Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Finally had to vent one yesterday.

Replies

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,100 Captain
    From what i have read so far venting is now shown to cause infections in the body cavity and is no longer the preferred way to decompress fish. The preferred method is like steve (sea snake) said use a deep water release mechanism, jamie (bro schro) has also posted pictures of a device he uses. Here is the alaska game and fish commisson telling people not to vent rockfish because it can cause infection they point to the deep water release mechanisms i will look for more studies down to post up
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,948 Captain
    Picked one up today. Leon did as well. My only concern is its functionality in Full moon and Spring Tide currents. If all goes well I'll only release Reds this way in the future. The method seems sound enough. Although it does require a small hole in the fishes lower jaw. Or the alternative of going through the mouth and gill plate. I think going through the jaw may be the better of the two options. I was recommended this product by Dave Workman and Strike Zone does carry the device. It's called "The Fish Saver" and it's made by "Roy's Electric Reels". This is a local business.
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,620 Moderator
    got to go get me one..now that the bash is over i actually have some free time lol

well for a few weeks at least
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • AnnaAnna Posts: 185 Deckhand
    Here is a photo of the one he is going to try out. The weight is 4 lbs.
    St. Johns Management Services | Property Management | Association Management | www.stjohnsmgt.com
    So you hook it up and I assume you lower the fish slowly to the bottom then wait a min to revive or pop off fast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,948 Captain
    Yah. The hook is pulled back up from the bend in the hook. It has no barb so there is no resistance.
  • GaffitGaffit Posts: 580 Officer
    We are talking 40ft of water right? Maybe limit your charters to one group picture and not every fish that hits the deck. Try treating the fish like a billfish and unhook it next to the boat, start the reviving method immediately, if the fish isn't showing any strength (after a solid revive attempt) then go to plan "bomb it to the bottom".
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,241 Officer
    Enough of this bull reds talk. Who what to go catch some shrimp. Lol
  • CaptnathanstuartCaptnathanstuart Posts: 689 Officer
    For the love of baby jesus if you dont like the way somebody is doing something call fwc, lord knows they are rollin around in 2016 yellowfin bay boats (as posted on their site). If yall dont stop im going to deep fry a 30lber whole and invite all yall over for dinner! Ive never seen so many grown men act like children in all my life.
  • CaptnathanstuartCaptnathanstuart Posts: 689 Officer
    And if you dont like what somebody is doing change your day job, become a FWC, and make change. Everyone beating their chest via a keyboard. Prob eating a hot pocket your mom made you.
    That was rather funny nate lol

And how true!!!

www.jccarpetcare.com
    Gaffit wrote: »
    We are talking 40ft of water right? Maybe limit your charters to one group picture and not every fish that hits the deck. Try treating the fish like a billfish and unhook it next to the boat, start the reviving method immediately, if the fish isn't showing any strength (after a solid revive attempt) then go to plan "bomb it to the bottom".

You can get good pics with the fish in the water next to the boat..but if their bladder is filled with air still got to get them down

