Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ozello 8/29 No Fish Harmed

Idled out at first light to fish the outside oyster bars armed with a 9wt and a freshly tied white "baitfish" fly. Bars were fully exposed and I'm thinking the bite was over before it begun. After a battle with a ladyfish and some jacks I headed in to fish some point for Reds, but boy it was getting skinny today and reds were scarce for me.

Did take some great photos and film though and met the family at Peck's for a tasty lunch.

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    :thumbsup
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Thatz a cool shot of your #9weight back in what looks like the middle of a dbl. haul w/ the sun and clouds! I'm w/ you on the white-bait flys for searching the bars but would switch to something darker for the reds inside. I love bent-backs for whitebait flys as I very rarely get snagged and usually get a nice hook-up in the top of their mouth! You can tye them w/ a very small thin profile to match the small baitfish this time of year. Seeing yer photo make me want to get out and throw some line but it's just too dadburned hot out there for a old geezer like me to go buggy whippin!! I keep telling myself "It's gonna cool down soon> only a month or so to go!"
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,676 Captain
    Cool photo and I bet that red in your other video was fun too.
    Hats off to you or anyone else that has the patience for fly fishing.
    I tried it twice about 20 yrs. ago. On my second try, I learned that I could throw a fly rod further than I could cast one.:)
    Its on the bottom of cowpen lake in Hawthorne if anyone needs it. I will stick to my spooks and live bait.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,730 Captain
    Thatz a cool shot of your #9weight back in what looks like the middle of a dbl. haul w/ the sun and clouds! I'm w/ you on the white-bait flys for searching the bars but would switch to something darker for the reds inside. I love bent-backs for whitebait flys as I very rarely get snagged and usually get a nice hook-up in the top of their mouth! You can tye them w/ a very small thin profile to match the small baitfish this time of year. Seeing yer photo make me want to get out and throw some line but it's just too dadburned hot out there for a old geezer like me to go buggy whippin!! I keep telling myself "It's gonna cool down soon> only a month or so to go!"

I like to keep things simple when it comes to flies. What you describe with the bent back style of streamer is similar to what I have in my box along with some shrimp/crab variations, Crease flies, Grugglers, etc...

I'm ready for a COOL down too and looking forward to the return of hungry trout on the flats. They are a blast to catch on the fly rod!

-Glenn
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,730 Captain
    4WARD wrote: »
    Cool photo and I bet that red in your other video was fun too.
    Hats off to you or anyone else that has the patience for fly fishing.
    I tried it twice about 20 yrs. ago. On my second try, I learned that I could throw a fly rod further than I could cast one.:)
    Its on the bottom of cowpen lake in Hawthorne if anyone needs it. I will stick to my spooks and live bait.

Thanks! Ha Ha!

I've never wanted to throw my fly rods in the water or wherever, but I would like to kick the pedestal seat, trolling motor handle, boat railing, and anything else that snags my fly line while I'm trying to cast! One of these days I'll have me one of those boats with a clean WIDE OPEN deck to fly fish out of. Then I'll just need to find me a "Pole Monkey" to push me around all day while I fish!:banana