, assuming the internet is dead too??......or is it?

All the TV stuff is so close it's not much of a call but what do you do about internet? Seems like you have to have the cable fixed anyway??

Or am I missing something?

We had this whole battle out in the woods of Palatka at the tree farm. No cable available and ALL the satellite internet stuff was metered such that it was going to cost a arm and a leg for us. Ended up with no TV......which is amazingly easy to get used to!

In fact so easy that we dumped it here at the house too, along with the phone. Comcast at about $70 a month. With Netflix and all the other free internet entertainment it's easy.

Though if sports is a priority, something I have not the slightest interest in, well then you gotta pay I think.....and pay big.
  • sicksecbeamersicksecbeamer Posts: 191 Deckhand
    I think you would still have to rewire the house....sounds like you got a lazy installer to be honest I had the same thing and told them no they then did it right granted I have a off grade house so they ran the wires under ground and up through the floor where I wanted it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joshie Squashie :signs:machinegun
    dvafla.com Just about any car customization you want.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 716 Officer
    Look into Sling TV, up and coming internet based TV
    Flash wrote: »
    Looks pretty even at 200 each, with Direct costing more.

What you failed to notice on the HD channels that Dish offers is that 120 of them are part time. DirecTv's HD channels are all full time.
    Jimmmmy[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What you failed to notice on the HD channels that Dish offers is that 120 of them are part time. DirecTv's HD channels are all full time.

Actually that means they offer BOTH SD/HD on those shows (you can see in on the grid), not that they are part time. If they were part time, it is not in my area, maybe where your at??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,520 Admiral
    Well talked to Direct tv yesterday...and have some significant savings as compared to comcast....but my God....that was like pulling teeth....they try to sell you everything and she tried to skim over the fact that they were gonna just deduct the monthly bill right out of my credit card each month (as a convenience)....I said whoa there lady, I ain't paying monthly with my credit card...I want to see a paper bill and pay from there.....so naturally there's a 5 dollar charge to decline auto pay...gmafb.

I supposedly had the bundle with internet, so she transferred me to the att uverse chick, and the same crap...sell this sell that....I said wait why do you want my credit card I thought I had the bundle ??....more double talk....so I said okay, I have wasted enough time...I'm punting....cut off the call.

So come to find out....back in Feb 2015 I got this letter from comcast that all my old equipment is out of date and that I need to come pick up new stuff to handle the higher speeds no charge. So I did. Now the lady tells me I signed a two year contract when I picked up the equipment....(insert dirty little hucksters imoticon here ) !! And I haven't had a contract since 1985 to boot. Well that did it....I said okay how much is it to just keep internet....she said 80 bucks !! I said dang ATT is 27....so I ask how much to just cancell the whole bundle I have., she said around 180....I said good...it'll be worth it not to do business with you. And hung up. Come home and realize all my interent , remaining tv and phones are out anyway, (not due to my call, btw) lol.....and oh yeah, I HAVE INSIDE WIRING PROTECTION !!.....But now it's a matter of principle.

So I went to my dock and went shrimpin'......caught 22 pounds of em too.!!! Who needs TV ??

So to answer the question...yes even the new company will have to some how run wiring. How I don't know, because even though some TV's will be wireless....the main one is hard wired. Also somewhere I'll have to hide an antenna, if I go with Direct.

I'm almost leaning towards just getting a high definition antenna....and just watch free HD Television.

Then I'd only have to get internet.....(att u-verse ? )

I'll figure out how to watch any premium channels later.....like netflix or HULU or something like that.