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • Skinin&GrininSkinin&Grinin Posts: 230 Officer
    Nate made a funny...somebody screen shot that ��
  • Reel Mayhem TooReel Mayhem Too Posts: 1,332 Officer
    I try and stay out of these conversations as I have found that most people refuse to be taught anything and trying to do so only causes frustration. I will pose a few thoughts though as to my thinking and experience. 1) Scientific studies should not be publicly funded, how many times have we been told that something was going to kill us only to be told ten years later that it is actually good for us and then in another ten.....it's legalized stealing. Common sense won't get you to the moon but it will get you most places safely. 2) I have caught a lot of deep fishes ( 100' -200' ) and a lot of redfish in 1' - 80' of water. I keep hearing a consensus on the matter of using heavy tackle and getting the fish up FAST, that's not the way I do it. I have always used medium tackle whether fishing the channel for reds or fishing the break for groupers but I fish for the thrill of the fight. I have had to vent a few fish but the #s probably equate to .01%, i have had snapper come up with their stomach hanging out of their mouths only to be fine by the time I got the vent out of the post, they swam down fine. I have released fish that swim in circles on the surface for twenty minutes before diving down , a local well known charter Capt. taught me that they usually will if something doesn't eat them. He was right. If you don't lock a drag with big tackle but let him fight and play him to the boat with medium pressure he may expend more energy overall but it is moderated and he comes up slower. What a shock that must be to the vitals ( think human seizure ) to be winched up while expending every ounce of energy that you can to resist only to be stabbed and sent back down exhausted. 3) Handling a fish to vent it after it has been traumatized in the afore mentioned way can't help it any. Using a wet glove and taking a quick picture before replacing the fish in the water until it kicks away just seems way less stressful to me. I have on occasion changed my mind about keeping a legal grouper 10 minutes after it had been on ice, I have done this numerous times mind you and ( no I wasn't culling for bigger fish ) they jumped out of my grasp the moment they saw water a swam down hard (Slowing their metabolism and balancing the blood ? ). I am sure that over the years that I may have unknowingly lost a few more than fish than I know about but not many. 4) Bringing petty BS feuds to this board that have absolutely nothing to do with honest deliberation is a major factor of why a lot of very exp. Capts. don't post anymore, their exp. was invaluable. 5) I am no angel around here, I usually lurk most threads until one is just over the top ( IMO ) at which point I just speak my mind, political correctness and feelings be damned. There is no one solution to the survivability of a hooked fish, you just need to know the options and use common sense when deciding on how you fish and release in any given situation. We will all lose a few fish in our lives and that is no different than those few fish that get away, nature has a way of balancing itself out. I have let more go healthy than I have taken for the grill so every release attempt, successful or not, i'm sure the fish appreciates.
  • ganny76ganny76 Posts: 250 Deckhand
    I can speak for the newbies, as I am prolly one of the greenest here. I appreciate threads like this. (Minus the BS) I for one do not want to be the guy sending floaters down the river, which is exactly what would happen without threads like this. So thank you to all that are contributing to this thread and the others like it that contain beneficial knowledge for us greenies.

• GaffitGaffit Posts: 580 Officer
    My point is surface time. When you pull the hook next to the boat the fish swims down right away. At least my experience. Even when you go to net them, they still have a lot of energy. Trying to keep as much energy stored in the fish will highly increase the survival rate. This discussion is tiring but much needed.

:Horse
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Youse guys need to eat more fish....
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • FirstbiteFirstbite Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Most of the studies done show that venting fish actually lowered thier survival rates. With that being said, it makes no sense to me to vent a fish unless it is absolutely nessesary, in my opinion. So far, out of 30 releases, I've only had one fish that would not go down. All 30 fish were caught in 40' of water. The one that needed to be vented was the largest and also the longest fight of them all so far, which is important to note.

I'm not challenging you, I've been following the posts and know this can go south but I just want to educate myself.....can you post links to some of the studies that indicate venting is bad for the fish?
  • sicksecbeamersicksecbeamer Posts: 191 Deckhand
    West marine has a "fish descending device", I posted 3 different versions on the "closed thread" the west marine did not pierce the fish's lip but grabbed it like a bogrip

Joshie Squashie :signs:machinegun
    dvafla.com Just about any car customization you want.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    The daily drama is the exact reason many don't post much anymore, myself included. Unfortunately, I hardly read the threads anymore because of the BS and I use to check for updates a couple times a day. It's ridiculous..... I fish to enjoy myself, clear my mind and de-stress, not to watch grown men get *****ty with each other every day. I try to be cordial to everyone, all walks of life, all the time. This is crazy, get a grip....

Dave, don't let that nonsense bother you. We (the vast majority of us) greatly appreciate what you voluntarily do so that we may share and learn something from one another (between the bickering).

Menzies wrote: »
    Youse guys need to eat more fish....

Fish sticks...

