Crystal River man made island for sale on ebay

I was looking around on eBay and I saw this. Some guy bought this barge from government surplus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-X-24-Floating-ONE-OF-A-KIND-Private-Man-Made-Island-Crystal-River-FL-/191665998374

I can't see any use for it. But I thought it was kind of interesting. I guess it was a government scallop project.

Id like some waterfront property but I'll pass on this.

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    Maybe someone can open up a bait shack on it :)
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,160 Moderator
    Tiki bar ..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    If it had electricity, it would have a lot of potential ;-)
    Don't believe the claim that the metal is worth "tens of thousands". Scrap prices are super low right now.
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,725 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    Tiki bar ..

You get my vote!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,750 AG
    Generator, ice, beer, bait.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Somebody cleaned all the bird poop off before they took the photos...
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,920 AG
    Yep, it was a sea grant scallop project ran by Prof. Norm Blake from UF.
    Kept all the grant money and didn't compensate those that participated in the project, even though they had signed contracts.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SouldeepSouldeep Posts: 269 Officer
    It was on Ocal4sale for awhile... I thought it might be a scam but I guess it's legit.
    Pro Line 251 - 225 Optimax
    Fisher 1754 - 60 Merc

2 boats is 2 to many and at least 1 shy of enough
  • Oldfox1939Oldfox1939 Posts: 521 Officer
    Generator, ice, beer, bait.

How could you make the place secure?……..hire a guard 24/7 with a shot gun?
  • mLuMaN83mLuMaN83 Posts: 108 Officer
    I was wondering what that thing was... Had bird poop all over it 2 weeks ago lol.
    We could use it for bash's ..
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,725 Captain
    mLuMaN83 wrote: »
    I was wondering what that thing was... Had bird poop all over it 2 weeks ago lol.

I have always called it "The Bird Rack"...guess the poop proves that theory...I wonder what the guy originally paid for it if he really did purchase it from government surplus.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,829 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Yep, it was a sea grant scallop project ran by Prof. Norm Blake from UF.
    Kept all the grant money and didn't compensate those that participated in the project, even though they had signed contracts.

I think we built it .
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,920 AG
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    I think we built it .
    I think y'all did too if my memory serves me correctly.

Glenn, there were bird racks all along the Big Bend but they're long gone cept for a few pilings, there is some pilings from one just SW of the last Fish Creek marker, probably due west of Tank Island.
    http://www.fivay.org/bird_racks.html

Scallop rack is just a failed Sea Grant experiment and was built around 1996 or so.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Use it as a Launch Pad for some big-**** rockets!!!
    23895.gif
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 599 Officer
    Not familiar with its location, but would make a heck of a duck blind
  • Red612Red612 Posts: 284 Deckhand
    Not familiar with its location, but would make a heck of a duck blind

I like that idea.:thumbsup
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    Jons beer,bait and BBQ
  • Little_GeneLittle_Gene Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Jons beer,bait and BBQ

THIS!
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    I really wonder about this, but hate to say it, I am going to be checking it out and see what its all about. Anyone know any information on it and if that is something that could be owned? I am actually interested in this and have an idea about how to use it, always have and now might actually be able to do something with it if its legit. I mean anyone can say they are selling something like that, generate fake documents for ownership, etc..., so if anyone has anything more on it, that would be helpful. I have made contact with the guy and plan on going out there and taking a dive on it and see what condition the pilings are in, because if they are bad and need to be replaced, that would make it worthless to purchase simply for cost of replacing the pilings. One would need a barge with a crane and then they should actually be replaced with metal like the channel markers to last longer than the wood ones.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    Yeah I just wonder how anyone could actually "own" this. There's no property deed or anything to be had since you can't own the open ocean right? How do you prove it's yours? How do you keep people off it?
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I can't imagine what your idea would be for this but I'm curious? Nobody here is going to steal your idea. What are you thinking maybe we can help. Other than research grants or educational endeavors I can't see any profitable venture.

I would be very careful and lawyer up if your serious. His statement about the scrap value kind of kills his credibility in my mind. Like dockside says it is not worth much at all in scrap especially when you add in the cost to haul it out of there and then get a crane to get it out of the water and then cut it up and get it in a truck then to a scrap yard. Plus posting it on eBay is telling also.

Who owns all of those islands out there? I would guess the Feds or the state.
    We can dream can't we ? Someone call the guy :shrug
    capt louie wrote: »
    We can dream can't we ? Someone call the guy :shrug

Oh I am serious, I have spoken with him and currently working on it. I will let you guys know when time is right but would prefer in private message after I get my tank wet and check it out. It will be beyond great and I will be seeking legal advice and your professional help with certain aspects when the time is right.