So who has an HD antenna.....do you like it ???
    My son has free broadcast TV. I agree that shrimping is better than TV and you will have more of a life with fewer channels

He gets a great hd picture from his few channels
  • rigginmaterigginmate Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Steve, I run an HD Antenna on all my TVs, along with Sling TV through amazon firebox/firestick. It's dirt cheap and I don't have to deal with Comcast. My only complaint is that the AT&T internet is very slow compared to my old Comcast. However, Comcast was costing me over $200/month. I'm under $100 with my setup now with internet.
    Brian Ferrell
    Whiskey Bent
  • SpongkingSpongking Posts: 959 Officer
    Id say grab nice antenaa and patch into "gods tv". Its free prime channels. May be an option. Comes in clear hd too with good signal. Did it for few years.
    Kev
  • NautienoughNautienough Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Directv is the better option in full circle. Do your research and you will see Dish doesn't even compare to quality of Directv ( PERIOD!)
  • blu_devl_06blu_devl_06 Posts: 192 Officer
    I would give up tv for a dock I could shrimp off of!!
    I would give up tv for a dock I could shrimp off of!!

Yes that dock is something I have dreamed of all my life. Maybe it will happen some day.
  • inshoreinshore Posts: 255 Deckhand
    We are very happy with Directv. Hopefully At&t will not ruin them.
  • FirmanjaxFirmanjax Posts: 382 Deckhand
    We currently have Uverse. Had for about 7-8 months now and have been very happy with it. We had direct for tv and comcast for internet. That was costing us a fortune. Never really had any problems with direct. Reception was pretty good. It would go out for a few minutes if we had a big storm. Comcast cable out here might be out for hours. It was way more unrealiable. Main reason for switching was the money. Saved around 120 bucks a month. The comcast internet had gone from 45 to 80 bucks a month with no difference in service. So far the uverse has been fine. If you want to consider it though find out how far you are from the box that it comes from. They have a 6000 ft limit but the farther away you are the slower it will be. Its in my front yard so I'm good.

I'll take some of those shrimp now. :)
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,520 Admiral
    inshore wrote: »
    We are very happy with Directv. Hopefully At&t will not ruin them.

I think it's too late !!!
    Firmanjax wrote: »
    We currently have Uverse. Had for about 7-8 months now and have been very happy with it. We had direct for tv and comcast for internet. That was costing us a fortune. Never really had any problems with direct. Reception was pretty good. It would go out for a few minutes if we had a big storm. Comcast cable out here might be out for hours. It was way more unrealiable. Main reason for switching was the money. Saved around 120 bucks a month. The comcast internet had gone from 45 to 80 bucks a month with no difference in service. So far the uverse has been fine. If you want to consider it though find out how far you are from the box that it comes from. They have a 6000 ft limit but the farther away you are the slower it will be. Its in my front yard so I'm good.

I'll take some of those shrimp now. :)

Shrimp were gone last night....only sporadic.....lost interest , and changed to trout fishing....caught 8 or 10 up to 3 pounds !!

I can only get u-verse itnernet, not tv...since i'm too far away.

Called back to direct tv yesterday and finally had to ask to speak to a regular ol southern english speaking person...:willynilly

Had her explain exactly what I signed up for with direct the day before....and got a completely different list of channels and packages.....the internet they wanted to give me with my "package" was 27 bucks ...BUT ONLY FOR A LIMITED TIME...after which it was to go up to 69 bucks :willynilly

I finally said just cancel my order....I'm sure now I'm gonna go with just comcast internet, cancel home phone and cable and go with a HD antenna.....and live with that.

The internet alone will be 70 bucks which is still too high...but a whole lot cheaper than the 200 I pay now so I can watch a handful of channels, and have every other Tom **** and Harry, call at all hours trying to solicit me something on the phone.

......No offense if your name is Tom **** or Harry......:cool:

I never realized trying to buy a cable package was so "teeth pulling"......:spin

Oh and "MY DOCK" is my community dock.....but nobody uses it but me and a couple more people....so I claim it as "mine"...(without the taxes :grin ).

Back to trout fishing tonight !!:fishing
  • Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 275 Deckhand
    Betcha the wires are not really bad, maybe bad amp, splitter, or just the equipment.

By the way,I was able to run wires through the walls in AL's house next door with no issues.