• AnnaAnna Posts: 185 Deckhand
    West marine has a "fish descending device", I posted 3 different versions on the "closed thread" the west marine did not pierce the fish's lip but grabbed it like a bogrip

That is the first one that he looked at. Definitely looks like the ticket, so we went up to SZ for that specific device. They had it in stock, but they didn't have the shallow water version that opens at 30 ft, only the one that opens at 50 ft. Dave showed Steve and Leon the one in the pic I posted earlier instead. They wanted to try it because it's made locally. Thanks for sharing the info.
    St. Johns Management Services | Property Management | Association Management | www.stjohnsmgt.com
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,222 Admiral
    Again, I think this is a very important subject. In all of these threads, I have been nothing but nice until someone insulted me more than once for no reason, so no one should think I'll feel "challenged", etc. I havnt said anything is certain in this debate, only noting my own my own personal observations, and those of highly respected local captains.

The main one I want to post won't give me a link.... but I've copied the pdf and if you search "venting fish increased mortality" you will find this and several others.

This one, conducted by Gene R. Wilde, was particularly interesting since he compiled 17 different studies on the subject on 40 different species. Here is a few points from his study:

Screenshot_2015-08-31-22-42-22_zpsnttadaru.png

Screenshot_2015-08-31-22-41-29_zpstsjrr7de.png

Screenshot_2015-08-31-22-40-38_zpsjrwv4a1h.png

When you search "venting fish increases mortality" you will see this link that you can click on, which automatically downloads the entire pdf so you can read it at length. Click on the link from Texas Tech university.

Screenshot_2015-08-31-23-04-03_zpswkc2ulvs.png

If you continue to browse, you will see many others, like-

Screenshot_2015-08-31-22-04-32_zpsmjd71bit.png

You can also ask our local fish and wildlife officers. I'm sure they will tell you exactly as thier site does, to ONLY vent fish with OBVIOUS BAROTRAUMA. As in fish that are bloated, stomach poking from mouth, or obvious positive bouyancy.

http://m.myfwc.com/research/saltwater/fish/snook/reduce-catch-release-mortality/

In thier own studies in the link above, you will see that they have found that over 90% of all fish studied were able to return to the bottom without venting, which has also been my own and Don Dingmans, for example, local observations as well.

But I just read above that Steve has bought a decompression device which is wonderful. If I have changed one guides mind that previously vented all of his fish, every day. I think many more of our breeding stock will survive now!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    The daily drama is the exact reason many don't post much anymore, myself included. Unfortunately, I hardly read the threads anymore because of the BS and I use to check for updates a couple times a day. It's ridiculous..... I fish to enjoy myself, clear my mind and de-stress, not to watch grown men get *****ty with each other every day. I try to be cordial to everyone, all walks of life, all the time. This is crazy, get a grip....

Dave, don't let that nonsense bother you. We (the vast majority of us) greatly appreciate what you voluntarily do so that we may share and learn something from one another (between the bickering).

thanks..i am sorry i have been so pilled up with stuff that i actually let things get a bit out of hand and out of control..things have changed as of yesterday..that was the first banning of many to come when derails and personal attacks come..i dont subscribe to anyone bullying me or anyone else..this forum will become drama free and fun again i can promise you that

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • dlagatordlagator Posts: 790 Officer
    I like to vent toadfish...and I like beer.

It's just so funny to watch all the egos go at each other.
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,198 Officer
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    Fish sticks...

You like fish sticks? You like to put fish sticks in your mouth? What are you, a gay fish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1sBPXCHfo
    ^^^Exactly! That still cracks me up every time I see it...

• subcreepsubcreep Posts: 282 Officer
    I think you do a pretty good job Dave. I frequently stay quiet on these forums, but I do think that this is a topic that is in much need of conversation. I think common sense dictates stabbing a fish with an ice pick is probably going to open that fish up to bacterial infection, especially in our local waters were bacterial infestations seem pretty common. You can already see perceptions changing as a result of this post and I think that's kind of what these forums are for. There seem to still be enough people on here that want these forums to be useful. Just get rid of the trolls and all will be well. Just my $.02.
    “Still one thing more, fellow citizens–a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.” Thomas Jefferson 1801