Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Finally had to vent one yesterday.

13»

Replies

• MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    subcreep wrote: »
    Just get rid of the trolls and all will be well. Just my $.02.

Problem is, one man's troll is another man's expert.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • subcreepsubcreep Posts: 282 Officer
    Menzies wrote: »
    Problem is, one man's troll is another man's expert.

I do not disagree with this opinion, however there does seem to be people on these forums that delight in starting arguments and those are the people I'm talking about. These people are pretty easy to spot, they randomly jump into these discussions just to start dissent. People that just have strong opinions are okay by me, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But as this post shows, even the most strongly opinionated are capable of re-assessing those opinions and heading down to Strike Zone/West Marine to buy deep-water return devices!
    “Still one thing more, fellow citizens–a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” Thomas Jefferson 1801
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,198 Officer
    Menzies wrote: »
    Problem is, one man's troll is another man's entertainment.

FTFY - Welcome to the interwebs.
  • CaptnathanstuartCaptnathanstuart Posts: 689 Officer
    Tony i think we have yours and steves opinion down pat over the 347 different ways you posted it....once both yall learn that your opinion is only needed with one reply alot better this place will be.....i dont need your opinion 352 times on 1 subject once is enough
    This is an opion forum not a debte forum. State your opinion then move on
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,410 Officer
    For the love of baby jesus if you dont like the way somebody is doing something call fwc, lord knows they are rollin around in 2016 yellowfin bay boats (as posted on their site). If yall dont stop im going to deep fry a 30lber whole and invite all yall over for dinner! Ive never seen so many grown men act like children in all my life.

Favorite one so far:funnypost
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,410 Officer
    dlagator wrote: »
    I like to vent toadfish...and I like beer.

It's just so funny to watch all the egos go at each other.

2nd favorite post so far :)
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,948 Captain
    I'm not against making adjustments. Nobody is perfect. People voiced concern about partially lifting Tarpon out of the water and I changed my handling of Tarpon accordingly. No big deal. For the sake of argument, I picked up a Fish Saver. Do I agree that venting Bull Reds is life threatening? No. But, there is a less controversial alternative and here we are. At times though, I get the feeling that these debates are less about fish conservation and more a smoke screen for hurt egos. I'll play along though.
  • NannaPhobicNannaPhobic Posts: 173 Officer
    Who got banned? :shrug

"ONLY vent fish with OBVIOUS BAROTRAUMA....Fish that are bloated, stomach poking from mouth, or obvious positive buoyancy".

I happen to agree with the above statement.

I'm guessing that less than 5% of the breeder reds I've caught had obvious positive bouyancy and were in need of venting (fishing in 40+ feet of water with medium spinning tackle). Boat side release, fish facing the current, held by the tail (often times using a Boga Grip to maintain control of the fish's head), using a side to side motion to dissipate lactic acid build up until I feel the fish is ready. "Floaters" are few and far between.

DSC01406.jpg

My two cents...spend em anyway ya wanna.

:banana
    "It's all wet underwater!"
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,221 Admiral
    Steve, I wasn't here to hurt any egos. This was started to show others you don't need to vent every fish you catch, that you should only vent when there is no other way. You were obviously mistaken, misquoting Don over and over again so I cleared that confusion up for you. It sounds like you have given up venting, and will now take a much more responsible approach. No one can give you any more beef for "shanking redfish" because that is behind you now. Everyone wins, including our redfishery..... thank you!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,241 Officer
    I'm not against making adjustments. Nobody is perfect. People voiced concern about partially lifting Tarpon out of the water and I changed my handling of Tarpon accordingly. No big deal. For the sake of argument, I picked up a Fish Saver. Do I agree that venting Bull Reds is life threatening? No. But, there is a less controversial alternative and here we are. At times though, I get the feeling that these debates are less about fish conservation and more a smoke screen for hurt egos. I'll play along though.
    great opinion Steve except for the unnecessary last sentence. And you wonder why people bash and hate on you just my opinion
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,221 Admiral
    NANNA! Call me sometime! :)
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    Each thread should have a max for number of replies one can make
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,098 Captain
    Each thread should have a max for number of replies one can make

Yeah and youve reached yours LOL
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Last over sized redbass I caught had small isopod type parasites on its tail fin. Should I have removed 1 or all of them? I may try to catch 75 reds, and for the first twenty five I will not removed the crustaceans, the second batch I will remove the crustaceans, and the third batch I will remove and eat the crustaceans. I will attach one of these fish descending devices to the redbass, and will be followed with scuba gear for at least an hour..
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    ...and the third batch I will remove and eat the crustaceans.
    :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao the sacrifices we make for science.:grin
  • Black PearlBlack Pearl Posts: 1,155 Officer
    Missing Florida. Not this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Great Daye Fishing Team"
    '14 Pathfinder 22 TRS (sold :()
    Yamaha F200
  • sicksecbeamersicksecbeamer Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Anna wrote: »
    That is the first one that he looked at. Definitely looks like the ticket, so we went up to SZ for that specific device. They had it in stock, but they didn't have the shallow water version that opens at 30 ft, only the one that opens at 50 ft. Dave showed Steve and Leon the one in the pic I posted earlier instead. They wanted to try it because it's made locally. Thanks for sharing the info.

Oh my understanding is the west Marine version "BlackTip" was when the weight hits the bottom it would release the Bogrip on the fish so it can swim away?
    Joshie Squashie :signs:machinegun
    dvafla.com Just about any car customization you want.
  • Stevie WonderStevie Wonder Posts: 76 Deckhand
    What size yeti do you recommend for releasing bull redfish in? Doess it make a difference if you vent them or torpedo them into the cooler? Can you leave them on ice for the full 5 days?
  • KnotabiteKnotabite Posts: 332 Officer
    I'd go with the biggest yeti u can get. I use a Coleman with a yeti sticker on one side and a blue salt life sticker on the other and fill it half way with ring tail porgies to insulate the bull reds and they will stay cold for days this way. I do use one of those down rigger upper release thingamajigs to release the carcass when I get around to cleaning them. Good luck
  • SeaAnchorSeaAnchor Posts: 254 Deckhand
    I use the same cooler that I keep my baby manatee and nassau grouper in...
    crowder-1.gif
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,519 Admiral
    Poke the eyeballs out so they'll sink....everybody knows that....:willynilly
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Sea Snake wrote: »
    Poke the eyeballs out so they'll sink....everybody knows that....:willynilly

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Brother DaveBrother Dave Posts: 595 Officer
    just ban all threads relating to bull reds...or logs...or whatever they're called...lol
  • LightTackleKingLightTackleKing Posts: 160 Officer
    Holy cow, this is crazy.. Who cares, it seems like just 2 egos that are made from a forum and social media ONLY are non stop going back and fourth.. Its a bull red, one of the easiest fish to target and catch, everyone has different ways and beliefs on how to vent and when to vent just let it go. All Ego's dang... Fun read tho, its like two peewee football players fighting for the 3rd string job...
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,198 Officer
    ...or logs...or whatever they're called...lol

Brown Trout?
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,427 Officer
    Logs haha. Oh lord those were the best!