I am just curious as to legitimacy. Like the old Air Force radio towers to the south. They are not used to my knowledge anymore but are they something that can or has been sold as surplus and someone owns a portion of the gulf? Lots of questions to be answered, but I am saying screw it, go for it and believe in myself that I and the wife can make it work and if the numbers work for me, I'm going for it.
    Lots of questions to be answered, but I am saying screw it, go for it and believe in myself that I and the wife can make it work and if the numbers work for me, I'm going for it.

Cool , good luck. :Popcorn
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 936 Officer
    Definitely interesting... Awesome proximity to fishing and scallop traffic. Someone would rent it as stilt rental cottage probably. But weather hazards and legal rights would be issues. Power could be some combination of wind, solar, generator or power inverter? Or maybe just an investment, it is unique..
    Well good Morning everyone............I thought I would update you on my little venture to this thing.

First off, if there was ANYONE there fishing and I disrupted it, I am truly sorry. I did my very best to try not to get in anyone's way and keep the idling to a minimum, but as everyone knows, there are people that fish around this thing, and by the time I got into position to drop anchor, I really did not need to hear the cussing and other rudeness towards me, my wife and kids, especially my kids hearing this nonsense. That was probably the first time I realized at that point this was not going to be something I or anyone could do anything with because of that. Just poor manners. I am always, and I mean ALWAYS considerate of other people in life, whether its driving, waiting at the ramp or anything in general and just laugh at it, so I found this just absurd for people to act like they did. Unacceptable. That being said, if ANYONE was do anything with this thing, be prepared to be called every name in the book accessing your own property. I could see retribution from some of the classless people that are pissed off that you are out there making noise ruining their fishing by doing whatever in the form of vandalism or theft or cursing you like a dog. At this point I did not have a good vibe about it.

The next thing I noticed was that in the advertisement, it stated one of the pilings was broken off at the top. Well the ad should have said at the waterline or below, because there were only 5 of the six pilings remaining. I did dive it and tried my best to see what I could see under the waterline, but the water was so murky, that I could not see more than a foot or two in front of my face. The pilings below the water line look good from what I could see, but I could never determine how far under the water the broken piling was. It was a dark abyss under there and I had no idea what was living under there, so I got as close as I could and used the go pro with a stick to get really close to the structure and pilings. I will tell you that is a big hunkin piece of dock as it extends anywhere from 3-4 feet under the waterline, serious framing around the areas where the pilings come through and very very massive under the waterline, which was a bit of a surprise. But here is the second issue. I could see, not that I am an expert in engineering or hydrology (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.....lol), but a couple things came to mind. If the structure was designed to be used with 6 pilings and one of them is missing, what kind of stresses are being placed on the remaining 5 pilings. Additionally, since the thing is meant to rise and fall with the tides and wave action, there is a better than good chance that one day a storm comes through, raising the sea enough to allow that one corner to clear the top of the broken off piling and then when it comes down, it grabs that remaining piling and hangs there, leaving the rest of the platform to come down, so now if you can imagine the platform being caught there all catawhompus........you would require a crane to get it lifted to get it straightened and then you would be left where you began, so that piling should be replaced in my opinion. I think its just a matter of time before something happens to another piling or worse. This being said, someone better have some serious cash and/or resouces to make it work for whatever they were thinking. If one was to involve any type of food prep or anything of that nature, I think you may have a hard time because of all the bird poop and birds there, and would be there all the time, unless you made something permanent, but again, cost is the big thing for that. I have checked and researched and food permits would be required along with department of health inspections if there is anything doing with food, then you have the environment to deal with making sure you are not polluting.

So in closing, I thought I would let everyone know what I saw, what I thought and pass on information to all so you can decide for yourself if your interested. I know at this point I am not, too much investment for not much return and high risk. I guess the platform itself would be awesome for something if you could get it towed to somewhere and dock it or moor it, but I bet you cannot just leave the pilings there as they would have to be removed, so once again, big cost I am sure in doing just that.
    remove duplicate
    Thanks for the update. The piling repair/replacement might be negotiated in the purchase price but any food prep/sales would need to come off of a pomtoon boat or something similar tied to it. That may not be an easy permit to get. Platform as a seating area ?

A bait station would be easier but would only be seasonal . Still be cool to have if money wasn't an issue.

A shame about the rudeness .
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I think he is planning to steal my idea about launching big-**** rockets.
    23895.gif